243..tikka or browning

I guess I just don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to someone and call them a "self-proclaimed expert" just because their opinion differs from your own.

It is to the point around here that you cannot give your opinion on anything without someone who owns one getting their feelers hurt, and that is sad. I own tons of rifles, and have never taken it personally when someone else's opinion of one differs from my own, providing the OP's opinion is based on fact/experience, and not emotion, wikipedia, or magazine articles. I consider your opinions to be valid (whether I agree or not) because I know they are based on hands on experience, and that is all I ask/hope for of others.......

I have never owned a tikka and don't plan to. I hear they shoot well, but the magazine and plastic stocks that I have seen have pushed me other directions. I did have an A-bolt it shot well. I had no complaints about, but I did trade it. I would look into a remington, or fn spr. If it were me.

I had a Browning A-bolt 30.06. I sold it. I have never quit kicking my own arse for that. It was a shooter and such a fine weapon t hold and shoulder.

I bought a Tika 30.06 from a guy on a local website. I gave him a firm, I'll take it. I couldn't back out after viewing that hunk of plastic. After I got home with it I was very unhappy. What a big piece of plastic. I like the way it shouldered but i didn't like anything else. The detatchable plastic mag was the deciding factor. No way I was keeping that rifle, no matter how it shot. I traded it without ever firing it and I'm glad I did.

I'd own a Sako for sure but not a molded piece of plastic like the Tika. Not my cup of tea.

I have owned and do own several synthetic rifles but the Tika to me seems more like plastic crap and not a synthetic rifle.

That's just my opinion.

Just a thought. To the OP-Sorry to stray off topic.

While on the subject of plastic.

Dont the polymer pistols of today use "plastic" componets as well? Trigger, magazine, frame, etc? Glock, Springfield, S&W to name a few. No one seems to mind these though?

Could someone please point out to me what the differnce is?

Originally Posted By: getfoxyJust a thought. To the OP-Sorry to stray off topic.

Dont the polymer pistols of today use "plastic" componets as well? Trigger, magazine, frame, etc? Glock, Springfield, S&W to name a few. No one seems to mind these though?

I love Glocks but they are made very well. The Tika just feels cheap and looks cheap. My Remington 700 XCR doesn't have a cheap feel to it. My synthetic Benelli does not have a cheap feel to it. The Tika has a very cheap feel to it. Again, that's just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyJust a thought. To the OP-Sorry to stray off topic.

Plastic triggers have always bothered me.

Good Point Gary.. Try and bend a Tikka Plastic stock, and then try a Rem SPS. Big difference. They both flex,but I replaced the tupperware on the Remmi, not the Tikka. Plastic is kinda taking over in lots of things.. even blades for weedeaters! lol

Here's another one of my opinions..........The reason the Tika feels so cheap is because it is cheap. It's a great barrel with everything else cheap so it can compete with the Remington SPS or the Savage 110. It can't compete with a Browning A-bolt on anything but price. The two guns aren't in the same catagory.

That's just my opinion and worth about what you paid for it.

Well. If I were hunting in some really terrible weather... Snow, Ice, freezing rain, what have you, maybe my opinion would be differnt.

Im a fair weather guy. Hardly "hard core". even if the weather is just 30 degrees with a slight drizzle its enough to keep me in front of the fire. Deep snow. Not a chance. Not my idea of fun. Ill go out another day.

Either way. Shoot what you like. I just happen to like plastic pieces of junk, glocks to tikkas. They all work for me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: getfoxyWell. If I were hunting in some really terrible weather... Snow, Ice, freezing rain, what have you, maybe my opinion would be differnt.

Im a fair weather guy. Hardly "hard core". even if the weather is just 30 degrees with a slight drizzle its enough to keep me in front of the fire. Deep snow. Not a chance. Not my idea of fun. Ill go out another day.

Elk or deer hunting in Colorado, you draw a tag for a particular unit for a time period of about a week. You have to hunt in whatever weather you are stuck with, or wuss out and go home.

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGHere's another one of my opinions..........The reason the Tika feels so cheap is because it is cheap. It's a great barrel with everything else cheap so it can compete with the Remington SPS or the Savage 110. It can't compete with a Browning A-bolt on anything but price. The two guns aren't in the same catagory.

That's just my opinion and worth about what you paid for it.

LuckyDog, I believe you have it backwards. The Remmi SPS is lower priced to try and keep up with the Tikka market. The SPS fails in many areas trying to compete with Tikka. Trigger,Feeding issues," feels like sand in the action" Stock,DBM. I own an SPS and there is no comparison. But keeping with the OP's original question, Id still take the Tikka over the A Bolt.

Look at both of them and handle them if you can, and then pick the one that YOU feel will met your needs the best. Unless you get the occasional factory stinker that all of them make, you will probably be delighted with your choice. As was stated above, both of them are capable of serving your needs very well in the price range you are looking at, and you don't find a lot of actual users who are down on either rifle.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357
LuckyDog, I believe you have it backwards. The Remmi SPS is lower priced to try and keep up with the Tikka market. The SPS fails in many areas trying to compete with Tikka. Trigger,Feeding issues," feels like sand in the action" Stock,DBM. I own an SPS and there is no comparison. But keeping with the OP's original question, Id still take the Tikka over the A Bolt.

I'm not here to argue. I'm just offering my opinion. I believe if you check the SPS sales against the Tika sales, the SPS smokes the Tika like a big free bag of weed. Just saying.....

Last edited:
I've owned two A-Bolts, currently though, none. I do own four Tikka's, one in 22-250, two in .243, and one in 300 WM. I immediately replaced the bolt shroud on all of them as I believe that to be their biggest flaw. All triggers adjust down well and are extremely consistant for a factory offering. The stocks are plastic like many other manufactures, and have never had a single issue with them. I have bought an extra magazine just cause, but I dont go around losing them so not a huge deal to me either.

As for SPS factory? IMO, and yes I've had more than a few of them as well, your going to have to spend money to get them where a Tikka comes out of the box. The stocks are some of the worst I've seen in flimsiness and the triggers are in the same category. I own several remmys and I do love them all, but I do have a hard time comparing a SPS to a Tikka.

Never had a real shooting issue with the A-bolts, but just didn't care for the bolt throw on them.

Originally Posted By: DogpopperI own several remmys and I do love them all, but I do have a hard time comparing a SPS to a Tikka.

Out of the box, I would have to agree. Comparing a SPS to a Tika is about the same as comparing a Tika to an A-Bolt. No comparison.

Earlier I was just pointing out that Tika is Sakos way of cashing in on the cheaper side of sales. Same thing as Coors Light selling Keystone Light.

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

As to the springfields the answer is no. The XD frame is polymer, but the trigger and all the internals that I've gotten into are metal. The slide is melonited steel and rides on a steel insert/action block that is pinned in the frame and holds most of the fire control pieces, the mags are stainless. These things are not all that light. By itself, the frame is, but once you add all the internals, the slide/striker/barrel and a full 16 rd mag, they're pretty heavy and and are, no pun intended, bullet proof. Not 1911 heavy, but no featherweight.

Last edited:
I don't especially like working on Brownings. Crappy triggers that are fragile and expensive to replace. No aftermarket triggers for 'em, either. Barrels are glued into the receiver(typical japanese trick). Wouldn't have an X-Bolt up my backside if there were room for a circular sawmill. Quite frankly, I think you are really limiting yourself to just look at Browning or the Tikka. You might take a look at Savage for real value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dogpopper

Never had a real shooting issue with the A-bolts, but just didn't care for the bolt throw on them.

First time I've heard that one. The sixty degree bolt throw is something most folks (myself included) like about em.
Just goes to show that everyone likes something different and that handling a firearm to see what "YOU" like is good advice.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Dogpopper

First time I've heard that one. The sixty degree bolt throw is something most folks (myself included) like about em.
Just goes to show that everyone likes something different and that handling a firearm to see what "YOU" like is good advice.

I have to agree with the short throw being a bit different. I'm not convinced if it is really issue or not. But I don't really see an advantage or disadvantage to 90, 70 or 60* bolt. When I've shot brownings (A and X bolts) I didn't see the benefit. I certainly DO NOT like the "bolt button" on the Brownings. JMHO, YMMV.

I have to agree with all above. Handle the rifles be for you buy. Do not take one guys word over your preference.

If I were to buy a Tikka, it would be a hunter with a wood stock. As much crap as people put on the SPS stocks, I can't see how they could like the Tikka injection molded stock. Truth is, there isn't a injection molded I do like. They're all a cheap way out of making a good stock. Mine are all either wood, or Bell and Carlson. That's just my preference.

Back