.221 Fireball

You did "good". I have a Leupold 6-18X VX2 and 4-16 Sightron SII Big Sky on my .221s; both great scopes for that chambering and the small-sized rifle ( the SII was on a CZ 527 previously).

Good luck with your selection. I hope you find it accurate and fun to shoot.

Not to hijack the thread but I will be waiting on the other option, 17 Fireball, custom build on a Ruger #1 action with a Lilja barrel as soon as I finish gathering parts.

I have stock piled some ammo so I should have plenty of factory cases to reload and will be ordering some Nagel bullets here in the next little bit.

The gun is at least 6 months out so I have some wait time.

I think I'll go scope shopping today and see if I can find anything good.

huntschool,That's the only bad thing about ordering a new rifle or any gun period....the wait. Life is way too short to have to wait around. Maybe I'm just impatient I don't know. I get things done I do know that. This thread is a pretty good example of that.lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerWell it's a done deal now. I'll be the owner of a CZ527 .221 Fireball here before long. Seen a big bobcat this evening so he was just in time. Or in the wrong spot at the wrong time. However you want to look at it. If he'll just stay right in that general area I'll be shootin him with it.

Good call.....my CZ 221FB was the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned and that includes a Cooper.
I had bought it with the intention of rebarreling to 17FB so that's what I eventually did. It was a hard decision but I'm glad I did.

I still have the 221 barrel "just in case" though.

As mentioned above, Reloader 7 and 40gr Vmax seem to be made for the 221.

Rattler:

At my age the wait could become uncertain.... but the outcome, if everything works, will be awesome. I agree about jumping on it when ya can as I have done that more times then I can remember. Some worked well and of course some did not.

In this case, the gun will be exactly what I am looking for.

Again, good luck with your new outfit....

RePete,good to hear yours was a shooter. I hope here before long I can tell y'all the same thing about mine. And a picture of a pile of critters to go along with it.

huntschool,I appreciate it man. I'm sure we'll both have some sweet shootin rifles from the sound of it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking since my intended use for this rifle will be an all around predator huntin rifle/saving fur, I'm going to load up some 40 grain softpoints. I'll mainly be killing coyotes and bobcats with it but I'll also be shooting fox from time to time. I'm hoping a softpoint would be more likely to punch a hole through a fox without damaging the pelt if I stay away from bone. Also I would benefit from that bullet when I'm calling coyotes in case I have to shoot through bone. That's just my theory on how I could save fur on pretty much any predator I'll be shootin at.

For varmints I'll probably just use whatever blows them into chunks the best.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerFor varmints I'll probably just use whatever blows them into chunks the best.

I had a very memorable double once with my Furball. The range was not super long at less than 150 yards I'm sure. I was watching a couple of prairie dogs dancing around with each other for about a minute or so through the scope on my .221 FB. When they finally lined up one behind the the other I sent a 40 grain Vmax their direction. Looked like a bowl of cherry Jello had exploded. Being the morbid fellow that I am I grabbed my camera and decided to check out the carnage. For the life of me I could not tell which one of them was tore up the worst. Just gore everywhere. Fur and guts and vertebrae and whatever those critters had eaten was in four foot blast radius. From then on the Vmax was my bullet of choice for colony varmints in my .221.

A soft point or maybe a 50 grain bullet would be a better choice for foxes and coyote I'm sure but for critters you want to disintegrate? The Vmax sure does a fine job.

Those doubles are always fun. I'll definitely have to see what that .221 can do in a prairie dog town. It won't be too far off and those little ones will be popping up. That's when you can get a whole bunch with one shot.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI'm thinking since my intended use for this rifle will be an all around predator huntin rifle/saving fur, I'm going to load up some 40 grain softpoints. I'll mainly be killing coyotes and bobcats with it but I'll also be shooting fox from time to time. I'm hoping a softpoint would be more likely to punch a hole through a fox without damaging the pelt if I stay away from bone. Also I would benefit from that bullet when I'm calling coyotes in case I have to shoot through bone. That's just my theory on how I could save fur on pretty much any predator I'll be shootin at.

For varmints I'll probably just use whatever blows them into chunks the best.

Another good choice......plastic tips are fun for paper and colony varmints but a good Spitzer or HP is always a good choice for larger critters.
I shoot HP's in my predator rigs.

I normally shoot HP's and V-Max but I figured the Softpoint might be one of my better options for the .221FB since I'll be shooting the occasional fox. I don't know what a hollowpoint would do to one. It might actually be a good choice as well. There's really only one way to know for sure I suppose.

Do any of you guys have an experience with CFE BLK gun powder? I was told it's good stuff so that's kind of what I thought about buying.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerDo any of you guys have an experience with CFE BLK gun powder?

If you try it and it works well for you let us know about it. Lil Gun is my personal favorite as I have gotten my best speeds as well as accuracy from it. But in a week or so I should have my .221 back and my new barrel just might not like Lil Gun quite as well as the factory one did.

No matter. It does look like it may just be a most excellent powder for the little Furball and I feel sure that I will be buying some and trying it out. At least a lb of it anyway.

I'll report back with results for sure. I've never been afraid to be the guy that tries it first.lol I'm just trying to broaden y'alls horizons.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI normally shoot HP's and V-Max but I figured the Softpoint might be one of my better options for the .221FB since I'll be shooting the occasional fox. I don't know what a hollowpoint would do to one. It might actually be a good choice as well. There's really only one way to know for sure I suppose.

I've never killed a Fox but from all reports they're pretty delicate so the spitzer's probably not a bad idea.

I shoot 17cal's 90% of the time so I use HP's.
Remington made some lead tipped 17"s years ago that were excellent but they've gone the way of the Do-Do bird.

I figured I'd bring this back to life. I've had two FFL dealers looking for a CZ .221 Fireball since I decided to buy one and neither one has found one for me. It seems as though CZ no longer offers the .221 and hasn't in quite some time unbeknownst to me.

So....I have powder,brass,bullets,reloading dies and no rifle. What's a guy to do?

I'm starting to think getting a Thompson Center Encore frame and ordering a .221 Fireball barrel is my best bet at this point. I have everything I need except the rifle....Which I can't say I've ever bought ammo before I owned the gun but it seems as though I have done that now.

Scratch that. I don't even know if they make a barrel in that caliber anymore either.....ughhh....am I gonna have to buy one of those weird lookin pistols?

Everything that has .221 Fireball stamped on it is at least $1,000 or close to it. If I buy a gun that costs over $700 it's not for killin stuff....It's just for lookin at.lol

Last edited:
Call CZ USA and see if they know of one laying around or who ordered a large batch. Plus every few years them make a run of the off calibers. Worth a try.

I think the next run of 527 Fireball's will be in 2018, I already called them earlier this year about that. I ended up buying a custom 527 with a .221 Fireball barrel a couple weeks ago. Need to get it out and test it.

Check the online auction sites, there are some 527 Fireball's out there.

I used to have a Rem 700 Light Varmint, and should not have gotten rid of it. 40gr V-Max or Nosler BT's were my go to for general plinking and hunting. If I was focusing on fox and bobcats, I would probably go with a 50gr soft point. It will leave two small holes in and out and not explode as bad as the ballistic tips.

Originally Posted By: RBO11I think the next run of 527 Fireball's will be in 2018, I already called them earlier this year about that. I ended up buying a custom 527 with a .221 Fireball barrel a couple weeks ago. Need to get it out and test it.

Check the online auction sites, there are some 527 Fireball's out there.

I used to have a Rem 700 Light Varmint, and should not have gotten rid of it. 40gr V-Max or Nosler BT's were my go to for general plinking and hunting. If I was focusing on fox and bobcats, I would probably go with a 50gr soft point. It will leave two small holes in and out and not explode as bad as the ballistic tips.

I've got several styles of bullets so far so I have a variety to test out.lol I agree I think the softpoint will be my go to bullet for predator huntin.

I search the internet several times a day hoping to run across one so I'm hoping I get lucky. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm committed now....I have the ammo. You know....yeah I could sell all the .221 Fireball ammo stuff I bought when I was bright eyed and bushy tailed and confident I'd have one in a week. But I'm not gonna sell all that stuff because.....well....because I want a stinkin .221 Fireball.

That is good news about there being another run of them soon. Just in case. It can't get here soon enough. I'm ready to have one already.

Last edited:
Back