22 grendel or 22bgw load

andrew7

If you haven't heard of it a 22 grendel is a necked down 6.5 grendel, the 22 bgw is just the reamer that Bart at Baldwin gun works uses. Yes it sounds like a little work, but think about running lite weight bullets up to heavy like 88 or heavier grain bullets where they should sit and fit in mag length and run from an ar 15 platform.

I have been using this for a predator gun especially at night for the past year, I have been running the 69 grn tmk at 3175 to 3200 fps and it does a number on dogs, but doesn't tear the pelts up. Well this winter I decided to try some 64 grain tgk bullets as well as play with powder options as the cfe 223 is nasty dirty stuff. So I have played with some xbr as well as lever revolution cause I could find it and looking on the powder burn chart it is slightly faster than cfe 223. 1st trip out with some 64 grain tgk on the l.r. I shot the the 1st group, then after seeing velocity I thought I may want to back that off and save some brass life a little, but it was .25" easy from an ar15 mind you. Today I went out with 3 different charges of l.r. and then 3 groups with different seating depth, went to the range before having to go to the V.A. and shot these other 2 .25" groups prone squeeze bag bipod ar 15 platform 100 yards. Now this alone is impressive, but listen to the velocity and es.
1st group ave 3480fps at 10 es
2nd group so today 3440 ave 6 es
And group 3 also today was 3444ave es of 8fps
Yes I have pressure on the brass with ejector marks, but primer is fine, #'s look great as well as the groups, so needles to say I am looking for hornady 6.5 grendal brass new or 1x fired as well as 64 grain tgk from Sierra.

I am not sure how to load the pics, if someone is willing to post for me I will text them to you 509 879 6150

It is a good round that Ritch designed for BHW as the 22 LBC. I've had one on the shelf for several years with no work. I drug it out last year and holey bejesus the thing shoots like nothing I've ever seen. I shot 27 groups using 55 to 77 grains and all were under an inch with the 69's 77's shooting down in the 2's and 3's.. Big Game and CFE were the Golden Ticket for me.

Keep us posted as it goes. Send the pics to 623-640-8717.

Greg

Last edited:
I loaded up 150 more rounds last night and will be knocking over some dogs this weekend. Hope to have some pics of that later.

This is the 2nd di set up I have ran and have a piston driven upper showing up today to see how accuracy and cleanliness is. Will have to see if it likes the old 69 grain load going 3150 or the new 64 grain load, but will have to break it in a bit.

Sent pics, thanks.

Posting these as a courtesy for Andrrew. The first two are all 64 TGK. I believ the 3rd is a 69 TMK and the last target is a combo 64 and 69 TGK. The bottom target is annotated so you can see the difference. All were shot with Leverution per his text to me.

IOa37yP.jpg

b6aERm8.jpg

HbBtdox.jpg

NsTOcrA.jpg

He will have to explain any specifics on these particularly if I have translated them wrong..LOL

Greg

Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing how this one comes along for Andrew. I looked back through my notes and found I never did write mine up. Perhaps if there were some interest I could post some up tomorrow in a different tread on my intial outing on my version.

One thing about it the more the merrier in helping each other out.

Greg

OK, I'm kinda behind the curve on anything ar, but is a Grendel a 223 brass opened up to 6.5?
Sooo, isnt a 22 grendel a 223?

Originally Posted By: jetmanOK, I'm kinda behind the curve on anything ar, but is a Grendel a 223 brass opened up to 6.5?

Grendel is more a ppc case.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterPosting these as a courtesy for Andrrew. The first two are all 64 TGK. I believ the 3rd is a 69 TMK and the last target is a combo 64 and 69 TGK. The bottom target is annotated so you can see the difference. All were shot with Leverution per his text to me.

IOa37yP.jpg

b6aERm8.jpg

HbBtdox.jpg

NsTOcrA.jpg

He will have to explain any specifics on these particularly if I have translated them wrong..LOL

Greg
The pic with the multiple groups show 2 groups with the 69 and all the rest were 64 grain loads, the lower level groups were all same charge just different oal's.

The top picture is the 1st group I shot with the 64 last weekend 3 shots 10 es at 3480fps, went home to reduce load as I was chewing the brass up with the ejector.

The next 2 pics are same charge weight just different oil's 3444 fps ave with es of 8 and 3440 es 6

Originally Posted By: jetmanOK, I'm kinda behind the curve on anything ar, but is a Grendel a 223 brass opened up to 6.5?
The 22 grendel is shorter, but fatter giving better seating and case capacity, the 223 longer and skinnier with less capacity. Grendel take a 6.5 grendel bolt that is high pressure, the 7.62x39 you can use as well for the brass just more work, the 7.62 bolt can work, but shouldn't be used. Obviously we all know the 223 bolt.

There are several people making bbls. I have one from Baldwin Gunworks that I am about to bed to my upper and start developing a load. 20"/7twist. Planning to run 69/77 tmks. I believe the OP's is also a Baldwin barrel.

Dies - mine are redding 6.5grendel full length type S bushing dies with appropriate bushings for .22

Last edited:
Ive been digging around trying to find prices, but looks like i will have to make some calls. I like the idea of this round if it feeders in a gasser

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75There are several people making bbls. I have one from Baldwin Gunworks that I am about to bed to my upper and start developing a load. 20"/7twist. Planning to run 69/77 tmks. I believe the OP's is also a Baldwin barrel.

Dies - mine are redding 6.5grendel full length type S bushing dies with appropriate bushings for .22

Yes all my barrels have been baldwin gun works, bart is easy to deal with and does a good job.
The current one I am running is a rock creek 1:8 twist at 23", the one I started out with was a 1:7 twist Wilson and then my new poston upper I got yesterday is also a 1:8 twist rock creek, but at 22" this time.

I also run the redding 6.5 grendel type s dies and I use 4 steps to get my brass down to minimize crushing the neck.

Yep, I do 4 steps or maybe even 5 to get my brass down to 22. I do the same with necking down lapua 6.5cm brass for my 22cm. I have found that a couole more steps seems to be easier on the brass and I haven't lost a piece to necking down since.

Smoking 250

These are all ar barrels we are talking about. They feed great and you just need grendel mags, I have been running as 10 and 15 round mags no issues.

Look up baldwin gun works on f.b. I havent looked online for him, but easy to talk to and will get back to you quickly.
Tell him Caleb sent you

Just for those interested here are the case capacities I'm getting out of all my rifles. and the case length. Thee 6.8 stuff is all with LBC is done with Lapua bras. While the 22X6.8 is slightly smaller it can be run at slightly higher pressures to make up for the difference. The NXS has the best of both worlds and runs a bit faster than all the rest. The 22 LBC/22 Grendel is slightly better for bullets above 87 grains although for me the 95 SMK is the big one for down range work at 500 yards. Running ASC mags you get the best flexibility for COL and if you do it ala Hagar competition mags you can window it and get way the heck out there.

CASE CAPACITY 223’s

223 WIN SX 31.26 1.760
22 VALKYRIE 32.10 1.600
22 NOSGAR 35.78 1.760
22 NOSLER 36.87 1.760
22X6.8 35.24 1.686
22-NXS 37.30 1.775
22 LBC 37.96 1.520

Greg

What are the real world results people are seeing out of this round?

Im seeing "results" all over board.

Id like to have a 69-75 gr bullet over 3000fps. Seems to be mostly im seeing 2800-3000 with that bullet range.

I would prefer to stick with 20in and under barrel as well.

I am missing my 7 twist 22-250 bolt gun running 75s at 3287 with zero preasure. I had such great luck with that gun, but i got bright idea to switch to gasser last year and have been chasing my tail since. Trying to find a fast & heavy 22 cal bullet that feeds reliably, has been something i havent found yet.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Smokin250 - You would love the 6DTI then.

If one is only going to shoot 70-80 grain bullets in an AR, the 6DTI is it (Yes the ARC's shorter case is better for heavies, but not for 70's). This is my first year with it and I absolutely LOVE IT. Mild load of 4895 and 70 grain NBT runs 3250 and hammers!

I hated gassers until I got this gem up and going. It's been a hammer on dogs this year from 500 yards to 50 yards. I have all the ballistics in my range finder, and I am so confident from 300 to 500. Anything closer is a done deal. I haven't had any opportunities further than 500. We do 99% calling, but there are pivots where we hunt and the dogs will not budge, so the DTI puts em down where they stand
thumbup.gif

The 22 Grendel is a cool round, but not for an AR coyote gun. Such a pain to make the brass, and could you imagine loosing brass....you will....even with a brass catcher. 6DTI is SO EASY to load and 6.8 brass is readily available.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin250What are the real world results people are seeing out of this round?

Im seeing "results" all over board.

Id like to have a 69-75 gr bullet over 3000fps. Seems to be mostly im seeing 2800-3000 with that bullet range.

I would prefer to stick with 20in and under barrel as well.

I am missing my 7 twist 22-250 bolt gun running 75s at 3287 with zero preasure. I had such great luck with that gun, but i got bright idea to switch to gasser last year and have been chasing my tail since. Trying to find a fast & heavy 22 cal bullet that feeds reliably, has been something i havent found yet.

Sorry to derail the thread.
Real world 69/70 grain is over what you want to do for speed. My 69 grain load at about 3150 is not as hot as I have ran it before. Guys are running 75 and 80 grain bullets at the speeds you are looking for.

Back