.22 Hornet

My longer range rabbit shooter is a hornet, 12 inch T/C contender to be more precise.

The hornet does a great job on head shots.

I tried it several times for small game and it wasn't a pretty sight. Punched a squirrel through the ribs at 50 yards to see what it would do. Everything from the neck to that little "O" ring under the tail on the off side was gone. Maybe a reduced load with a heavy bullet might work but I never tried it.

With full loads, head shots are a must.

I prefer head shots when I can get them. Up here, I pop them with my Ruger slab sided .22 target and ocassionally get one with a bow when hunting rabbits. Grouse are harder with a bow and squirrels are out completely when bow hunting. I'm just looking for a new toy for hunting, but don't want to make a major mistake.

For some reason I would love to buy a hornet, but I really don't need one.
laugh.gif
I guess I just like some of the old classics.
I use a 17 HMR & head shots. Have you looked into one of them?

The Hornet was made for down loading I shoot SR4759 and 40 or 45gr bullets at 2,000 fps. perfect for small game IMR4198 works good too. Or you can go the cast bullet way 40gr. bullets at 1,500fps. sounds good to me. ~marco

i reload for all my guns,i just havent tried with the hornet,the brass is so thin i wonder how many shots i would get outta them.
what size group ya get downloading marco???

You could load those hornets forever with those two down loads I thik pressure is under 20,000 psi. And Im getting 1/2" to 3/4" at 50yds. just right for small game. Now if you go to H110 at max load and your looking at over 40,000psi and case life goes down hill after that but load the hornet with accuracy first you will get good case life. I load the 45gr.SP at 2,500fps. pressure is down around mid range with H110 and case life is very good. ~Marco

Try Lil-Gun powder. Pressure is real low and it's easy on brass. I have brass I'm loading right now for the 9th time.

I'm using Hornady 35 gr V-Max's and Sierra 40 gr. hp's with Lil-Gun powder and CCI small pistol primers. Work up your load 1/10 th of a grain at a time till you find the sweet spot.

These loads have worked good in my and my 2 sons Ruger 77-22 Hornets.

Yeah as said you can download to .22 mag velocity with the hornet. The .222 can also be downloaded.

The 17hmr or 22mag are also good if you dont' want to bother with reloading.

You have to check out the 17hm2. Same trajectory to 100 yards as 17hmr. Less destructive on edible game. Cost half as much to shoot sometimes if your lucky you can even get 50 rounds for 3 or 4 bucks. Usualy just as accurate as the HMR.

Originally Posted By: pelletgunmasterI have an old .22 Hornet without the magazine. Where can I look to buy an old magaizine for this gun?

What make and model Hornet do you have?

I am currently experimenting with 50gr soft point Midway Dogtown bullets and Lil-Gun. I was interested in developing a heavier bullet load for yotes but after reading this I will try a shot on a squarrel and give you a report . I have shot hundreds with 22mag hollow points and a body shot blows them almost in two so I try to use soilds when I can get them.Maybe the jacket on the 50gr bullet will be strong enough to just pass through .I have loaded 40gr Ballistic tips for years and they are explosive .All of my loads are near max and brass lasts about 5 loadings . I only neck size with a Lee Collet sizer .

Originally Posted By: BrianmidwestFor some reason I would love to buy a hornet, but I really don't need one.
laugh.gif

Don't ever factor NEED into gun purchases, it does not compute!

Back