224 Valkyrie for coyotes???

Originally Posted By: wormydog1724Update on my 224 Valkyrie thermal hunting coyotes.

I ended killing 30 coyotes this past january with the 224V and the 55gr Sierra Game Kings. I killed a couple with the 60gr VMAX but started experience high pressure issues, blown primers, split case necks etc. I did not experience any of that with the 55gr SGK's. I think I ended up with 7 in February and 3 in March before I quit calling. Pretty decent for me and I know there's going to be plenty out there this fall from what I've been hearing from pumpers and farmers.

I think the 224V has plenty of speed for coyotes from an AR platfrom. Accuracy isn't the best but I really haven't tried to tune a load. I need to get a proper day optic for it and work on that this summer/fall.

224V never was intended to run light bullets, period. Same goes for 6CM and 6ARC.

Unless its a custom reamer and barrel there us no guarantee. I see post after post of guys pulling their hair out trying to get those calibers to shoot the light bullets, some get lucky, a LOT don't.

I like betting on a winning horse and by that I mean people need to understand and educate themselves on how twist rates, freebore, bullet jump, maximum COAL and throating effects bullet selection and performance. I run stuff specifically designed as a complete system, not tweak stuff that was never designed to do.

Originally Posted By: Kino M
224V never was intended to run light bullets, period. Same goes for 6CM and 6ARC.

Unless its a custom reamer and barrel there us no guarantee. I see post after post of guys pulling their hair out trying to get those calibers to shoot the light bullets, some get lucky, a LOT don't.

I like betting on a winning horse and by that I mean people need to understand and educate themselves on how twist rates, freebore, bullet jump, maximum COAL and throating effects bullet selection and performance. I run stuff specifically designed as a complete system, not tweak stuff that was never designed to do.

I don't really care and I don't know why you quoted me. Mine does well with the 55's and 60's I've tried and I'm not pulling any hair out.

Anyways...

Update going into fall 2023:

I did end up getting a good day optic with a certificate I won at a match earlier this summer and my Sierra 55gr GameKing load with CFE223 is 1.25" at 100y from two 5-shot groups. Honestly better than I was expecting having never grouped it while just having the thermal on. 20" barrel, It was around 3450fps in 90* temps, no swipes but primers did start to get flat, but nothing terrible. I loaded a few pieces of brass 5 times that I know of and haven't found any signs of case separation using the paperclip test.

I've been out once this fall with it and my new thremal, iRay Hybrid 50, and killed one coyote at 150y. I'm going to load up two hundred of the 55gr SGK and roll with it this fall and winter.

With the day optic I loaded some 77gr SMK's and got them up to 2900fps and .75" groups. I'm going to explore that some more and try to take it to a couple long(ish) range matches when they start up again, might even try taking it to Raton next spring. I've taken my 18" 5.56 with 77gr SMK going 2700fps and its tough, maybe the 224V will perform better.

Hodgdons data has 224 Valkyrie doing 3489fps with CFE223 and a 55gr Nosler BT. So their data backs up my hypothesis and I've always found their data to be on the conservative side of pressures.
So I know this is years later. But I have not been able to find anything on reload data for the 60gr nosler btv for the valkyrie. If you have something a website or anything that can point in that direction would he awesome. I have the valkyrie with the 1 in 6.5 twist 20in barrel and the saker 556 can attached

Yotenator,

Alliant has a reloading manual you can download off of their website for free. There are 4 powders with data for that bullet.

Sierra has a manual and an APP that has data for 60gr HP and TMK bullets.

When i load, i reference a few sources if possible, and don't get too lost in charge weights. With case capacities, different lot numbers of powders, primers and chambers..... I look at the general consensus for max velocity out of a 24 inch barrel with that powder if applicable.

Start mid to low firing over a chronograph of some sort.

I will look in my Lyman AR manual tonight and see if they have a page on the 224V

The Vhita Vouri free application has load data for 62 grain TSX.

These days i like to go to the range with 7-8 cases loaded from min to max with the same powder and see how large the group is compared to another type of powder. This can be done at 100 or 200 yards. Its not really helpful at picking a powder charge. But it sure tells you that one powder definitely shoots better on average than another. It also gives you an idea about case fill and velocity.

Back