.223 loads for 52 and 55 bullets (same powder?)

coolhand

Hey guys, loading up some .223 prairie dog rounds. I have 52 grn Sierra matchkings and 55 grn Vmax. Has anybody had good luck loading both of these with the same powder? Would like to stick with one powder. I understand that it might not be the absolute best in either, but a good compromise. Thanks

I would give benchmark a try. I have used it in two guns stevens 200 and sav 12 223s and it did wonders in both. I have only used the 52 gr bergers but would think they would all shoot pretty close. i load with 25 grains

Originally Posted By: 5spdW748/BLC2/Varget/Benchmark will all do.

Yup. Had good luck with them all, but best luck of those four mentioned with Varget. I like them all. Don't forget to give X-Terminator a try. It is fast becoming a favorite of mine as well.

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Rustydust... You like Varget with this light of bullet? I have never tried it, But I have a couple pounds waiting in the wings...

Absolutely!

The load of 26 grains of Varget and the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was advised to me several years ago by a friend when he was having good luck with it in his personal .223 rifle. Not only was it accurate, it has become my most used rifle load of all time. I used it for thousands of rounds in my Savage before making it into a .223 Ackley. It is the only load that I use in my .223 AR-15 varminter anymore as well. People that have never shot my gun before have shot this load into a sub half inch five shot group at 100 yards. As a matter of fact, in the last 8 years I have bought more Varget powder than all the other rifle powders combined. I like it in my .17 Remington too. I have tried it in my .204 and my .220 Swift, but both of these rifles seem to like other powders. That's OK, as my .223 rifles see the most use anyway- they sure have torn up a lot of ground squirrels so far this year!

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: 5spdW748/BLC2/Varget/Benchmark will all do.

Yup. Had good luck with them all, but best luck of those four mentioned with Varget. I like them all. Don't forget to give X-Terminator a try. It is fast becoming a favorite of mine as well.

+1 on the X-Terminator

That's what I have been using in 223 55gr V-maxs, it will work with the 52gr also.

Thanks Guys, seems like so many powders will work well in this round. I think i'll try either Varget or X-terminator. If i'm not mistaken, Varget should work with the heavier bullets also. Would be nice if I could use one powder for a P-Dog load(50-55 grn) and another for Yotes(68-69 grn). Or how about just one load with a 55 that would work well for both?

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046With the featherweights like that I've had the best luck with Ramshot TAC.

+1 for the TAC.

Can't really go wrong with any of the 4 (benchmark,varget,TAC,X-terminator)

Last edited:
coolhand, the Sierra 52's just punch holes in P. dogs, leave them at home.

I shot them out of a 223 at 3450 and a 22PPC at 3550...dismal results. I had to really place my shots on the shoulder.

Originally Posted By: ackleymancoolhand, the Sierra 52's just punch holes in P. dogs, leave them at home.

I shot them out of a 223 at 3450 and a 22PPC at 3550...dismal results. I had to really place my shots on the shoulder.

Ackleyman is correct. I shot a couple of ground squirrels a bit over 400 yards with these with my .220 Swift. Clean pass throughs. Did kill them on the spot but no toss at all. Shot some at this distance with a Vmax and they got airborne. Like it says in my signature, I'm here for the toss.

I shoot the Hornady 55 Gr. V-MAX and Sierra 52 Gr. HP BT match bullets in my AR and have had great results with Ramshot TAC and CCI 450 primers.

DAB

I load Tac 24.2 Grs. and 55Gr. V-Max into LC once fired brass that is prepped(brass cost $104/1000) Last year I loaded about 55,000 rnds. of these .223. I have also loaded 15,000 rnds. of .22-250 using 34.8 grns. of TAC, 55gr. V-Max and new Winchester or Remington brass. I am loading with a 1050 Super Dillon auto loader.
I use the .223 in my AR 15. I am going to load some for my Savage LRPV, with the Dillon and compare the groups with ammo made on Redding Benchrest Dies. The best group at 100 yards with this rifle is a three shot group while breaking in the barrel of .107", shots 32, 33 and 34 through the barrel. I have also loaded H335 in the .223 for my rifles. I use a reduced load of 12 grns.of Bluedot in a T/C Encore with a 52 gr. bullet. If I remember right, I got 2800 fps out of that load, and use a suppressor on the rifle for gophers.
One thing about this .223 caliber is that it shoots a lot of
different powders well.

Back