220 Swift Accuracy load

For some reason I just remembered the guy that showed up with a AR type rifle with a flashlight and a cupholder strapped to it, and started shooting with no target set up.

Exactly! I know that my Swift will easily best 4000 fps with many loads but if can load a fine accurate load at a speed that my rifle, my brass as well as my pocketbook can appreciate then that's all good. Only makes sense to me.

I should mention that if you have a suppressor on your gun like I do, then a slightly reduced load is all the better. After all, .220 Swifts aint known for being quiet are they?

Originally Posted By: Rustydust After all, .220 Swifts aint known for being quiet are they?

Yeah they tend to have the "eargensplittenloudenboomer" effect.

Rusty,

You would put a four cylinder motor in your Corvette, because it will get better milage and will get you from point a to b.

The loads I listed are maxed out but will shoot .3 five shot groups out of my rifle. Sorry you have to slow down to 3500 to get accuracy out of yours.
smile.gif

I will agree with you on Swift's in a PD town, gives you something to shoot those 300-600 yard dogs with while the .223's cool. Even shooting slow, 10-20 rounds and the Swift gets hot. Up close, the splat effect is awsome!

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesRusty,

You would put a four cylinder motor in your Corvette, because it will get better milage and will get you from point a to b.

The loads I listed are maxed out but will shoot .3 five shot groups out of my rifle. Sorry you have to slow down to 3500 to get accuracy out of yours.
smile.gif

I will agree with you on Swift's in a PD town, gives you something to shoot those 300-600 yard dogs with while the .223's cool. Even shooting slow, 10-20 rounds and the Swift gets hot. Up close, the splat effect is awsome!

First answer first: No I would not. Would you? But if you had a Corvette, would you always drive it full thottle? Every time that you drove it would you drive it wide open? Of course not as that would be stupid. That's the point that I am at least trying to make here. There is no reason for me to shoot my Swift 100% of the time as a .220 Swift. Remember that the main question here was accuracy- not speed. And as someone that has had to replace a .220 Swift barrel due to shooting nothing but hot loads through it all the time (and some very accurate ones as well) I am not in a big hurry to do it again. Not when its' going to cost me $500 or so. Again, that would be pretty stupid.

And I'm not too sure where you got the idea that I had to slow my Swift down to get accuracy out it. I never said that or ment to imply that. I have some pet loads that will push a Sierra 52 grain HPBT at well over 4000 fps that will put them into a 5/8" hole at 100 yards. But any prairie dog that I shoot at 400 yards will go to pasture poodle heaven just as well if I slow that load down to 3800 FPS. The life of my brass will more than double as well. More than double.

And for sure, the mighty .220 Swift will certainly heat up a barrel in a hurry. But when mine gets too hot for further shooting I just set it back in the case and pick up another gun for a while. If my targets are less than 400 yards away, and most of them are, I prefer my .223 AI or if the shooting is fast and heavy then my AR-15 varminter.

I have learned a lot about the .220 Swift in almost 4 decades of owning and shooting them. I think that I will make use of what I have learned in a way that makes my gun and me very happy.

To argue one point, A: I wouldn't call 5/8"@ 100yds a good group unless it was .270" or larger caliber. Second, why even have a 220 Swift if you are going to drive it like a 22-250? If you are that concerned about burning up the barrel just leave it in the safe. It's kinda like not driving that corvette because you might wear out the tires. Replacing a barrel is just a cost of doing business in this game. If that's too much for your taste then so be it. Each to their own, but that's my opinion.

The OP's question was for an accuracy load. Most if not all that purchase a 220 Swift do it for one reason, it's fast. If the op wants to reduce loads to save barrel later on, so be it. Hey, the load I shoot chronys @ 3940fps pushing a 55gr v-max with no pressure signs. Does that mean I'm going to burn my barrel up in 500 rds, I think not. If I stayed with the load getting me 4060fps, that was cratering primers, then yes. It's all up to each's own.

Back at the OP, pick up a can of IMR 4007ssc and start a little below max, and work your way up. I'll bet you find what your gun likes about 1-2gr less than what is max in your gun. If you are worried about burning up the barrel then choose another powder that will give you accuracy at a lower charge. It's up to you.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

Why load a .220 Swift down to 222 Magnum velocities.

3,500 with a 55gr bullet is almost insulting to a Swift. I get that in my 222 Magnum.

I'll say it is insulting, or rather pointless. Just as well leave the Swift at home.

Since we like analogies here, I'll say it would be like taking your sister on a date to the prom. It's just effing wrong!
sneaky2.gif

Originally Posted By: travjcOriginally Posted By: CatShooter

Why load a .220 Swift down to 222 Magnum velocities.

3,500 with a 55gr bullet is almost insulting to a Swift. I get that in my 222 Magnum.

I'll say it is insulting, or rather pointless. Just as well leave the Swift at home.

OK, it seems that there are some here on this forum that are having trouble understanding something here. I never said that I always shot my Swift with reduced loads now did I? Nope I certainly did not. I never did say that and why some of you think that because I don't load full throttle all the time that means that I don't ever is way beyond me. As I stated in an earlier post I shot a .220 Swift plenty with hot loads. Enough to fully toast the barrel. Being older and wiser now I know better than to shoot it all the time with hot or even semi-hot loads. It just makes no sense to do so. And because I want to take care of my gun seems strange to a few of you for some reason.

As I pointed out, no sensible person drives their car wide open all the time nor do I shoot my Swift, nor my .357 Magnum, nor my .44 Magnum, nor my .460 S&W Magnum, nor any other gun of mine at as fast as it will go all the time. If you want to with yours, fine. It's your gun and if you want it to die an earlier death than it has to then I say go for it. I used to be just like that but over the years I have learned to throttle back a bit and get better results in other areas. Lose in one way but gain in others. Well worth it to me.

Well I have 3 swifts for-sale now because I don't shoot them at max.The swift gods have spoken.The op asked about accuracy not speed.Second WHO ARE YOU to tell another man how to shoot his guns are you paying the bill.

Back to Loads,.......... 41 grains of H380 and 55 gr Nosler BT shoots like a dream in my Swift. My first swift, loved 4064 and 40 gr V-Max Moly at 4200 fps. Long story short, cooked that barrel. New gun, with the H380 load, is at 3800 fps, and is extremely accurate. The H380 meters well, and is very consistant. I clean well, and often. I have not noticed any accuracy problems, and after a thousand rounds or so, have not really noticed any throat erosion. I still love to just hear somebody say "I have a Swift" Kind of gives me goose bumps. An awesome round for many years. Bottom line, shoot what shoots well.

Originally Posted By: roode301Well I have 3 swifts for-sale now because I don't shoot them at max.The swift gods have spoken.The op asked about accuracy not speed.Second WHO ARE YOU to tell another man how to shoot his guns are you paying the bill.

First off, my load is not max for my rifle, as it shows no pressure signs. Nothing was said about running it at max. Simply that with the right combination of components it is possible to achieve both accuracy and speed in one load. Secondly I was only stating my opinion about loading a Swift to 22-250 speed, as being pointless. Nothing was stated about what every swift owner should do. If you have a problem with my opinion then simply put it is fact that you alone have a problem. Maybe others share your problem, but in no way does that bother my opinion.

Thirdly, if you have not tried IMR 4007 SSC in a 220 Swift then you have no room to dispute any of CatShooter's, Smokeless's, or my statements. As we have all done our homework with this combination and have found a very ideal powder for the 220 Swift. Yes, I developed loads right up to my rifle's maximum, but found my best compromise between accuracy and speed. As it is my loads are 2.5 gr below my max and am getting 3940fps with no pressure signs pushing a 55gr v-max. If that's too much for your taste then so be it.

003.jpg

That's four shots @ 100yds, the 5th is a flier that's under the calipers. I know that isn't the proper way to measure group spread, but only to illustrate what it is. Plus the only reason I didn't post my exact load is due to it being in excess of published maximum loads, along with the fact that each individual should develop thier own loads due to varying conditions.

Originally Posted By: iayoteWhats your favorite 220 swift accuracy load???? Lets hear em! Please list model of gun too.....

Now that we have a list of all the fastest with the best new powders and no one knows anything because they don't drive their Corvettes fast, can we get back to the OP's question?

70 gr Burger VLD's w/42gr IMR 4831
Back in the winter of 2010 I ordered a 26" heavy bull barrel with 6 flutes 1 in 9" twist from Hart out of Lafayette, NY. I had my smith fit it to a FN SPR action (model 70 Winchester) then chambered it in 220 Ackley Imp. along with bedding it to a McMillan stock and topped it off with a mighty fine weaver scope. After breaking it in this rifle shoots nickel size groups @250 yards. Dropped prairie dogs at 740 yards( longest shot of the week) last spring wile in South Dakota. I load 70 grain Burger VLD's in Hornady case with Federal Gold Match primers along with 42 grains of IMR 4831. This spring I had my wife at the range and had the rifle in the rest on the bench. She took 2 shots and hit the 1" low of center with the first shot. Then she took a second shot and thought she missed. After riding up to the target it was confirmed that she gosh near put both shots in the same hole, poor gal liked to poopered herself. She is a good shot but I think the gun is a real good shooter. The smith is "Ken Darr Gunsmithing" Front Royal , Va.

Last edited:

As I wrote I have been loading the 220 Swift for 51 years. The best powder I have found is IMR3031. So work up a load that you can shoot them all in the same hole.

I just wanted to mention that I'm buying a Swift and the reason is cause it's fast. I fully intend to exploit that with my loads!
grin.gif

Last edited:
Too many Corvette owners talkin in this post. Two guys I know here at home using IMR4007SSC, having excellent results with it. Pay attention to some of the people using these loads, like was said before, they have done their homework.

Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24I just wanted to mention that I'm buying a Swift and the reason is cause it's fast. I fully intend to exploit that with my loads!
grin.gif

Bravo! I've been loading cartridges for 36 years now. One thing I've learned is that accuracy seems to come at or near max loads.

I'm not a person that downloads cartridges either. I bought them for a reason, if they can't do what they were intended to do I'll buy something else.

To those that download more power to you.

I use 44.0 of H414 for 3950 (chronographed) out of my No.1V. Most accurate powder I've tested. That's using a 55gr v-max. Coyotes are DRT at all ranges.

Back