22 Creedmoor

Mike in Oregon

I'm seriously considering the 22CM for my long range bench setup for sage rats, PD's and rock chucks. I would like to hear from anyone shooting this cartridge. Give me the good, bad and ugly!

I have one and love it. I have shot a 14x14 plate at 1150 yards consistently with the load I recently developed. 77gr A-max and H-4831

Good, Bad and Ugly...all in one picture. (ok two pictures)

22creed.jpg

image.jpg

not much to ad cept one fine cartridge

Mine is a 28" MGM 1-7T on a Encore frame
shoot mainly 75+ gr's. and really like the 90 gr. A Tip
Alpha Munitions SRP brass and cci SRM primers
I also think? I use h1000sc but don't remember off the top of my head

Last edited:
Barrel life + more powder + expensive bullets + expensive brass = $$

6BR is my go to rifle for everything you mentioned. Also gives less recoil. I'm older now and do not enjoy a high recoiling rifle.

Barrel life definitely won't be very long, pretty counterintuitive to long days in a prairie dog town. My first choice would be a 6br or 22br if your still looking for options.

Are you using 70-80 grain bullets in the 22-250/swift?
You have a point, but I don’t shoot slow heavy for caliber Boolits unless I’m deer hunting. The heavy for caliber projectiles looses all its luster “to me“ because it won’t shoot flat like a 40/50 grain offering…what I consider an ideal “predator load”. If I was long range paper punching and dial spinning..and that’s not my cup of tea…the heavies im sure would be a lot better to buck the wind. Imo that’s what all these new generation of cartridges are geared for and also to shoot heavies for the knee high kids for deer hunting that can’t tolerate recoil. The cartridge world changed when kids WAY under the age of 12 were allowed to hunt and imo all these newer “bantam” cartridges with fast twits were born to appeal to that ”market”. I shoot a lot of 70s in my 243. I don’t even use 80s in that.… even though I have some laying around. I saved those 80 to 85 grain, odd balls to me, for plinking. I do have almost 2 boxes of 85 grain Nosler partitions, but haven’t tried those on deer yet in 243 because I like the 90 grain ballistic tips better. I also have the 95 and 100 grain partitions and haven’t tried them. Too many bullet options in my inventory piles apparently. I even have some Herter .243s that look like hour glass’s in 85 grains. I’ve been Horse trading cast bullets for a lot of jacketed 243 projectiles over the last couple seasons, and wound up with a bunch of really weird oddballs. I need to start casting more up for trade bait! I just traded some for 2 boxes of Nosler 90 grain ballistic tips, a box of 100 grain grand slam, box of 95 grain SSTs, a 160 of the 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips, a box of 62 gr barnes varmint grenades, 72 varmint n tors, a box and three quarters of 95 grain partition, and a box of 100/gr and 85 gr partitions, a Box of 75 gr Nosler solid base zippers, and a few more I can’t rember. I traded for about six boxes of 60 grain Sierra hollow points, giant box full of jacketed projectiles that I know I had about 300 of the 70 grain ballistic tips which are my favorite and a bunch of 90s the rest I don’t remember what they were. They’re all over the board. got some burgers and Sierras in there too in hollow points.

Last edited:
The heavy for caliber projectiles looses all its luster “to me“ because it won’t shoot flat like a 40/50 grain offering…what I consider an ideal “predator load”.
such a misunderstood principle.

"FLAT" is a subjective term most can't or are unwilling to quantify.
Flat at 100 is different than Flat at 300 and both are different than Flat at 600.

It's actually a pretty stupid concept and it's exactly the reason most new cartridges are designed to shoot higher bc bullets with faster twists...because "FLATTER" doesn't mean jack in 2024 with modern optics.

How does a 2024 optic make an 87 grain bullet loaded around 3,100 fps shoot as flat a trajectory as a 55grain bullet loaded at 4250 fps.... that's just a stupid statement. I must have hurt your feelings sorry. I'd rather have a load that shoots up and down two inches out to almost 400 yd instead of having about an 8-in plus drop versus a load that's 800 ft per second slower. I'm not going to fiddle fart spinning dials on my predator rifle. If I was target shooting or varmint hunting sure why not. But when I have to sit there and range in animal with my Rangefinder and start spinning dials that animal is usually gone or in a different range by the time you're done screwing around and you don't get a shot or you're spraying and praying tagging it in the rear end wondering why that perfect shot you made on something never drop the animal and you never found it. No right or wrong answer of course just my opinion then that's the way I'll always hunt. I see you're a new member with about 35 posts so it looks like your little wet behind the ears and have a lot to learn yet.

FYI...using swear words will get you kicked off the forum. We have young children on here. Use some common sense please.

Last edited:
Back