22 Mag round for coyotes

AWS

Retired PM Staff
Now that I'm the proud owner of a CZ-455 Varmint in 22mag topped with a Burris 1.5x6x40mm scope. I need a little direction on picking a round for coyotes. I know every rifle is a little different in their preference to accuracy but what are a couple of good coyote rounds that I can test for accuracy.

I haven't shot a 22 Mag since the 1960's when I used a Colt Single Six in 22 Mag to kill monkeys in the orange groves of Taiwan. I can't even remember what I used back them but seem to recall Winchester soft-points.

Thanks

AWS

I have tried every round made for the .22mag and always end up back to the Winchester 40gr HP. Not just for the accuracy but have had a lot of groundhogs get back to the hole but none with the Winchester round.

Last edited:
Great gun!! Love that you can switch barrels on the 455s and 457s. My 455 is a standard barrel and LOVES 30gr Hornady Vmaxs. But probably not coyote worthy since they dont pass through prairie dogs.

Winchesters dont shoot well in my rifle but may in yours. CcI maximags didnt shoot well either but I think it's your best bullet for Coyotes..
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2018/4/17/top-6-22-wmr-hunting-loads/

Originally Posted By: vahunterI have tried every round made for the .22mag and always end up back to the Winchester 40gr HP. Not just for the accuracy but have had a lot of groundhogs get back to the hole but none with the Winchester round.

Best of the best. I shot 55 in one Summer, Winchester 40g HP.

Sight in at 100 yards.

For your own scope, figure out the sight picture for a 150 yard shot.

You will aim at the top of their back, or base of skull.

I use an old Leupold 4-12x vari X II on mine. Most of my shots were between 35-85 yards, but killed solid out to 125. I shot two rifles a lot

Ruger all weather stainless

Marlin tube feed

Both rifles kept clean will shoot 1-1.25" at 100(sometimes smaller).

Be aware that plated bullets will fill your barrel full of copper quickly. I had coyotes hit good run off with some of the other bullets.

I've always had really good luck with 45 grain Winchester Hollowpoints on larger critters. But they've gotten harder to find at local stores so I switched to 40 grain Winchester HP's. They're accurate and hit hard enough to kill larger animals.

I used to use my Heckler & Koch model 300 22 mag for close in calling years ago and only used Winchester 40 gr HP's. Never lost a coyote.

Originally Posted By: WyoBullI used to use my Heckler & Koch model 300 22 mag for close in calling years ago and only used Winchester 40 gr HP's. Never lost a coyote.

I think the "close in" part is going to be every bit as important as the bullet/ammo used.

Originally Posted By: cmatera50 gr Federal Gameshock

Years ago, Federal had a 50g, but twist in my ruger must have been too slow for this bullet.

Todays design maybe different.

Originally Posted By: AcroninGreat gun!! Love that you can switch barrels on the 455s and 457s. My 455 is a standard barrel and LOVES 30gr Hornady Vmaxs. But probably not coyote worthy since they dont pass through prairie dogs.

Winchesters dont shoot well in my rifle but may in yours. CcI maximags didnt shoot well either but I think it's your best bullet for Coyotes..

Had thought the 455's were the only rifles partial to the
Hornady 30gr Vmax's. But I see similar results with a Henry
lever action in the mentioned article. Could it be that a truly
jacketed (not just metal coated or plated) bullet takes on
the rifling better than lead? Jacketed bullets could be the
reason HMR's are so accurate as well.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: AcroninGreat gun!! Love that you can switch barrels on the 455s and 457s. My 455 is a standard barrel and LOVES 30gr Hornady Vmaxs. But probably not coyote worthy since they dont pass through prairie dogs.

Had thought the 455's were the only rifles partial to the
Hornady 30gr Vmax's. But I see similar results with a Henry
lever action in the mentioned article. Could it be that a truly
jacketed (not just metal coated or plated) bullet takes on
the rifling better than lead? Jacketed bullets could be the
reason HMR's are so accurate as well.

That really could be. I guess I never thought of it. I have a buddy who has a ruger 77/22WRM and it prefers the 30gr Vmaxs as well.

My go-to has been the Fed 50 gr HP since I discovered them in the late 90's. Prior to that the Winchester 40 gr HP was my go to. I still use Winchesters sometimes because i have regularly have had problems getting the Federal.

Currently i have the following 22mag rifles:

BRNO ZKM 611 auto
CZ452 Varmint
RUGER American Predator

There are some other good points of discussion in your post. First i think your scope choice is a very good selection for hunting coyotes at close range. Being able to drop down to 1.5 power gives a large field of view and will allow you to pick him up fast if he is charging in on your call.

Last edited:
Always relied on the 40 grain Winchester super X for accuracy and power, but now that we have to use Non Lead I'm using the CCI TNT green 30 grain .22 mag. It's accurate in my rifle, but with only 280 ftlbs at the muzzle, I wonder if it has enough wallop to down a dog at 50yds or better.

Not the best rnd for coyote! but it has worked for me in the past. If im using it to call now, I use it as a brush gun where shots can be no further than 75 yrds. For close in calling I always take the CZ512 with 40gr hand loaded cartridges. In the past ive used 40gr factory ammo & always liked the FMJ personally. It takes good shot placement with fmj's! But lets face it, you dont get alot of expansion with the hollow points either. BTW, CCI 35gr gamepoints are excellent medicine for fox!

Looks like I have to order a couple boxes of Winchesters 40gr. Like I said this is for while I'm hunting rabbits. As you wander through the country chasing small game there are times you walk into a spot that just screams "Call Here". I have drillings and combo guns for bird hunting and I'm not above swatting a bunny with the shotgun but putting bunnies in the pot with a rifle is just fun.

I carry either a hand call or a small e-call (Minaska M-1 Bandit) in my game bag depending how serious I am about harvesting a coyote. I do have a plethora of coyote guns from 218 Bee to 22-250 so the 22 Mag is just for those spots that call to me while chasing bunnies..

One of my favorite meals is stewed rabbit with dumplings and sweet/sour red cabbage. Rabbit chili is great too. I can't see why rabbit tacos/burritos wouldn't be out standing

Jackrabbit or cottontail cooked:

Old style pressure cooker, cut up rabbit

Cut an onion into quarters and throw in the pot

Smash a clove of garlic and throw in the pot

Build up steam for 7 minutes, let cool

Rabbit will be falling off the bone when you pull it from the cooker.

Eat with a fork right on the spot, season to taste

Pull the meat apart with a fork for taco's, or Fry and make gravy.

Grey and fox squirrels work with this recipe as well.

I ran into an old Indian Woman that begged me for some young rock chucks to fry up.

I'll second the CCI gamepoint. My kids shot my remington 597 for years with this built and it worked great. Keep your shots under 100 yards and put it where your supposed to and you'll do fine.

Back