223 Reloads getting stuck in chamber

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesMy Armalite has .223/5.56mm NATO stamped on the mag well.

Then it does have a Wylde Chamber, or something like that
where the chamber specs allow for both 223 Rem. and 5.56 NATO
to be fired safely.

As to the OP having stuck rounds, been there done that.
In my case, improperly sized cases, were the culprit. I
used the wrong shell plate, with my Lee die set. In my case,
I grew tired of stuck cases in the Lee die, so I purchased
a Forster Ultra die set for 223 Rem...Both problems solved.
I have seen dirty chambers act the same way, and in one
case the shooter said he only had a couple of hundred rounds
of ammo down the tube. He had been shooting some foreign
steel case ammo that must have been VERY dirty burning.
It was like gray concrete packed in his chamber.

Squeeze

On my Lee dies I took the expander out of my die and polished in a drill with rubbing compound. Made it a bit smaller and much smoother. Before doing this it seemed to expand the necks a bit much or stretched the shoulder area on the way out. Much more consistant tension when seating the bullets too.

I had same problem. I found out it was not the case but the bullet. I went from serria 52gr bthp to hornady 52gr bthp. The hornady bullet has to be set at 2.23 OAL compared to 2.25 for serria. Shortened the OAL this fixed the problem.

Didn't read anyone's reply on checking sized cases with a case gage. Wylde chamber is for 223 or 5.56. Size, trim, check with case gage. Should be good to go.
Andrew

Originally Posted By: andrew1204Didn't read anyone's reply on checking sized cases with a case gage. Wylde chamber is for 223 or 5.56. Size, trim, check with case gage. Should be good to go.
Andrew

That's cuz it's a 90% chance that a case gauge won't show the problem.

The two DPMS lowers I have show 5.56-.223, however the barrels are marked differently.(FWIW)
The two Lee die sets I use for .223 Remington both work fine for resizing brass to work in 5 different AR`s. One possibility that could be causing a problem is the expander mandrell. The instructions with the die state that the mandrell should be flush (or close to) with the top of the die/locknut. If my dies are set up this way (flush), then the bottom of the shell hits before the brass/shoulder is pushed back far enough. Mine work with the rod/mandrel protruding ~1/8"

Back