243 vs. 243 WSSM

i have both, great guns .243 win ammo is easier to find but my wife likes shootin something that not every body has plus its a cool looking browning, worry more about what gun feels better than long or short in a .243

Got a buddy that's running an AR-10 243 and is INTO the long-range game. This past season i saw the best long-range performance i've seen yet in the field by him. He made 4 long-range shots on coyotes, 3 of which were 1st-shot connections at 785, 650, 535 and a 470-yarder that was a couple shots as we couldn't get a laser beam to bounce off him. Last 3 shots were with reticle, the 1st was turret--6.5-20x Leup. VX-III VH reticle. He uses an I-Pod Touch with JBM downloaded onto it and had to use a G1 drag function to match his real-world drops to 1000 (87 V-Max at ~3000 i think). He calls into the airport for air density changes that he applies to his std. profile a couple times a day. Seems to have worked for him.

I have a D-Tech in 243 WSSM that i hope to get running better this year.

I will say that we were shooting off a cliff one day @ 900+ yds. on a spot on a boulder and didn't notice any wind, besides some grass moving in the valley below us. His bullets impacted several feet to one side of the spot he was aiming at, so i always question shooters that go beyond 500-600 yds. My buddies 785-yarder was in early morning with just a hint of air movement off a bluff. The bullet impacted the left chest and exited out the right with a nickel size exit wound. We walked all the way down to get him and had to carry him back for a couple pics, then skinning. He now resides on my buddy's wall compliments of Moyle Mink...and me (the skinner).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sscoyoteGot a buddy that's running an AR-10 243 and is INTO the long-range game. This past season i saw the best long-range performance i've seen yet in the field by him. He made 4 long-range shots on coyotes, 3 of which were 1st-shot connections at 785, 650, 535 and a 470-yarder that was a couple shots as we couldn't get a laser beam to bounce off him. Last 3 shots were with reticle, the 1st was turret--6.5-20x Leup. VX-III VH reticle. He uses an I-Pod Touch with JBM downloaded onto it and had to use a G1 drag function to match his real-world drops to 1000 (87 V-Max at ~3000 i think). He calls into the airport for air density changes that he applies to his std. profile a couple times a day. Seems to have worked for him.

I have a D-Tech in 243 WSSM that i hope to get running better this year.

I will say that we were shooting off a cliff one day @ 900+ yds. on a spot on a boulder and didn't notice any wind, besides some grass moving in the valley below us. His bullets impacted several feet to one side of the spot he was aiming at, so i always question shooters that go beyond 500-600 yds. My buddies 785-yarder was in early morning with just a hint of air movement off a bluff. The bullet impacted the left chest and exited out the right with a nickel size exit wound. We walked all the way down to get him and had to carry him back for a couple pics, then skinning. He now resides on my buddy's wall compliments of Moyle Mink...and me (the skinner).

how's his AR-10 set up? is it a custom set up or a factory gun?

No NC, it's the old Armalite 243 barrel, i think he purchased used on-line. The 1 with the green handguard. The 87 V-Max is just a great 243 bullet--enuf BC to get out there. Here's his 535-yarder. See the upper? That's the old Armalite 243...i think--

Erics535-yarder.jpg

Had to skin that bugger with a BAD headache off a fencepost via truck headlights.

Last edited:
i shoot a .223WSSM in bolt action and love it. 3 boxes of shells in an hour or so and the barrel wasnt even warmed up yet. I would love a .243WSSM as in wisc. thats the smallest caliber we can use,m but the bullets are tough to find and more expensive. thank god for scopes and guns that hold patterns well

Back