.257 Arnold Magnum

pdoghunter

I have recently purchased a .257 Arnold magnum from a local gun dealer. It is a .264 win mag necked down to a .25 cal. I cannot find any info on loads for the gun or anything on Arnold arms co. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

This is not the “Arnold” but looks to be close. Good luck & proceed with caution!

Here is what I have found: PO Ackley’s handbook Volume II Page 155 & 156.

25 ICL Magnum = this is a 264 Win case necked to .25 caliber w a 45 degree shoulder.

75 gr. Bullet start with 69.0 gr – 4350 = 4135 fps
87 gr. Bullet start with 66.0 gr – 4350 = 3819 fps
100 gr Bullet start with 63.0 gr – 4350 = 3595 fps

257 Baker Magnum = this is a 264 Win case necked to .25 caliber.

87 gr Bullet start with 73.5 gr - 4831 = 3790 fps
100 gr Bullet start with 71.0 gr – 4831 = 3650 fps
120 gr Bullet start with 82.7 gr – H570 = 3480 fps

I have a book called "High Power Rifle Accuracy" written by Douglas Arnold.
In it he has alot of good load data and information. One thing that he spends alot of time talking about is his ruptured company and compares the Arnold Magnums to almost every other cartrige you can think off for some reason. He has an extensive section devoted to the Arnolds. You can pick it up at and major retailer (SW, GM, BPS)ect.

You can order a die set from here.
http://www.huntingtons.com/dies_specialorder.html

The part number for the RCBS .257 Arnold Magnum is #56831

Quote:
Jack,
the reason that I bought the gun is none of your business. If you dont have anything nice to comment about.....DONT

FYI, Jack is a very good guy from my experience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And, that is the common reaction when you ask about a rifle like that, which you have bought but know nothing about! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
I was thinking the very same thing.

Man UP, a little sarcasm never killed anyone.

Last edited:
When I purchased it I did get a set of RCBS full length dies with it so I do have them. I do have a sheet that the previous owner sent with it with 4 different load combinations. I have tried them and 1 seems to work out. I get about .75 inch groups @ 100. I have worked and worked on this load and I cant really get it any better. Also does anyone out there know if these guns were very accurate and any other info would be appreciated. THANKS EVERYONE!!

Also for everyone that must throw out all the sarcasm, I bought the gun, dies included, 50 rounds of loaded ammo, and the gun came with an aftermarket trigger which is very nice, a VX-III 8.5-25x50 scope and I paid $1200 for everything. Was it a dumb move.....probably not. I never said that I know nothing about it either. I just wanted to know a little more about how well these rifles were built and a little info on some different powder and or bullet combinations.

Last edited:
Quote:
Jack,
the reason that I bought the gun is none of your business. If you dont have anything nice to comment about.....DONT

It usually is not a good idea to wipe our butts on Jack's curtains while visiting his house.

Quote:
Also does anyone out there know if these guns were very accurate and any other info would be appreciated. THANKS EVERYONE!!

I just wanted to know a little more about how well these rifles were built

That's probably the reason Jack Roberts asked why you bought it. I'd see the magazine ads but never thought much about those guns. Since you're asking - according to my riflebuilder who does a lot of benchrest work, the quality of Arnold Arms was just terrible.

Buddy, I was simply trying to get you info on your new rig.
Quote:
I have recently purchased a .257 Arnold magnum from a local gun dealer. It is a .264 win mag necked down to a .25 cal. I cannot find any info on loads for the gun or anything on Arnold arms co. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote:
Jack,

With the info from your original post, it appears you are new to the rifle and its chamber and have no idea about loads, dies, or ballistics. I made an honest attempt at passing on the little knowledge on the chamber I have. If your not happy with that then I guess I should refrain.

It seemed to me that your comment towards our moderator was in excess. I suppose not everyone has a sense of humor or humility.

You were digging deep to resurrect this post. Only been almost 7 years.
unsure.gif

remember wanting to try one of their guns. Glad I didn't.
Accuracy was described as hit and miss. Here is a thread from Northwest Firearms web sight, This might explain it:

My experience with Doug Arnold was in the spring of 2000. I had put down $2000 and given them my old Remington 700 ADL with a long list of items that I wanted done. After several months I started calling to find out how the work was progressing. I was told they were having problems getting a stock. Finally one day I decided to give Arnold Arms another call and was told the number had been disconnected. Naturally I was very concerned and decided to drive up to Arlington to find out what was going on. I found Doug Arnold was the only person there he no longer had any employees and the showroom was void of any guns. I told Doug I wanted my Remington back and the $2000 that I had put down for the work that was to be done. His response was “I can give back your gun but I can't give you the $2000” he said he didn't have it. By this time I was furious and as I started backing him up across the show room he said “wait here for a moment I'll be right back”. After a couple of minutes he arrived with a new Remington 700 in 300 ultra mag. This was not my caliber of choice but I thought it would do just fine and as it has turned out it is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I'm quite sure it's the last firearm that was purchased from Arnold Arms. I kept in touch with Doug for several months after that eventful day, he wanted to sell me firearms from his personal collection as he was obviously going through bankruptcy and needed money.

I felt sorry for Doug, after all he had just lost his business and he wasn't such a bad guy once you got to know him. I do know that prior to Doug starting his firearm business he was in banking or the stock market so I assume that was probably the industry he returned to.

Someone who goes bankrupt is not exactly the banker/broker I want to be dealing with either.

I wonder who's rifle he gave you. Some guy probably came looking for it and he got handed a 700 adl.
tongue_smilie.gif

Last edited:

To my understanding, Arnold Arms got into some problem with securities and exchange, not sure exactly what.

In 1995 a buddy and I were planning an Alaska hunting trip. He was interested in a custom rifle of some sorts and I had a brochure from Arnold Arms Company. We both specifically liked the .257 Arnold Magnum thinking it would make a great antelope cartridge ( and it is), so we thought we would try to meet up with the guys from Arnold Arms since we would be flying into Seattle.

My friend arranged a meeting with the guys from Arnold Arms, to meet us at the Seattle airport on our way back from Alaska. I don't recall if Doug was there or not, but a couple of other guys were. Anyway, they brought two or three sample rifles for my friend to look at, brought them into the airport. Security took us up to their office and allowed us to view the rifles. Imagine that happening today.

Anyway, my buddy put $1200 down on a new rifle and paid the balance when it was finished. It's a nice rifle and very accurate. To my surprise this rifle became a gift to me several years later and I still have it, though don't shoot it much.

USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. MY ADVICE, START LOW AND WORK UP.

Here's some load data my buddy used:
100 gr. Sierra BT #1625
IMR4831, 64.0 grains
CCI 250

Here's my data:
110 gr. Nosler Accubond
IMR 7828, 67.0 gr., average velocity 3464
CCI BR2

85 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
Reloader 22, 68.5 gr., average velocity 3611
CCI BR2

75 gr. Hornady HP
IMR 7828, 69.2 gr.
CCI BR2

The only game I have shot with the Arnold is groundhogs, but my buddy dropped numerous antelope
over the years with the 100 gr. Sierra, and my son shot two or three with the same load.

The rifle package as purchased by my buddy consisted of the rifle in a McMillian Fiberguard stock. It looks like wood,
feels like wood but is synthetic. The stock is no longer made. The rifle also came with a Leupold Vari-X 3, 3x10 scope
set in Warne rings. It has a Jewell trigger.

My son and an antelope he dropped with the Arnold.

Originally Posted By: BetoIuse 72 grains of RL22 0r 70 gr. of 7828.

The weight of the bullet being shot would be important to add to the powder load given.

Why not just shoot the .257Wby mag? Differences other than the shape of the neck/ shoulder?

Back