22 Nosler take two

I assembled a 22 nosler some months ago and couldn't seem to get it to group anything, factory ammo, reloads, nothing! Barrel is a proof research carbon fiber and that's where I invested most of the funds. Have done other builds with basic upper, handguard, bolt. This one had all kinds of issues. Switched out basically everything. Went to Aero Precision enhanced upper and handguard along with a Lantac Enhanced bcg. Also switched buffer and spring to JP silent capture. Now everything runs like a top with a suppressor and it shoots multiple factory loads 1/2 MOA or better! Don't know what did it, but I'm just glad it's finally results I think anyone would be happy with. Have had 3 different shooters produce similar results as pictured. I'm pretty happy.

Attachments

• 20240424_192101.jpg
    20240424_192101.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240424_192056.jpg
    20240424_192056.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 12
Looks like your getting somewhere! If only Nosler had the money to advertise, for a dedicated varmint round in 22cal from an AR the 22Nosler is a great option.

It really is great. Most things I have hunted in the past with this cartridge are usually DRT. It's pretty impressive once you can get the gun shooting well. Have to really turn the gas down and change the buffer/sping to accommodate in my experience.

Glad you got it figured/worked out. The custom 243 AR 10 I built last year was giving me trouble until I figured out to turn down the gas and use an extra heavy buffer and buffer spring.

Always thought a 22 Nosler or the 20 Nosler they talked about doing but never really have completed would be a great little AR15 build. Even necking one up to 24 cal and shooting the lighter bullets would probably make for a nice light-ish AR15 build and be a coyote killin SOB. What's the brass quality like in the 22 Nosler?

They have same or maybe slightly more case capacity then the Grendel or Hornady ARC case but run on a standard size small bolt face so it should mostly just be a barrel swap on about any AR15.

Personally, I think the 224 Valkyrie is the better option. Rebated rims can cause feed issues. Sure, its a different bolt face, but all you have to do is change the bolt head in your existing carrier group.

I have an ARC which i like even better.

Personally, I think the 224 Valkyrie is the better option. Rebated rims can cause feed issues. Sure, its a different bolt face, but all you have to do is change the bolt head in your existing carrier group.

I have an ARC which i like even better.
The 224V and ARC are great if you want to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets. They both have long throats and fast twist rifling, that combination is definitely not optimal for short, light varmint bullets. The 22Nos was specifically designed for fast, lightweight varmint bullets. I'm not a fan of the rebated rim but it does hold tons more pressure than the Grendel/ARC bolt that is notorious for breaking when ran hard.

The 224V and ARC are great if you want to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets. They both have long throats and fast twist rifling, that combination is definitely not optimal for short, light varmint bullets.
They only have long throats and fast twist if you order them that way. A good smith can make it anything you want.

They only have long throats and fast twist if you order them that way. A good smith can make it anything you want.

I agree a gunsmith can make whatever, that's what they do and if your doing custom builds where you select twist rate, freebore, lead angle, ect. there's tons of way better options than the ARC or 224V!

Dudes get caught up in marketing hype not really knowing what the best factory/saami rifles to choose for a coyote gun is so they go with what's being promoted everywhere.

There's a reason the 243, 22-250 and 223 are alive and well and aren't going anywhere soon...

Kino said a mouthful with the comment on 243, 22-250, and 223.
Do we really need any others except for maybe a 12guage?

Last edited:
I have had no brass issues. I did before, but a competent gun builder suggested that it was due to being overgassed and he was right. Turned gas way down and changed buffer/spring and no issues now. All ejected brass lands in a nice pile between 3 and 4 o clock.

JP silent capture spring, ultradyne adjustable gas block turned maybe 3 clicks out from closed, and a lantac enhanced bcg changed everything for me.

We've not had any brass issues either other than occasional swipes. I load 33 grains cfe223 with 55 Nosler bts in rifle plus 2 and rifle gas barrels.

Last edited:
Why not a 22x68 or 22 Grendel? I guess if you’re limited to factory ammo. But then I think I’d just stick to 22-250, granted large frame ar. I think the 22 Grendel is pretty overlooked.

Love me some 22 nosler. I run 55 vmax out of mine for coyotes and have recently worked up a load for some 73gr eld have yet to shoot anything with as of now. I ran some 75gr Speer gold dots out of it for pigs. Those 75’s were a very wicked pig bullet shot an axis deer with them too. My last batch of dogtown brass had two rounds in the bag that were not rebated. I always thought that round would have taken off if they didn’t rebate the rim and there were more options for reasonably priced brass.

Velocities ?
Right at 3500 fps in 22". Might be just under. Haven't hunted, loaded and or shot it in a while. It worked so great we had to try a doz other cartridges.....🤪.
I need to get the Labradar at and check some stuff. My rifle plus 2 had some feed issues but my buddies rifle gas ran pretty flawless. I don't recall any issues with my bhw rifle plus 2 or Wilson combat rifle length. I need to get em out and do some testing. After we got the 6 hagars together it became hard to pick up anything else.

Back