.223 Case length

Some bullets crimped into case at groove with 1.750" trim length will be into the lands on a 223 chamber. But not into lands on a 5.56 nato chamber. Nosler 64gr BSB is one.

Catshooter:

Glad to see my post has garnered some responses; I still stand behind it.

Published data including trim lengths are something to follow, especially when one is a novice and just starting out. No one mentioned that so I did.

Originally Posted By: baltz526Some bullets crimped into case at groove with 1.750" trim length will be into the lands on a 223 chamber. But not into lands on a 5.56 nato chamber. Nosler 64gr BSB is one.

just because a bullet has a cannelure does not mean that the case has to be crimped into it. that bullet could easily have many applications, not just the one you are using it for.

if you are determining your overall length based on where a cannelure is located, reloading may not be for you.

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialCatshooter:

Glad to see my post has garnered some responses; I still stand behind it.

Published data including trim lengths are something to follow, especially when one is a novice and just starting out. No one mentioned that so I did.

i believe you started your incorrect post by stating that everyone else is wrong.

you jumped in proclaiming everyone was wrong, and then proceeded to step in it big time.

trooper-albums-misc-picture20133-thread-delivers.jpg

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223I checked two different manuals this morning and they were .010 difference between the two. One said 1.750 and the other 1.760, what is right?

Ok.......new 223 brass can measure anywhere from 1.750" to 1.760". Depends on the headstamp, and variation from lot to lot. Don't worry about what the reloading manuals say. Your brass is what it is and it'll be fine. And don't be messing with "trim to" length either.

Back