25-06 Deer bullet?

My dad is looking for a bullet for deer hunting with his 25-06. He is looking at the 100 Interlock, 117 Interlock and the 110 AccuBond. I know the AB cost more but is it needed? I have a lead on some factory blems that are very close to the same price as the Hornady bullets. I have worries about the 100 gr Interlock being too light. Shots will be from 20-300 yards.

How big is a deer in your neckof the woods? I ask because some trophy deer ive seen from some states look a lot like a rabbit with antlers. A small rabbit,
laugh.gif
so for them a 22 is fine
smile.gif

Anyway ive used midway 2nds on deer around 200+ out to 400ish yards, no issues and cheap.

But. Ive swapped to ttsx in my 25-06, im really impressed with them. I think 100gr is the heaviest ive ever used out of that caliber. Deer are easy to kill, no reason to worry too much about them.

I would say that the ave weight is 125 and a big bodied deer would be 200. I have use 180 gr bullets out of my 30-06 so the thought of 100gr bullets is different for me.

I am shooting a Barnes 100 gr. TSX, out of a Tikka M695,
in 25-06 Rem. Nasty Whitetail combination. This year,
I hit this buck, 160 yards out, in the front shoulder,
smashed the front leg bone, made pudding out of the
chest cavity, and exited.

I also shoot a 80 gr. Barnes TTSX out of my 6mm Rem.
and it folded an antelope like a cheap tent, at 320
yards. I am a big fan of Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets.

Squeeze

100 grain TSXs in the wife's Bob have proven very effective on deer, antelope, and oryx. When she runs out I'll switch to TTSX if that says anything.

I have used more Hornady 117 grain SPs than anything else. The Hornady 120 HP is also a very tough bullet. I have had a box of the 120 HPs for many years as my Savage didn't shoot them well with the H4350 I was using. This year I loaded them for a friend who just got a .25-06 barrel for his Encore. He was more than satisfied with their performance. Funny thing though, my Savage 110 loved that bullet with Ramshot Magnum. I may have to rethink my bullet for next year.

I've shot several deer with the 117 interlock. I'm sorry to report I don't like it one bit. The bullets have not hung together well and I have had no exits. (I prefer to have an exit wound on big game.) With one exception all shots have been quartering through the chest. I've also had instances of significant meat damage. I've never lost a deer but none have been anchored. Most shots would have been in the 50-150 yard range. Bottom line... I've quit using this bullet and since switched rifles for deer. If going back to the .25-06 I would likely try the 115-120 Partition or similar weight Trophy Bonded.

Just my two cents.

I got my first 25-06 last year. So far, it has accounted for 2 hogs, 2 antelope, a deer and 4 coyotes. When you pull the trigger something dies (at least so far) and most dropped in their tracks. One antelope and the deer went less than 20 yards.

I am shooting the Speer 100 grain btsp

The antelope buck was at 350, the coyotes at 200.

1374144_10200497260181335_120950462_n.jpg

1384198_10200497259461317_1993959655_n.jpg

Sierra GameKing is a great quarterbore bullet... In Noslers on Deer I prefer a Ballistic Tip. The Partition and Accubond perform very similar with the AB having a broader range of effective velocity. I don't think run of the mill whitetail deer warrant either a Partition or Accubond. But, if you want an almost "Guaranteed" exit you will get that with both.

Originally Posted By: Greg_MeyerSierra GameKing is a great quarterbore bullet...

The 117gr Gameking will be all you ever imagined & more.

I shot the 25/06 for years and killed a few deer with every major manufature bullet from 90gr-120. While there are several that are really good, the 117gr gameking ended up being the best in my lengthy experience.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherI would say that the ave weight is 125 and a big bodied deer would be 200. I have use 180 gr bullets out of my 30-06 so the thought of 100gr bullets is different for me.

For 125lbs, I'd say anything that exits the barrel will be enough.

I used to do the same, 30-06 was the only rifle I had. I dropped a very nice buck one day using one of my elk bullets. It did the job but I lost the entire front half of the animal. It punched through both shoulders and destroyed everything in between. That's when I started looking for a more deer friendly bullet/caliber for deer and goats.

Now I have a variety of punishing weapons, tend to go with the lightest recoiling rifle appropriate for the animal. The 25 feels a bit like a plinker, does some good work down range. The TTSX so far has been really impressive from goat through elk. You just want to make sure there's not another animal behind your target, they don't seem to slow down much until they hit the hillside.

The deer in NW WI can get very large, bordering on small elk proportions. I used a 100gr Partition out of my 25-204 on this one from the Cable area. Always go out with a monster in mind, you never know when you'll run into a really big one.

My dad has used Federals for years in a 120grain out of his Ruger M77 and that thing is just flat accurate out to 300 yards and when he decides to squeeze one off things die and they don't go anywhere. I have for years thought the 25-06 is the most efficient whitetail round ever conceived

204 Ruger necked up to .257, it will push the 100gr Partition out of a 22" barrel at 2800-2850 fps, duplicating the "original" 250 Sav. and 257 Roberts factory ballistics.

Hands down the 110 accubond bullet.we have shot one deer a two elk with it none made it past ten yards.

I have killed a ton of deer in the last 30 years with a 25-06. A lot of good bullets out there for it. My favorite by far is The 110 Accubond. I too,feel like the 25-06 is the best deer cartridge .

Back