22 Hornet - 35VMax or 40VMax - Lil Gun

So the Hornet cartridge in general isnt really known for being a bug-holer? But seems like it’d be alright for a 150-200 yard max gun?
There are many different rifles chambered for the 22 hornet and 22k hornet. So results will vary not to mention all all the other variables; such as in handloading.

I have a TC encore with a mgn custom barrel. It took a bit of fiddling but does shoot bugholes. It's also good to 250 -300 on milk jugs. Depending on rifle and time avalible it is possible to meet most expectations. Imo

I have 3 Hornets. The best load I have found is 13gr Lil' Gun, Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip, CCI BR4 Primers. You can cover 4 shots with a dime at 100 yds. YOU MUST CRIMP THE BULLET IN! This because the brass is so thin it will not hold the bullet consistently. I use the Lee Collet Factory Crimp.die.

I loaded some 35 gr Hornady V Max. 1st coyote I knocked down at 100yds. He got up doing a dance in a circle le biting at his shoulder. Before I could get another in him, he got into the bushes. A couple hours later, I shot another in the chest. And he dropped like a sack of feed. When I looked back he was up and leaving. Knocked him down again. Next thing I know, he is up again, and I shot him again. When I got to him, I had to shot him in the head. 4 shots at 40 yds. The 35 gr V Max is not going on another coyote hunt.

I loaded

Hornets are terrible simply by the case design. While headspacing off the rim isn't necessarily a bad thing, the lack of any appreciable shoulder doesn't help with overall cartridge alignment. And take into consideration that the brass is so thin it's hard to seat the bullet anywhere near perfectly aligned with the case.

I'm not a Hornet fan, nor against them. I own one and I am going to spend some time trying to get it to shoot MOA if I can. Itty-bitty groups aren't in the cards and I know that. And reaming to a K isn't on the table as of yet. The rifle will see use as a close range (inside 150 yards) predator/varmint gun on our property so anything near minute-of-groundhog is acceptable for my use. And if it doesn't play out, I do have a T-Bolt 22WMR that is well under MOA if I decide to let the little Ruger go to another home.

And yeah ....... I'm probably a glutton for punishment ........ :LOL:
You MUST crimp.the bullet in, if you want consistently accurate loads. The brass is so thin, it will not hold the bullet tight enough to get a consistent jump out of the brass. Unless you want to shoot single shot, forget seating the bullet just off the lands, because it won't fit in the magazine afterwards. I have loaded 13 grs Lil' Gun behind 40 gr Ballistic Tips, 40 gr V Max and 35 gr V Max. All shoot sub MOA. I would load more, but 13 grs fills the case level full. I get an average of 2986 fps. I use the Hornet in areas of lots of cows, horses and houses. Best group is with Nosler Ballistic Tips.i like boat tails because they seat easier with.less ruined cases. I use the Lee Factory Collet CRIMP die. On the Ballistic Tip, I am actually crimping on the base of the ogive of the Spitzer. Try it. It works! Let me know how it worked for you.

When I was shooting a hornet, mine was a Sav 219 single shot, no problem with seating depth. Also never had a problem with thin necks at the suggestion of a local gun smith that was a avid 22H fan I would use a 218 Bee sizing die to decap and it would just size enough of the neck to hold bullets. À large size spitzer bullet to expand the case mouth ever so slightly allowed seating FB bullets and a Lee FCD to take the flare out. No problem getting sub MOA groups.

When I was shooting a hornet, mine was a Sav 219 single shot, no problem with seating depth. Also never had a problem with thin necks at the suggestion of a local gun smith that was a avid 22H fan I would use a 218 Bee sizing die to decap and it would just size enough of the neck to hold bullets. À large size spitzer bullet to expand the case mouth ever so slightly allowed seating FB bullets and a Lee FCD to take the flare out. No problem getting sub MOA groups.
The 218 Bee uses thecsame diameter bullet as the Hornet. .224.

Mind you I was load testing for groups, not shooting at the bull. After I got these groups, I loaded that load and sighted it in.to get this group, I used the Lee Factory Crimp Collet Die. Without crimping it was a 1 1/2" group.

Attachments

• 0715111800a.jpg
    0715111800a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 10
Nothing could be further from the truth NO CRIMP NECESSARY EVER
All I can tell you is my loads without crimps didn't group. A fella explained to me that the Hornet brass was so thin that it wouldn't hold the bullet consistently to build pressure before the bullet jump. I crimped and now I can cover 4 shots with a dime. This is the only cartridge that a crimp improved the group. I will say that when talking to a tech with a die company a week ago, told me that on other cartridges if you want to keep a load grouping right, after crimping, that you had to reduce the powder charge. We were talking about other standard cartridges such as 308, 30-06, 7mm, etc. I don't know because I have not tried that.

No not calling anyone a liar. There is other ways to increase neck tension. Crimping is medieval. If you are using brass with thing necks throw it away and buy a better grade of brass. I've loaded more hornet ammo than most people out there. For someone to say crimping is a must it makes me laugh.

I now have 4 Hornets. I've loaded a lot for it. I use Winchester brass. All the brass I have seen is thin. Similar to the 32-20. I guess you could go to the trouble of reducing the size of the expander ball or getting a custom made sizer die, but why do all that when a simple factory collet crimp die solves the problem. I load 40 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. And when you seat it deep enough to fit in the magazine, the beginning of the ogive is in the case mouth. Same thing with other ballistically superior modern bullets. A crimp.does it. So, tell me the other ways to increase neck tension that doesn't over work the brass. Show me your 100 yd groups and the velocity measured 10 ft part the end if the barrel. Mine average 2986 fps. And be honest

If you reduce the neck expander ball, you run the risk of being off center, and to do it right, you need a custom made die that is equally smaller. This is going to overwork the neck and require continual annealing. Either way you shorten the life of the already thin brass.

Switch to Rem brass. Buy an expander die choose your neck tension. Problem solved. Crimping over works the brass unless you are annealing. So crimping is not a must it is just a way you choose to do it. I'll dig my targets out and post them.

I don't crimp, and get good accuracy without it.

A theory I read about the Hornet and small rifle primers vs. small pistol primers was, the srp has more fire in it, and upon primer ignition, the powder charge and bullet are pushed forward slighty, then stops, then the powder burn catches up, so the bullet does a start-stop-start. Using a spp, that start-stop-start is either reduced or eliminated, which leads to better accuracy.

Crimping should also prevent the start-stop-start sequence, causing more consistency of bullet release from the case.

I don't Crimp and get fairly good accuracy. Always trying to improve tho. So I might try crimping just to see what works. I'm sure everyone is getting the results they describe.

Here are 2 of my crimped loads. I only crimp on the Hornet, and I only use the Lee Factory Crimp Collet Die. I tried crimping with RCBS and did not get the results I wanted. I use CCI BR Primers. 13 gr Lil' Gun regardless of the bullet.

Attachments

• 20240411_223549.jpg
    20240411_223549.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 13
Switch to Rem brass. Buy an expander die choose your neck tension. Problem solved. Crimping over works the brass unless you are annealing. So crimping is not a must it is just a way you choose to do it. I'll dig my targets out and post them.
Rem brass is too soft. I have expander dies. No reason to pay for custom dies. An undersized expander die overworks the neck. I anneal when needed and have no problem with over worked brass. By annealing we would get up to 25 loads in a .223 bolt gun in NRA High Power. 12-15 with a gas gun. Unless we were using the M1 or M14. With these rifles. We started getting case head separation at 6 loads, but never split necks.

Back