.243 Berger 95 gr and 105 gr VLD bullets as deer rounds

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAnother year old + post,dug up.

didnt even notice... i was thinking man... how did i miss that

LOL..Blame it on the new guy above you.

I have considerable experience with the 95g Nosler partition with about 43.0g of IMR 4350, this bullet and load will NOT let you down, even from quartering shots.

I have killed 4 bucks over 200 lbs at ranges between 300-350 yards with this load. The furtherest that any of them went was 10 yards.

I have shot numerous deer and antelope in closer range with this load.

This load is tried and true on large deer, take that to the bank. The 95g partiton will break both shoulders on side shots and keep truck'en. On Quartering shots with an enterance breaking the front shoulder, then exit a broken rib while completely penetrating. Travel of 20"-24" inches of bone and meat is no issue with this load.

For some reason, the 95g Partitions group better than the 100g partitions in the rifles that I have owned.

The other load that has worked well on large bucks is 42.3g of H4350, Win primer in a rem case with 100g Hornady btsp, this is a poor man's partition bullet if there ever was one.

Folks today are automatically look for the bullet with the highest BC without thinking of a track record of the ability of the bullet to kill reliably....it's an upside world.

The jury is still out on the 85g tripple shock and 90g Accubond for me. The 95g partition has made some remarkable kills for me, with great accuracy, and penetration with massive internal damage. I have killed deer with the 85g Barnes tripple shock with no problem, but it takes numbers of kills for me to have confidence from varying angles, distances, and sizes of animals.

Shooting hogs can be a good test on bullets. We killed a goodly number of hogs in Texas with the load above with the 100g Hornady BTSP, the flat base version should penetrate more than the BTSP, but hard to argue with success of the BT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLOL..Blame it on the new guy above you.

Oops. I thought that said 2012 when I read it
smile.gif
Thought it was only a couple months old. Oh well.

Back