.223-8 twist vs .243 for deer inside 200 yds

Originally Posted By: hickerx2Although some will argue that the .223 is adequate for deer, IMO it can't compete on any level with a .243 and proper bullets. I personally believe that the .243 is too light for deer( at least our deer, which could reach 300#) but between the two, take the .243 every time.

I have a 115 grain bullet coming out of my 243 that I know will have no problem putting down any deer. The 243 is not light for deer, there are more people out there wounding deer with magnum calibers because they are afraid of and flinch from the recoil then the normal hunter who takes a 243 to the field and knows how to use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LWILLIAMSOriginally Posted By: hickerx2Although some will argue that the .223 is adequate for deer, IMO it can't compete on any level with a .243 and proper bullets. I personally believe that the .243 is too light for deer( at least our deer, which could reach 300#) but between the two, take the .243 every time.

I have a 115 grain bullet coming out of my 243 that I know will have no problem putting down any deer. The 243 is not light for deer, there are more people out there wounding deer with magnum calibers because they are afraid of and flinch from the recoil then the normal hunter who takes a 243 to the field and knows how to use it.

Big +1. I feel just as comfortable shooting a deer with a .223 as I do with my 30-06, 308, etc.

Last edited:
Back