22 Mag on a AR platform?

Rusty Black

Anybody heard any new on someone making a 22 mag on a AR platform yet...im very interested in getting one and i did email nordic cause ,i know their in the works...I'd love to have one..Rusty
thumbup1.gif

I think someone is making one for teh 17wsm. That would be even better. Ammo is certainly more available and about the same price or less. 12.99 per 50 at cabelas right now.

Yeah but will the 17 WSM have as much punch as the 22 mag...I know the speed is faster,,but what about the ft lbs...if its going to have more energy,i'll go with the 17WS

Originally Posted By: Rusty BlackYeah but will the 17 WSM have as much punch as the 22 mag...I know the speed is faster,,but what about the ft lbs...if its going to have more energy,i'll go with the 17WS

At 100 yards the 20 grain 17wsm is almost double a 22mag 40 grain maxi mag bullet. It's 280 foot pounds to 158 foot pounds. So the 17wsm blows the 22 mag bullet away. Plus gives you longer range. And the ammo is easy to find right now too. But getting an accurate rifle is always key.

Originally Posted By: Rusty BlackYeah but will the 17 WSM have as much punch as the 22 mag...I know the speed is faster,,but what about the ft lbs...if its going to have more energy,i'll go with the 17WS

The .17WSM (not to be confused with 17HMR) is a much more powerful cartridge than the 22WMR. The WSM is a necked down 25cal power-fastener case, longer and larger diameter than the 22WMR, yielding about 50% more muzzle energy than the 22WMR.

I'd be interested to see a 17WSM AR in person. For the volume of shooting a guy could do and for the hurdles to get a rimfire AR running right, I'd probably rather have a 17Rem conventional AR upper, but for rimfire only areas, the 17WSM would make a dandy rifle (I do have a 17WSM in a remodeled Savage Bmag that shoots sub-MOA and keeps me very happy).

Franklin Armory has a complete rifle and an upper in .17WSM . Read some good reviews on them. Some quirks matching lowers to the upper . Certain types and models do and don't work but they can guide you to the correct combinations.

Originally Posted By: spiderman Franklin Armory has a complete rifle and an upper in .17WSM . Read some good reviews on them. Some quirks matching lowers to the upper . Certain types and models do and don't work but they can guide you to the correct combinations.

^^^ Almost $1600 for the rifle! That's crazy.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe .17WSM (not to be confused with 17HMR) is a much more powerful cartridge than the 22WMR. The WSM is a necked down 25cal power-fastener case, longer and larger diameter than the 22WMR, yielding about 50% more muzzle energy than the 22WMR.

I was not aware of the parent info of the 17WSM. I also like this round and am thinking about options for my B-Mag.
thumbup.gif

The Franklin Armory upper is closer to $1k and is a blast to shoot:

post-2-0-68587500-1444433718.jpg

-----
Originally Posted By: VarminterrorThe WSM is a necked down 25cal power-fastener case, longer and larger diameter than the 22WMR, yielding about 50% more muzzle energy than the 22WMR.

Just a slight correction, the 17WSM is based on a .27 caliber nail gun case.

Eric
cool.gif

Back