.257 Roberts for antelope?

Quote:
P.S. The 7828 load I'm using in the 243 is actually averaging around 3270 on the chrono. The load is substantially lower than what is published in current manuals and is only 2/10ths of a grain from a sticky bolt, so I will not post the load. Get a chrono and gradually work up on the 7828...you'll be surprised.

The fastest documented load I know of for 7828 is 3100 fps give or take a little change. That a MAX load. I want you to shore that documented load with us and where you got it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Theres a point when hunting stops and shooting begins. Whats long range to 1, is not to another. I'm not here to get into long range pissin matches with anyone. However, if you dont know what your doing at LR, I agree, you dont need to be "lobbing" bullets at 700-800 yards. However on the other hand when you have 700-800 yard targets that you practice regularly on and can hit with in good conditions, what gives?? That makes me a bad hunter now?? Whatever happened to being a good shooter? Isn't there a point when hunting stops and shooting begins?? People that havne't seen somebody shoot LR the right way dont know what there missing. You get the bad idea from idiots. Go out with someone who knows what there doing and chances are you'll probly be pretty intrigued and want to learn more. Its not that hard, but more frustrating then anything. Learn the basics and equipment used and practice, practice, practice. What freaking more can you ask for??

I dont know if your calling me out, or calling me an idiot, or whatever, but I can tell you I'm far from being the "average joe" who shoots a box of shells a year through his 270 or 30-06 and calls it "good" when you hit the paper plate. I shoot at least 1500 rounds a year through my rifles at 300 yards and farther, thanks. ONly time I shoot under 300 yards is to develop loads, after that its a waste of time.

115g NBT at 3200fps will have 1700fps and a tad over 700ft lbs at 800 yards. More then sufficient to kill a little 125lb goat. Thanks. Any more idiotic questions???

Think outside the box here folks.

Quote:

The fastest documented load I know of for 7828 is 3100 fps give or take a little change. That a MAX load. I want you to shore that documented load with us and where you got it.

What can I say, your documentation is flawed and includes the liability fudge factor for ham fisted reloaders. And no I won't "shore" my load with you for the same obvious reasons....get off the darn couch and go work up your own.

Heres a published load that far exceeds your "documentation"
7828 reload for 243 This load is still a little milder than what I use.

Quote:
Well then quit beating around the bush and state your source and the load.

Meat head....click on the load in the previous post. Geeeez, same reason I won't post my personal load /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Well that's about near a 70 fps slower than your claiming and 100 fps slower than your earlier post. I'm not sure I'd trust the loads posted on that site. I think your load and your credibility just went down the poop shoot.

Last edited:
Quote:
115g NBT at 3200fps will have 1700fps and a tad over 700ft lbs at 800 yards. More then sufficient to kill a little 125lb goat. Think outside the box here folks.

Better be careful here Jay Johnson is going to want documentation on that load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As far as thinking outside the box, I think you are a little to far out.

Lets look at it from a little different angle...do you honestly believe that the bullet you are using was designed for optimum performance with the energy and velocity it is generating at 800 yards. One word NO.

At that distance the performance of your bullet is going to be comparable to a full metal jacket. Anyone that would hunt big game with these tactics is yes an IDIOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Well that's about near a 100 fps slower than your claiming and 200 fps slower than your earlier post. I'm not sure I'd trust the loads posted on that site. I think your load and your credibility just went down the poop shoot.

Oh ok Jay Johnson...I don't see a lot of valuable information in your previous posts. But hey keep Trolling someone has to do it. What can you expect from a Californian. Nuff said.

The only person more ignorant than an idiot is one that will argue with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

There is certainly no need for name calling here. The killing power needed to kill depends greatly on a long list of variables.

I don't shoot at extended ranges for several reasons:

1. I have very few places where I hunt that I can even see 600+ yards.
2. I can't afford the optics to see what I am shooting at from 600+ yards
3. I'm probably not a good enough shot to consistantly hit anything at 600+ yards
4. I'd be shooting into another person area with hunter densities being what they are here at those ranges.
5. I don't carry a calculator with me to figure out how far my bullet will drift and drop at those ranges. (maybe Jack or someone can tell us how far a 115 grain bullet from you 25-06 will drift in a 15 mph cross wind)

So.....at the ranges that most mortals shoot, the difference in the .257 Roberts and the 25-06 are not that great. The recoil is noticably diffent to kids or women shooters (the reason I bought mine). If recoil is not an issue get a 25-06 or even something bigger. If recoil is an issue and you want something better than a .243 then the .257 Roberts is a good option. The Roberts is certainly more efficient than the '06.

Quote:
115g NBT at 3200fps will have 1700fps and a tad over 700ft lbs at 800 yards. More then sufficient to kill a little 125lb goat. Thanks. Any more idiotic questions???

Thanks Yellowhammer for providing that informative link. According to that information 800 ft lbs is the base minimum for taking big game. Even if Koyoetkillers load was producing 700 ft lbs of energy at 800 yards as he claims (which it isn't) he would still be undergunned.

At 600 yards the load he is speaking of is developing a little more than 690 ft lbs energy. If you extrapolate the velocity and energy out to 800 yards his load is developing less than 300 ft lbs. and is way undergunned for any big game including the Antelope. Talk about idiotic, that one takes the cake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Make no mistake about it, ANY load in the 25.06 at 800 yards is worse than a three legged race horse and in no way should be used for shots on big game anywhere close to that distance. Anyone choosing to do so earns the title. Sorry.

You need to get a different program then. If a 115g NBT with a BC of .450 at 3200fps only retains 690 lbs at 600 yards, then either my eyes are off or your just plain lying, and or dont know what in the hell your even talkinga bout. Dont sit here and tell me whats what/with what when you dont even know. OBviously you have no idea what it takes to shoot 800 yards, my bullet would be a NBT which would clearly expand down to 1700fps and 740ft lbs at 800 yards ( I rest my case) plug it into ANY ballistic program, will clearly take a little 125lb speed goat. YOur an idiot if you think not.

I would not shoot that far in a 15 MPH wind, plain and simple.

Quote:
I'm interested in a good rifle for antelope. I've been considering either the .243 or the .25-06. I've been leaning toward the .243 as I'm somewhat recoil sensitive. A friend suggested I should strongly consider the .257 Roberts. He swears it's a very good round, and is easy on the shoulder.

Any input, information, or opinions on the .257 Roberts would be appreciated. Also, how would the .257 Roberts stack up against the other two rounds for use on antelope? Thank you.

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this is repetitive.

If you are going to make this a dedicated rifle for medium sized game (Antelope, Mulies, Whitetail, etc.), then the .257 Roberts is about as perfect a match as you could make.

If you want it to see dual duty for antelope, deer, and varmints, then .243 or .243 AI would be a better choice. IMO

Koyotekiller, give it a break...it is your eyes.

The only reason you would take assanine shots at those distances at live animals with that load is because you have no stalking skills, can't read the game, and don't respect hunting for what it is.

Your kind of hunting is the same reason we see three legged antelope every season. Where people are to damn lazy to meet the animal on his terms and end up taking absurdly long shots off the hood of their truck along the roadside.

Do everyone a favor and stick to targets. You give hunters a bad name with your rhetoric and actions. Believe me when I say no one here is impressed with your fantasy shots.

Lets take out 10 soccer balls which are roughly the same size as the kill zone on an antelope, and I'll place them 800 yards out in various terrain and have you pay me $100.00 for every one you miss. Chances are me and my friends would be eating pretty good that night.

What I can't figure out is why a person would actually BUY a .257 Roberts today? Yes, it's a decent cartridge but availability and ammo selection are NOT its' strong points to be sure. If you're a reloader, why not load DOWN a .25-06 a bit--if Bob energies are what you want? Just can't see the sense of BUYING a gun chambered for a cartridge that is likely to give me fits of frustration each time I try to buy ammo for it!

Folks, I didn't post this topic to start a war. I just wanted some opinions or advice. The reason I considered a .257 Roberts was that my firearms dealer offered that to me as an option. My dealer usually has a couple of rifles chambered in .257 Roberts on hand, and sells several to folks in my area. This caliber is not as common as others, but is by no means forgotten about and unused. My dealer keeps .257 Roberts ammo on hand for his customers, and will order any brand or type you ask for. If I did purchase one and take it on a hunt I'd take an adequate supply of ammo with me and not worry about it. Proper prior planning prevents p*#s poor performance. Once again, sorry for starting a big battle...it wasn't my intent.

Last edited:
I don't think the question in and of itself started any wars. I will say though as a .25-06 owner I would not even think twice at buying a .257 or taking it in the field with me. There is absolutley nothing wrong with the caliber or its performance. Antelope, and deer for that matter, have never shown to be that adept at reading the fine shades of grey in balistic charts and continue to die from the .257 even though they aren't supposed to.

Back