223 55 Grain Ammo for Deer

Don't use a vmax for deer they blow up if ya dont hit the lungs or heart,Ive had great sucess w/a 69gr HPBT.DRT with neck shots.If your twist wont stabalize a heaver bullet try hornady 55gr SP, RED BOX they are a great bullet for deer. The max effective range for deer w/a .223 should be no more than 200 yds unless you are into minimal blood for tracking.Ive taken deer with a .223 here in Pa. because most I know say it's to small....I beg to differ n proved it. I now use a.243 or a 22-250.

Last edited:
black hills 62 grain barnes tsx its probably the best choice for medium game. It happens to have the same trajectory as Hornaday 55 gr. sp that I use. The impact is within about 1/4" at 100 yards from my tikka. I've dropped a 150 lb hog and a few coyote with the tsx. I just pull the bore snake when I switch ammo.

Depends on your range? I killed one at about 200. Hit it right in the base of neck with a 55gr nosler bt. It killed dead. It would not be my first choice. To many variables, to small a bullet. I wouldn't go for a hear shot with it for anything

Back