223 Varmint Guns

OkieOutlaw

I am in the market for a new varmint rifle. Really like the 223 caliber and want a good bolt rifle any suggestions on rifles and loads for coyotes and bobcats. I currently use 55gn jacketed soft points in my Mini 14 and have had pretty good results but the Ruger leaves something to be desired accuracy wise.

Look at a Tikka T3 Lite. I picked one up in .30-06 for an elk hunt and love it. Very accurate, very light. It's the bomb diggity!

I have a remington VSF with the Xmark trigger and it has the external adjustment and it is wonderfuly accurate. It has proven one of the most accurate rifles I have owned in 223 over the last 20yrs. It isn't as big and heavy as the normal heavy barreled rifle and can be shot offhand very easily. HAPPY HUNTING

I like my CZ 527 American in .223. It shot 9/16" (3 shot group) after 30 rounds through the barrel. I was shooting Winchester White box 45 gn HP from Wally World.

Originally Posted By: TNseniorI like my CZ 527 American in .223. It shot 9/16" (3 shot group) after 30 rounds through the barrel. I was shooting Winchester White box 45 gn HP from Wally World.

+1

rockriver varmiter and 60gr nosler bt's, the clouds will part the wind will stop and a big male coyote will stand broadside at exactly 100 yards, and ain't that the way it's supposed to be?

Just last week I wandered into WallyWorld and on a whim passed by Sports to find that they had the Winchester White Box 45 gr JHP's in stock, so I scored a box. A few days later I went back in and they had another box, so I bagged it for my bro'. I'm going back in tomorrow and if they have another box, I'm gonna get it, too, and that should suffice me for the season, I expect. A 40 round box for $23.98.

+1 on the Savage Predator Hunter for a bolt action. The right weight and scarey accurate. That said, I use a light weight AR in .204 for most of my calling now.

You will do well picking any thing listed here, or other simular posts. CZ Savage, tikka, Sako, Ruger, all make good guns, and as to which will be the most accurate, well to be frank its a toss up. I'll throw my vote in for a Savage, but thats just me, you won't go wrong with anything else either.

.223 bolt gun: best bang for the buck...Stevens model 200 by Savage.
Test your ammo to know for certain about each gun, but my Stevens loves 55gr pills the best.

Back