243 win reloading

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunMy buddy just shot a doe with this same load last week.

I loaded it for him for yotes and such(he doesn't save fur). Told him to make sure he used the 100gr SGKs over 42.3gr IMR4350 for deer, and the other for yotes.

Night before, he shot at a yote and missed. Not sure how he mixed the loads up, but I was sure that he did when we skinned the deer. What a mess. I absolutely hate BTs for deer and can't see how anyone likes them.......

Just a side note...
My son killed 2 deer last week. He's 12 yo & shot both with a 22"bbl 243 and the 100gr GK over 38.5gr of IMR 4350. Both shot broadside; doe @ 110 yards, buck at 175. The buck had typical wound channel & bloodshock. The doe was the most tore up of any deer I have ever seen. I've kild well over 200 deer with everything from 223-300RUM, never seen as much "mess" as I did on the doe he shot. She was bloodshot from the front of shoulder to the ham & speckle bruised to the tail. This was from "bowstyle" broadside shot. Tucked tight behind the elbow. Sometimes they just "blow up".

As far as to the OP: I've had very good luck with the 75gr Vmax & 38gr of varget in the .243. That & the 70 gr load Ackman suggested have both shot very well.

.243 shooter 40yrs. I prefer Sierra 85gr.hpbt. great on deer/varmint. Ball powder is the easiest to run through a powder measure. My favorite was 44.5 gr. H450 &. CCI 200 primer. Ruger#1b & M77. Enjoy, reloading is an extension of the sport. And more rewarding reducing group size over factory loads. OMO!

have tried several diffent bullet/powders and have not been completlty happy with any out of my 700. so decided to try another combo. bought some sieera 70 blitzkings. loaded up 12 rounds with 42 grains of varget,cci mag primers. WOW. all 12 went into a 1/2 group at 100 yards.think i found my new coyote killers. will have to stretch it out to 300 and see how they do.

IMR 4350 with 70gr blitzkings.........awesome legit 5 shot groups the size of a dime I'd have to look at the loading book to find the grains, but it was behind a cci lr primer
win brass

Back