25-300 wsm

tim this will be my first wildcat build.
ive been reloading for about 3 years now i currently reload 300 wsm
270 wsm 22-250, 7mm rem mag, 243 winchester,
i dont have much experience with neck turnung. is that bad ?

Last edited:
I didn't have any experience either. Just watched a couple of videos and dove in. Just take off a little at a time. You can always take more but you can't put it back. Lol.

No, you will have to measure a sized case, seat a bullet and measure again. If you need to take off.004 remember it is actually .002 per side.

If you guys need help getting started the right way on neck turning, send me pm's, glad to help out. K&M neck turning set up is the least expensive way to go, will get you Match grade turned necks on the first attempt.

No need in buying junk. Nice thing about the K&M is that if you want to sell it when you done, people are standing in line wanting to snap it up.

Thick necks can be a problem. YOu need .004-.005 clearance from the chamber for good bullet release. It has been found that tight clearances create larger extreme spreads in your velocity.

Also, it is prudent to anneal after sizing down, I have always used a propane torch, bread pan, and #2 wood lead pencil.

Couple of pointers, accurate measurements can not be made with calipers, you need a micrometer
https://www.ebay.com/itm/iGaging-0-1-Digital-Micrometer/182662261067?hash=item2a8784e94b:g:ciUAAOSwfRdZGzH0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1-Tube-Micrometer-0-0001-Graduation-Carbide-Tipped-Neck-Ball-Spherical-Anvil/292970589868?hash=item4436686eac:g:Y78AAOSwVRBbzavF

While these measurments above are not top name brand, they will serve a shooter very well that is turning necks.
A tube micrometer is worth it's weight in gold for helping to quickly adjust neck thickness on the turner.

The gunsmith should be able to give you a reamer print or a print # that you can use to call the reamer maker and get an emailed copy of the reamer print. This will give you the exact dia of the neck, and tell you if the neck has any taper. The print will also give you a max length of the case so you will know where to trim your cases.

IN the early 80's, we turned necks by making a hail mary cut, then seating a bullet, then measuring the outside dia with a caliper...what a hap hazzard way to do a project with helter skelter results.

Set yourself up with a K&M neck turner, mic, and tube mic, and your project will go together like peas and carrots!

Last edited:
Tony, that seems like a great wild cat! An 87g Speer TNT would really hammer a coyote and rock chucks.

We all would love to see some groups and dead stuff.

Back