.223 rem zero

I'm so confused!
smile.gif

Are we talking open sights, low or high rings. Sea level, or Colorado mountain side, 30 degrees or 100 degrees, raining or 10% humidity? Published velocity, or actually what it is out of your rifle?

It depends on a lot of variables as to what the correct answer will be. Grasshopper!

Last edited:
Look up, and bookmark, the JBM Ballistic Calculator...Feed in the required data on your round and you have the option of various distances in which you are interested...I usually set 25 yard increments, and you can plot your trajectory pretty close if your data is solid...It takes into account your elevation, temperature, scope height, etc...You can run numbers out to as far as you can shoot, I think...Just keep in mind that changing any one of the data factors will change the outcome...

Once you work your way through several calculations, it will become an invaluable tool for load development or sight in work...

Strelok has a free app you can download to your phone that is not bad if the inputs are correct. Like any ballistic calculator it will be off if velocity is off. I find powder company listed velocity is optimistic most times. It's handy as you can easily have the phone with you and can change atmospheric conditions, mostly temperature for me, quickly. It has most popular scope reticles listed. I wish it would list bullet types as well as weight. If there is a better app for android phones maybe someone will post it. I like "free" best.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I meant the little pooch 223 would start dying at 200.

I know some guys that shoot their little pooches at 1000 yards.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

WHAT?????? Dead on at 50 about +1 at a hundred A touch low at 200 and about 7" low at three hndred. This is not out of a book somewhere. This is with 55 gr bulet at about 3100 fps.

JD

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Smackem223I meant the little pooch 223 would start dying at 200.

I know some guys that shoot their little pooches at 1000 yards.

Grin...yep. I've heard stories!

Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Your numbers do not make sense. You need to research ballistics.

Most of the 1000 yd guys shooting .223 are shooting 90gr bullets out of custom barrels with long throats. They been winning a match now and then.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Your 3" low at 50 makes absolutely no sense. Bullets do not rise.
Bullets don't rise, they start dropping immediately, if only a tiny bit. However, the sight axis and the bore axis do intersect with short-range zeroes, so in a sense the bullet does "rise."

Originally Posted By: GunBugBitOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Smackem223I would want to be about 3 inches low at 50 yards. Should be a couple inches high at 100 and starting to die at 200. That's why I'm going to a 22-250.

Your 3" low at 50 makes absolutely no sense. Bullets do not rise.
Bullets don't rise, they start dropping immediately, if only a tiny bit. However, the sight axis and the bore axis do intersect with short-range zeroes, so in a sense the bullet does "rise."

You can't have it 'in a sense' when that defies physics laws.

Contrary to popular belief, due to the laws of gravity, a bullet never really "rises" above the bore line; the "rise" is above the sight line of the scope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gunstuff/Zeroing_%28guns%29

A lot of people have a hard time with the idea that velocity doesn't effect gravity. Another way to explain it is that if there are 2 identical bullets, and one is dropped from a height of 4 feet, and the other is fired from a muzzle 4 feet high that is perfectly parallel to the ground at a muzzle velocity of 4000 ft/sec, at exactly the same instant, they will hit the ground at exactly the same instant.

Great example of newton's law of gravity. The thing is as they both drop vertically one of them will travel about 3200 ft in one second before it hits the ground a few seconds later. And in those last few seconds while it's dropping at the same speed as the other bullet it will travel a few hundred or thousand more feet horizontally.

They will both hit the ground at the same time but not in the same spot.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223Just trying to keep it in the kill zone for him up to 200. Don't want to mow a trench through the rubbed spot on it's back.

Sight in for a 200yd zero and be done. That should put you around a inch high at 100yds and about 1/2" low at 50yds. If you miss its all you, .223 ballistics arent that crappy.

Originally Posted By: Smackem223Just trying to keep it in the kill zone for him up to 200. Don't want to mow a trench through the rubbed spot on it's back.
Well, here's what Winchester says about the trajectory of the load you referenced:

223 Remington 55 gr. Super-X® Pointed Soft Point
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.197 - Muzzle Velocity: 3240

DISTANCE DROP VELOCITY ENERGY
0 0 -1.5 0 3240 1280.76
25 -0.6 0 3111 1180.92
50 0 0 2986 1087.88
75 0.4 0 2865 1001.13
100 0.5 0 2746 920.18
125 0.3 0 2631 844.63
150 -0.2 0 2519 774.08
175 -1 0 2409 708.24
200 -2.2 0 2303 646.84

http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.c...p;Altitude=1000

IMHO, I think you're SEVERELY underestimating the effectiveness of the .223! With a 50yd zero, with that load, you can simply hold dead-on at something beyond 200yds.

Back