220 Swift vs 204 Ruger

Same velocities, same trajectories. My CZ 527 lets me watch the hits in the scope. That seems a real advantage to me. It's also less expensive to shoot using much less powder.

Some of the old standards are being challenged by this new comer. Really the only thing that the 22-250 or 220 Swift have over it is the fact that they handle the wind better with heavier lead.

The 204 wins all the other categories, faster,flatter, not a barrel burner, cheaper to reload for(less powder), easier/more enjoyable to shoot, watch your impacts out there without losing the site picture, variety of bullet selection is growing rapidly.

Quote:
Some of the old standards are being challenged by this new comer. Really the only thing that the 22-250 or 220 Swift have over it is the fact that they handle the wind better with heavier lead.

The 204 wins all the other categories, faster,flatter, not a barrel burner, cheaper to reload for(less powder), easier/more enjoyable to shoot, watch your impacts out there without losing the site picture, variety of bullet selection is growing rapidly.

You said it all very well! Man I love this .204! Got it last year in July and it quickly became my favorite rifle-heck, even my wife likes it.

A friend of mine has had 4 Swifts and a couple 22-250's over the years now he uses 2 .204's and a.223.

the 204 is not even in the same boat as the swift!
if you are looking for any knockdown power go with a swift
traded my 204 a long time ago and have not looked back, but I shoot yotes not squirrels.

Shoot the 39gr Sierra Blitz Kings outta that 204 & you'll never want a big boomin Swift!!

BTW-- I have no problem with the Swift or the 22-250. I just know what the 204 is capable of. Much more than it's given credit for.

Between me and my hunting partner, both using the .204 (mine a Ruger M77 and his a Savage) we called in and took 42 coyotes in CA last season. Only one ran any distance and that was poor shot placement on my part. We were both using the 39gr Blitzking. The longest shot was a 310-yard shot from the Ruger. No experience with the Swift, but watching the hits in the scope and the very high kill to hit ratio sold me.

On this topic, I'll take the "chicken" way out. I have two 220's and three 204's. Which do I like better? It depends on when you ask me. The 204 has all the facts to support it. On nostalgia and over 60 years of proven performance, it is hard to question the Swift. Besides, when I want to sound like the old USS Missouri, the Swift can't be beat.

well its so hard to choose
im gonna be getting a rifle here in the next couple months and these are the 2 calibers i like the most
but i cant pick one

Hey Switch how was the fur damage with the 39gr BK's. That's what my .204 shoots best. I know augnmike is shootin the 35gr Bergers now.

Deerslam, the pelt damage wasn't bad at all with the 39 gr BK. Unless of course you hit bone. I blew a softball sized exit hole in one out at 210-yards when I hit the spine.

Also, with close shots, we saw larger holes. I shot one through the neck at about 30-yards that came close to taking off the head.

Other than that they were pin hole entrances and mostly no exits.

Yeah Augnmike is re-loading 35's now. My gun, a Ruger M77 Varminter Heavy barrel, nick named Fat Sally, loves the 39's as well and so far I can't complain with the performance.

I would not have expected you "220 Swift guys" to lay down and roll over. "Define keeping up with", if you are only talking speed, now there is a discussion. If you are talking popularity, things are changing fast. Yes, the 220 has more reach, maybe, and yes it bucks the wind better. What else? flatness, accuracy, trajectory, speed-NO

Not speed or popularity
The claim that you get the same velocities and same trajectories is hog wash
You may as well compare the 260 rem to the 7mm Magnum
It just aint the same
Right where the 204 ends the swift picks up
Don't get me wrong the 204 is a fine cartridge but to compare it to the swift and the 22-250 is not being fair to either catridge
Why not compare it to other 20 cal cartriges to keep it even
Tac 20 ,20 var.ect....

Quote:
Not speed or popularity

You mean the 220 is as popular as the .204? I didn't know that.

Where can I buy some of that 220 Factory Ammo at 4200+fps?

Quote:
Quote:
Not speed or popularity

You mean the 220 is as popular as the .204? I didn't know that.

? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

White Eagle,I was smiling(sheepishly) when I typed that. Hope you are as well.

Ammo of any kind, for the Swift is hard to find on the shelf, ain't it?

Didn't get on the 35 Bergers till the end of the season but did get one fox, two coyotes and a bobcat with them. Very little fur damage. Off season I have reloaded the load I worked up 27.4 grains, H335, Rem brass, 35 gr Bergers. I have two hundred rounds ready to rock n' roll but with this drought we may find this a tough year in Southern CA. If things don't improve soon this two hundred rounds might last ten years.

Back