.22 Hornet or .222 rem, for coyotes?

I have to defend my little hornet on this one. My calling partner carries the .222 and does very well well with it. I carried my hornet last year and did equally well. I know my abilities as well as my limitations with the hornet, and have never lost anything I have pulled the trigger on...including dogs of various varieties and ranges, as well as controlling the groundhog pupulation out to a couple hundred yards. (Admittedly, this sounds like inexperience or bragging....it is niether.) I prefer the Hornet for the shots off the back deck because the wife doesn't hear it when she has the air conditioner running in the bedroom (most of the time.) The .222 definitely has more downrange oomph, but the hornet will get the job done as well inside a couple hundred yards--and more quietly.

Niether has a whole lot of factory ammo selections--see above post re: .223 vs. 224 bullet diameter.

Maybe you should buy both and decide which one you like better....then you have an excuse for another set of dies...and more range time. :)

WNYS

I had never even shot a 22 hornet until last year. We hunted with a couple guys that were die hard hornet shooters. Of course they only hunt in Grey Fox and Bobcat country so we didnt see any first hand results on Coyotes. We took a 30 pound Bobcat at over 100 yards and he didnt run a step. For shots under 150 I would say they will do the job as long as your shot placement is good. I dont have any bad feedback to report after our 3 day experience with the hornet. Of course a 223 or above will be a more all around rifle and you can take longer shots, not limiting your range.

Take care,

Todd

I do love all the calibers that everyone mentioned to your question. They all do a fine job. My newest addition to my collection, and it is sweet, is the .204 ruger. It's based on the .222 rem mag. They moved the shoulder forward a little and increased the volume inside the case. I buy .222 rem mag casings and send them through the dies. Check it out and good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back