25-06 barrel life?

Nickb1075

I have had a remington LA sitting in me safe for a few years now and I am leaning to barrel it in 25-06.

I know there are many fans of this caliber and chambering on this site. My question to all of you is what is a realistic barrel life for this chambering?

Thanks
Nick

Mine is upwards of 18 years old and has had countless rounds through it and still groups under an inch. Not bad for a light sporter barrel. I don't load mine to max, but they are pretty hot.

I have a Rem 700 25-06 that I've owned since 1978. Had it rebarreled about 4 years ago as the old one was tired. The round count was about 1100 before it died.

It's an overbore cartridge and doesn't have a real long life but I never let that bother me. It lasted a long time in my opinion for all the hunting I did.

Has about the same life as a .243, maybe a little less. Let the barrel cool down between shots and it will last longer. They do get hot quick.

I have a Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special that was built in 1971 and still has the original barrel. I'm not sure how many rounds have been through it, but it's up there. Took it to the range a few weeks ago and it shot a .313" 5 shot group. That's as good or better than some very expensive custom rifles I have.

25-06 is a great caliber. Awesome on anything from medium size game down to varmints and very accurate.

I say go for it. You won't be dissappointed.

Back