.223 or .204?

If my reading was correct, and you said that you will use it for
up to coyotes, and
you want fast,
and cost is a factor

up to coyotes, other comments have been posted
you want fast .204
cost is a factor .223

But, how many rounds will you really shoot? It's like buying an econobox and only driving it 500 miles a year. Look at comparable ammo prices, and then consider how much you will probably be shooting it. I am thinking about selling a 7.62x39 upper to get a 6.5Grendel because I have only shot the 7.62x39 10 times in 2 years. Ammo is cheaper, but the 6.5G is MUCH better ballistically.

A fast twist .223 should get you farther than then .204, but the .204 will be flatter. I have been so close to buying a .204 several times, but always stay with the .223.

Last edited:
You can run a 40 grain bullet out of a 223 at nearly the same speed as a 39 grain out of a 204 but the ballistic coefficient will be quite a bit higher in the 39, .287 to .221. At 300 yds the 204 will have a noticeably better trajectory and will resist wind quite a bit better.

you guys are funny....

As far as ammo cost, I looked up both, cost for a good round in either caliber is about the same (around 18.00 to 20.00 a box of 20 source midway USA) however if you don't mind an off brand bullet you can get the 223 much cheaper. As far as availability goes you will probably be more able to walk into your local gun store and pickup 223 ammo where as you may be hard pressed to find 204 ammo, in other words 204 ammo is not as readily available.

I then looked up trajectory (flat shooting) for each caliber, this really depends on the bullet weight and speed, but for an overall flatter shooting caliber the 204 wins here.

Originally Posted By: MousedipperAs a general statement, Perhaps it is not absolute.

From My personal experience, it is spot on. I have owned and loaded for 3 .204's all different brands, None would shoot less than 1 1/2 or 2 inches at 100 yds. And yes, my other rifles will shoot 1/4" groups all day long if I do my part.

Dave

It's NOT the Ruger/round... must be you.

When breaking in my barrel, the first two shots (50 yds.) made one (1) perfect hole. the third shot, ovaled the hole.
I'm droppin dogs (two this weekend) at 380 (dropped from sitting to lying, NO movement), and one at 400 w/wind.

It's NOT the brand (Ruger) or the round (204)... quit being a Hater.

I love my Remington 700 223 it's a tack driver with the Remington factory loads 55 gr psp

hpa2-8.jpg

that is a hard ? to answer I have 5 223s one an AR I have 3 204s one is a Cooper one is an AR I don't know which cal. is better yotes dont walk away from either cal. out to 400 yds. PDs longest kill 598 with 223 don't know how far the 204 will kill past 420 which is the longest PD kill all 7 guns have Leo 6.5-20s on them

I have a Savage .204 ruger, heavy barrel, laminate stock and accutrigger that is basically brand spanking new if someone is interested.

Last edited:
I have a Remington 700 .223, a Ruger M-77 Hawkeye 22-250, and a Howa Axiom .204, and I love all three!! Its almost a tear jerker to pick one over the other...(I rotate) but if I had to pick one the 22-250 is a tack driver!!

My .204 is built on an AR chassis and has a Lilja 1-10 twist heavy 22" varmint barrel. When your set up properly the 40 grain Vmax @ 3700fps is about as good of a Varmint bullet as you will find...

I've got both, and both will kill coyote DRT!! With that being said I much prefer my 204. It's a very "neat" gun and extremely fun to shoot!!

Quote:You can run a 40 grain bullet out of a 223 at nearly the same speed as a 39 grain out of a 204 ...Only if you get a 1/14 twist .223 barrel...Been there, done that...Then you are limited to 55gr bullets in the .223...

If you don't reload and are concerned about expenses, go with the .223...

Back