.22 hornet or .204 ruger ?

Shotgunner6264

Which is better a .22 hornet or .204 ruger. Im not looking to spent alot of money. i just need somthing to wholop a coyote and it doesnt need to reach super far. Any other suggestions or tips would also come in handy.

If you reload either will work, take your choice. The 204 is much more powerful from comparing only these two. If you dont reload, look at ammo availability,that would be My suggestion. Not everywhere you shop will have either caliber, so although the .223 wasnt on the list, its very popular and ammo is plentiful almost anywhere. Decide on what you want the rifle to do, and then make your choice. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsIf your looking for inexpensive coyote medicine, you need look no further than a 223. But of the 2 I would choose 204

JMHO

This! .223 ammo is much cheaper and more readily available than Hornet or .204. Also there are many more rifles out there for .223, especially in the lower price range.

Originally Posted By: lhitchcoxOriginally Posted By: bigsky_songdogsIf your looking for inexpensive coyote medicine, you need look no further than a 223. But of the 2 I would choose 204

JMHO

This! .223 ammo is much cheaper and more readily available than Hornet or .204. Also there are many more rifles out there for .223, especially in the lower price range.

Yeah, but he wasn't asking about the .223, just the Hornet and the .204 Ruger.

But it would be hard for me to leave my .223 at home and take my .204 over it anywhere. Same as a .22 Hornet if I had one.

You can get 50 rounds of 204 ammo for 24.99$ at the right place. its the honady vmax packs. ive never had aproblem finding ammo and its as cheap as a 223 with better ballistics.

Originally Posted By: jake mottayawYou can get 50 rounds of 204 ammo for 24.99$ at the right place. its the honady vmax packs. ive never had aproblem finding ammo and its as cheap as a 223 with better ballistics.

How far out have you killed something with the 204 and honady vmax,s?

ive killed 3 the past month or so and they were only around 150. here in ohio its not as open, you can get farther shots but setups are fairly close. A buddy of mine owns a farm and has killed them as rar as 300. Im happy with it. Shot one last night and it was dead before it hit the ground.

Ballistically, as you know, they are not even close. All they share is the .224 bullet. They are both good, but for different reasons.

I've killed a lot of coyotes with my Hornet, but my 222mag or 243 go coyote hunting more than the Hornet. I use the Hornet in situations where I expect close shots. If I hunt an area that gives me longer shots (which is most of the places I hunt), the Hornet stays home.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Ballistically, as you know, they are not even close. All they share is the .224 bullet.

No they don't.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet. They are both good, but for different reasons.

HA!!
One of those "different" reasons being the caliber perhaps?
lol.gif

I would say go with the .204 just because it has a little more range than the Hornet. And before I get yelled at for saying that, what I mean is the bullet shoots flatter and gives a little more predictable flight and you have a better selection of bullets with the .204 IMO.

The Hornet is my wife's favorite rifle to shoot because of the very very light recoil, low muzzle blast, and she generally only shoots within 100 yards. But when we set up soda cans at 300+ yards, she always wants the .204.

Obviously the .204 has very little recoil to begin with, but my wife seems to think it makes a difference shooting the Hornet the rest of the time.

Another plus to the .204 is brass. Locally we seem to get Hornet brass for a few months, then it disappears, then it comes back a few months later.... and the .204 brass is always available when I need it

Originally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: K-22hornet.Ballistically, as you know, they are not even close. All they share is the .224 bullet.

No they don't.
wink.gif

All the newer models(of hornet) use a 224 caliber bullet.

Go with the 204Ruger!

Back