25-06 Remington Sendero -OR- 700 Long Range?

Haha back to the topic at hand. I've seen a lot of posts about stripping it and building it the way I want it but the point in spending $1,000 on the sendero is to not have to do anything except bed the action and go shoot.

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 I know you guys do operate a bit different out West, but I wouldn't know what to do with that 26" barrel. I may be looking for a hacksaw after a hunt or two. i often hunt with a 27.5" hart in .243

5 Krieger Barrel - 25 Caliber - 1-10 Twist - Remington Varmint - @ 29" - 1.250 x .830 - 4 Groove - 250 Bore - Stainless 16325 Backorder $334.95

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGRon- what rifle is in the avatar with the elk and the coyote stand pic? roninflag

McMillan A3 Sporter in Desert Spectre
Tikka T3 Action in .308
I'm still looking for a gunsmith that will rebarrel it. No one wants to touch the Tikka.

Here's another thought! Go to Wal-Mart, buy a NIB 30-06 for $350.00. Order an X-Caliber barrel, a contoured blank will run you $230. Spent another $300ish for install and a H-S stock for another $300. You will have a custom rifle for the same money the SS Sendero would run you and odds of it being a tack driver are very good in your favor. Just another thought.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGRon - there are hs stocks for sale in the classified for 295. I have seen them for 250. I had a 2 senderos in 25-06 one blued, sold, one stainless it is now a 6.5-284. any time I have rebarreled a rifle it has been worth it. I have shot a long range yet

I was the lucky guy that got Ron's first Gen Sendero and I will never sell it. It shoots clover leafs with my load of 100 grain SMK and RL22. I love that rifle and hope when I have to rebarrel it that is shoots as well as it did with the factory tube when I got it from him. But I lucked out and get it for a heck of a price off Gun Broker.

Yes it is, I've been looking hard at one in either 7mm Rem mag or 300 Win Mag. I've already got a 300WM but I think that two wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHere's another thought! Go to Wal-Mart, buy a NIB 30-06 for $350.00...
Interesting you bring that up. I did try that route, but Walmart does not stock 700's only 770's and it's not the same action.

Originally Posted By: ksduckhntrAzRon contact Tim a crescent customs, he'll rebarrel a tikka.

A little more info on Tim if you can?

UPDATE:

I decided to go with some of your guys' advice and i picked up a SS Remington LA with a .470" bolt face for $360. I'm probably going to take it down to Bruno here in Phoenix and get one of his in stock Krieger barrels. He has ".25 caliber" barrels and "6.5mm" barrels. Both of these have a diameter of .256" so I'm assuming they're both usable for a 25-06 build. The question is twist rate. The 6.5mm barrels come in 1-8.5" and the .25 caliber barrels come in 1-10" twist. Opinions? Advice? Experiences? All is welcome as always!

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:
I almost missed this post. Get the Sendero and don't look back. I owned one and sold it going to a lesser model, just another regret in life.

I'd really like to do a 6.5-06 some day. Prolly what my 25-06 sendero will be when the tube is torched. 123 grain Amax at 3300ish fps would be epic!!!

On a whim just last week, I saw the Remington 700 long range on a special buy and I ordered one in 25-06 through my dealer. I expect it to be in tomorrow. For the price I feel like its a lot of rifle and very hard to beat. Ive owned quite a few remmy's and typically if you throw a good stock on them, they will shoot great. I've owned two SPS varmints, put bell and carlson stocks on them and they would should one ragged hole at 100 yards with very little load work. I find the sendero to be a little over priced, its a very nice looking rifle, but i'd buy two of the long range before I bought one sendero. Hopefully in the next few weeks i'll get the 25-06 dialed in with a range report.

Originally Posted By: MPFDI'd really like to do a 6.5-06 some day. Prolly what my 25-06 sendero will be when the tube is torched. 123 grain Amax at 3300ish fps would be epic!!! MFPD- of the ones i have tried the 123 scenars and 130 norma match hp are great, the very best out of my 6.5-284s are the 139 scenars. i do like the idea of the 6.5-06 or 25-06 for feeding they are not as blocky. you can fit more in the mag than the 6.5-.284 too. ron

Last edited:
Back