243 WSSM AR-15

I talked to Mike today and he told me that there were 36 orders ahead of mine. I ordered mine 2/20/09. He also told me that The CNC issues at Olympic were over and new WSSM bolts and carriers were rolling in. He also said that after he gets through this last mountain of orders that he will have a more "normal" backlog of orders.

blacksheep

Smooth (grind) the lower bolt lugs? WOW......I have 2 WSSM's and that's surely a new one on me. As far as the accuracy thing goes.....you sure he's not shooting his shotgun and just confused? Annealing of WSSM brass is a MUST if you want it too last and expand properly when shooting it. Otherwise you get alot of blowby in the chamber from the brass not expanding and sealing.

Orddy-
Originally Posted By: Dtech This problem that you are showing is typical in a couple of different situations: 1) The bottom bolt-lugs have not had the edge rounded.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteOriginally Posted By: skinneyI will let him know, thanks for the input, its greatly appreciated. maybe we can get those 105's grouping after all, should work, i believe he has the 1:8 twist 24" match barrel.
I have seen these, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=112114 but nothing for a 243 WSSM yet.

THAT'S IT!! Holy Geez, r they offering them again? How recent is that ad?

If you read close it said "product discontinued".
frown.gif

I too have a Dtech 243wssm, and have probably 1000-1500 rounds through it. It still shoots .5 moa with an Oly barrel, 87gr V-max 40.5gr Varget (got it before Mike offered custom barrels).

The brass is tough and does need to be sized correctly (bumped).

I shoot (Milli) modified 10 round mags (to 5 round) and not only have I NOT had a problem, IMHO one of the great things about the wssm in an AR platform is the way it feeds single stack from the mag. It's like the cartridge and rifle were made for each other.

Is 300 WSM a possible on a DPMS LR308 lower? The 338 Federal sounds really interesting -- I prefer a caliber with a lot of ability although the 7mm08 would be a really fun upper. Guess I'm the only guy who would want one in 416 Rigby.
smile.gif

hey hey, everyone was right; skinney, mbkmkk.
I have arived. It was me. The myth, the man, the .243WSSM dude that couldnt get anything over 75's to group, the guy chopping up his brass, the guy getting 2/7 jams per mag... that guy...is here.

yes, my accuracy systems bolt did not have the lower lugs softened up, and that was causing all my brass cuts and jamming problems. Fixed that with the dremel, lickity split.
First jamming problems were due to not bumping the shoulders on my brass. Annealing is key but i still only do it every other reload.
Tried the 95's and still didnt get much success, dont have my numbers but like i said, will run them again in the spring and see what happens.
My inexperience and idiocracy told me i could modify my own 5rd mag for hunting, but I didnt scour the internet to find proper directions and hence, had bad mag issues with that one...( fixed that with my customized WSSM PMAGs that work PERFECT)

In short, I just happen to be one of those kinda guys that likes to figure things out and fix them himself. This may not be the way to get proper results, but it does succeed in teaching me more than i would learn by sending it off to have someone else fix. I fix what i can and outsource the rest.

since getting all the hardware issues ironed out, i would have no problem recommending any WSSM to anyone, but if you hit speed bumps or problems and want to skip the hassles figuring things out yourself, flat out ask Mike if something isnt workin. A WSSM God among men. It seemed like every time I did an internet search for an answer to a hiccup, it was Dtech's name on the post with the answer.

Oh, and mbkmkk...if you ever come back here...i did make a post on WSSMzone asking for any 95 nosler recopies you might have, but havent gone back to look for a while. shoot me a message with whatever you got, love to see your stuff.

I just ordered an oly 243 WSSM upper. If it works as good as the 5.56 Oly weapons I've had, it will be golden. I've never had a problem with oly Arms.

Back