22mag??

Henry 22 mag is very hard to beat fun to shoot. looks cool and a great size for a truck gun. We carry one most of the winter while running cattle. We like the CCI's but use Hornady also. Our Savage model 93 with a bull barrel is nice to sit and shoot cans, targets and paire dogs but does not work as a truck gun as well. Great thing about the 22 mag still affordable to shoot.

I just purchase a CZ 512. Very impressed with the accuracy. Like others, I have had several .22 WMR's and if you have to have absolute accuracy, the ones I have had just didn't do it. I wanted a semi auto so that is why I went with a 512. The trigger really stinks, but I have no complaints with 75 yard accuracy.

Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterGo for a mossberg 640KD chuckster! Aside from custom 22 mags this is the most accurate 22 mag ever made! We're are talking sub moa @100. The only downside is the trigger. Once you are used to the trigger you are good to go!

I have a Mossberg 640, a Winchester 94-22m, and a CZ American 455 all in 22WMR.

The CZ shoots the best by a long way. The Mossberg has it's problems, but they do shoot well. For a lever gun the Winchester is one smooth customer and prints real well. All in all the CZ is the most accurate rim fire I have ever shot, and in 22WMR it will out shoot any 22lr with comparable ammo. IME.

I have a Marlin 25MNSS and a Marlin 882SSV, Both guns shoot great, but I have to give the edge to the heavy barreled 882SSV. I have been shooting CCI ammo in both guns.

Originally Posted By: tylo scootHenry 22 mag is very hard to beat fun to shoot.
+1
I have the Frontier model. The heavier octagon barrel really helps for off hand shooting. Mine's the most accurate 22WMR I've owned and I've been shooting em since the 70's. I don't know about head shots on moving Coyotes at 100
whistle.gif
but it's a great gun and cartrige as long as you don't try to turn it into something it isn't.

005bil.jpg

ETA,,, the most accurate bolt gun I owned was a CZ but it wouldn't feed Winny HP's and I'm not interested in any of the plastic tipped stuff so I sold it.

My first 22 mag was a Mossberg 640k. I paid $55 for it bran new in 1972.I was in heaven when I got that gun.I shot alot of fox with it and paid for it many times over.

Try the Hornady 45 grain critical defense ammo for hunting. I did a wet phone book penatration test with Hornady 33 grain vmax, CCI 40 grain hollow points, winchester super x 40 grain silver box, and the Hornady 45gr. CD. They penetrated in the order I listed them. The winchester silver box was my go to until the critical defense was released. Raccoons have agreed with my unscientific test.
The shortfall of the winchesters was that that lead tip seperated from the jacket very early compared to a uniform mushroom by the Hornady.

To answer your question, the .22 WMR is pretty accurate in my personal experience. Is it laser flat shooting? No. But it groups under an inch for me at 100 yards and thats good enough for me!

It hits hard enough to kill coons and fox, and makes super short work of jack rabbits.

I personally love that little cartridge and it is my rifle of choice when I go out bunny bustin.

Originally Posted By: Ernest IIDoes anyone have good luck with this caliber

I'm going to start charging everyone here a buck every time the word "caliber" is used incorrectly. By the end of the year, I should have a new Sako
grin.gif

My Savage bolt gun is about as close to a tackdriver as a factory 22mag can get, I'd reckon. It likes Federal 50gr and 40gr best. Will shoot little clover leafs @ 100yds with either. Have tried many other brands in it, but none come any where close, and many are considerably worse......

Ive shot the Win 40g. HP into the wet paper at 50 and 100yds and they had a perfect mushroom every time! I always called the Winchesters, the Nosler Partitions of 22 magnum ammo!

Originally Posted By: marcoIve shot the Win 40g. HP into the wet paper at 50 and 100yds and they had a perfect mushroom every time! I always called the Winchesters, the Nosler Partitions of 22 magnum ammo!

Yep they are a fantastic .22 mag round and outperformed the CCI and Hornady vmax handily. The Hornady critical defense just performed better as it stayed together. Just my observations,YMMV.

While I don't suggest the .22 mag is a wonderful predator round, I will say that it is adequate within it's limitations.
As some have said, don't try to make it something it isn't. Use it with prudence, and enjoy.

Here are some examples of my Ruger BMVZ. My go-to load is the Winchester 40 gr. HP.

It's good for groundhogs too.

Ive been shooting the CCI 40gr. SP Game Point for a year and a half now in one of my Ruger magnums ,and all Im saying is you guys that use the 22 magnum for coyotes need to give it a try. I have had very good luck with them. The Winchester 40gr.HP is a good one, but from what Ive seen I think the CCI SP is better! Its better for small game like squirrels and like I said better for big stuff! If you want to shoot just one round in the 22 magnum this one is it. Or try the Rem SP.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: Ernest IIDoes anyone have good luck with this caliber

I'm going to start charging everyone here a buck every time the word "caliber" is used incorrectly. By the end of the year, I should have a new Sako
grin.gif

My Savage bolt gun is about as close to a tackdriver as a factory 22mag can get, I'd reckon. It likes Federal 50gr and 40gr best. Will shoot little clover leafs @ 100yds with either. Have tried many other brands in it, but none come any where close, and many are considerably worse......

Don't count on Sako getting the caliber designation correct either or for that matter other gun makers either.

I have the cheaper one, black. Shot 65yds from bench: Shot Five shot groups 30gr Hornady V- Max, Win. 40gr defender and Win.super X 40 gr,JHP. V-Max and Defender amo group about the size of a tennis ball. Winchester A little bit larger then a dime group.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun

grin.gif

I said "cartrige" not "caliber" so don't count on any cash from me.
wink.gif

6mmo6, thats a nice rifle and scope set up you got there. Ill have my VMBZ Magnum out this week. Spring squirrel season opens in Arkanss on Wensday!

They are notorious for being picky about ammo. Once you find it they can be great. I had one that shot one ragged hole at 50 yards. Never punched paper at 100.

Back