.25-06 Coyote Load

You are going to want a heavier bullet at 25-06 velocities if you want to save the fur. No doubt the 85 will put him down with a vengance.

Nitis

I see the max load of RL-17 on a 100 gr pill is 53 gr. I have seen comments on others sites that most wouldn't go past 48-49 gr. I have some RL-17 to try...just wondering if you could comment on your experience working up this load.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: NM_HighPlainsOriginally Posted By: 6mm06 I've taken groundhogs, crows, mule deer, antelope and a corsican ram with the same bullet.

Wow!!! How in the world did you get them all lined up for the shot?

tongue_smilie.gif

I took two coyotes with one bullet. Using a Ruger Mini 14 with the peep sights. They were about 20 yards away. Yes, it surprised me and I don't expect to ever do it again.

Originally Posted By: daman2270Anyone tried the Nosler Ballistic Tip - Varmint Bullet?

They make an 85 gr in .25 cal but what can I expect for destuction on Mr. Coyote?

I have used their Ballistic Silver Tip in other calibers with so so results.

The Nosler Balistic Tip 85gr Varmit pill makes one [beeep] of a mess to our Foxes [beeep] near tears them in half,very explosive.

I use RL19 with a nosler 85 gr BT. I pick up 300 ct 87 gr HP by Remington great price. As cheap as 1 box of nosler BT. I am shooting a Tikka. Going to buy a TC venture 25/06 soon.

Try the load printed on the front of H4350 with 75 grain vmax, its a screamer in a Sendero (3700fps)if I remember right. I also use varget with 75 grain v-max's loaded to around 3400/3500 fps out of another rifle with a 24" tube. 100 NBT under Reloader 19 using Nosler manual recomended accuracy load has also been a favorite.

These have worked for me. I got these loads to work up for accuracy the quickest so I have not spent any more time with the 85 NBT or any 90 grainers. I do think that a little less explosive bullet than the vmax, such as the ones used for medium game in the 80/90 grain range, with a non temperature sensive powder like H4350 might be ideal.

One thing about it, when you hit a coyote at 400+ yards you see the differance in using a heavier caliber that shoots flat. If you can hit them, they are pretty much down.

Back