.223 squirrel

Ok, so are the coyotes already used to shots being fired in the area? If so then you should be out there and ready at first light, and I mean first light. I hunt an area here that is used alot for shooting practice and hunting, I noticed that if I'm even 10 minutes late I can't get nothin to come in. A little after first light the coyotes are already on thier way out of the area for the day so you should be abe to hunt squirrel during the day and still get em to come in If your set up before you can see. Wait till you can begin to see fairly and start callin. One time I was late, I seen 6 coyotes and was callin for all I was worth, they heard me, sat down and looked for a bit then got up and continued on the way out. It seems that once they are on thier way out they probably aint goin to turn around and come back. But wait it out cause you may have gotten ahead of some that might want to grab a bite to eat on thier way out of the area. The one predictable thing about coyotes are that they are unpredictable, at least to us begginers.

t/c223encore.

yea if a cpyte is comin in he is gonna keep comin

but if he is headin out or standidn broadside ake the shot cuz he aint comin i found that one out

Places i hunt rabbits in the coyotes learn that a shooting might mean easey food. I have had them follow us around and clean up Jacks we killed a couple of hours earlier. Shooting does not scare them unless you are shooting at them, and calling.

Quote:
ok if i were 2 take my .223 and BARELY clip the end of the squirrel nose how much danmage would there be

I'm guessing that if the squirrel is looking at you it would be substanialy damaged. Though I haven't done much firearms hunting for 25-30 yrs, I have shot a couple of squirrels with a 30-06. Some how it left the lower jaw most times, but removed the rest of the head, meat was still fine. A friend of mine shot a squirrel head on with a 22-250, left the top of the skull, foot bones, and tail in an otherwise clean, empty skin.
Claude

I squirrel hunt with a leveraction 357mag loaded with low powered cast 38 specials. I put 10 full house 357mag reloads in and then the 38s last. I'm 56 years old and still do head shots with the buckhorn sights. Drills a nice 38 hole and the squirrel doesn't do much flopping. Takes em off the limb kinda like a croquet mallet might. Birdshot tastes awful. I do this in the same areas I coyote hunt. Educating a coyote is fooling him and then telling him you fooled him without killing him. I also ride my four wheeler directly to my deer stand. Rideing a four wheeler around farm and ranch country is not unusual to a deer. A guy walking thru the woods is. Some people say that won't work but I kill three deer a year and the coyotes still come to the call. By the way, the 10 magnums in the rifle are for unfriendly hogs. We have a lot of em. The 357 rifle is not the best for mad hogs (better than a 22)but my leveraction 4570 is not the best for head shooting squirrels either. My predator rifles are a tuned up 700 in 2506 and a bushmaster m4a2 (Im only good out to about 250 yards with m4. Im getting old). If Im woods or brush calling the Model 92 357 is potent and quick for follow ups or doubles.

I thought my description of their exiting the limb would make the tree thing fairly obvious. Ground squirrels are nasty

The obviousness of it is what disturbed me. I don't know the area you are hunting in but I can think of about nowhere I have ever been where I would feel comfortable shooting a centerfire weapon upward into a tree, especially when the original gun in question is a .223. I have a .44 lever action that has a range only slightly longer than that of a wristrocket but would still not aim in the air, including open prarie country.

I possiby mis-understood you when you asked if we were shooting them up in the trees. If so the answer is No! we are not shooting them up in the trees. They were already up there when we found them.

Well a 600fps 38 has far less range than your 44 or his 223 or a 22lr for that matter. This type of squirrel hunting has gone on for centuries. I guess its different where you live. Also we shoot up not out. Its worked for a long time and Im a little surprised you have never heard of it.

Dee - I don't follow a "obvious" thing that you are saying. You said that you shot them out of trees, you then said "No!" that you were not shooting them out of trees this is just where you "found" them, you then said that it is a time honored tradition of shooting the rodents in this fashion. Which is it? And on a side note, even at 600 fps and if you are shooting up more than out (although it might be out more than up next time) it is not safe to shoot up into the air with any centerfire weapon. Once again I don't know where you do this at but I venture into some pretty remote areas of the lower 48 with my hobby and would still not consider it considering todays population levels. I have heard of this practice Dee, but times they are a changin'.

Yes, I believe you did miss the joke about not shooting them in the trees they were there when we found them. The people in my part of the country have been squirrel hunting like this for about 200 years and most are experience enough to know what is safe and what is not. I have been shooting all my life and reloading rifle and pistol ammo since 1970. I am state certified as a law-enforcement weapons instructer (over 20 years) and before retirement ran and trained a SRT Team and Tactical K-9. So I am aware of what is safe and what is not. Your opinion is YOURS and mine is MINE. I don't judge you and your not qualified (you know nothing about me)to judge me. So lets drop it.

Back