22 mag

Quote:
well i wanted to try to keep the fur for a mount so want to have very little damage

Try full metal jacket rounds in a 223.

Quote:
Quote:
well i wanted to try to keep the fur for a mount so want to have very little damage

Try full metal jacket rounds in a 223.

223 Full metal jacketed rounds are not good for hunting. Over penetration and richochet are just two of the problems associated with using them. Having game run off after being shot is another problem. MI VHNTR

Something else to think about is a 22 hornet great little round and you can reload ifnyaonto ( if you want to ) I know it was not in the original question but I like um real well

Last edited:
If you reload you might look into the .36gr Barnes Varmint Grenades.My uncle has shot a few coyotes with them out of his 22-250 and they were fur friendly as well.They didnt penetrate very well on the yotes but they would probably do alot better on the bobcats.
If your going to get a bobcat mounted I wouldnt worry about tearing it up to bad just as long as you dont blow it in half or blow its head competely off or anything.If theres just a decent sized hole in it the taxidermist should be able to fix it up to where you wouldnt even be able to tell anything ever even happened to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

get the 22 mag . It will carry more downrange energy and leave a larger wound channel. Ammo is also cheaper. If you reload a 22 hornet is good and can be reloaded down to be about the same as 22mag.

I use my .17HMR w/ 20gr for Woodchucks other small vermin. The .22 mag w/ standard 40gr maxi mags works great on coyotes, but the eye or ear are my points, under 100 yards. I have shot a couple broadside, behind the leg. I like a quartering away shot. Lung and heart are mush. I've used the 30..33gr ballistic tips. Not as accurate in my book. I shoot a Browning A-bolt .22WMR, it is a tack driver. I am in Rimfire only country also.

Back