22-250 or 243 for yotes?

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 243. Replaced the plastic stock with a B&C Medalist. I got the trigger down to just over a pound. All this and haven't got a load worked up yet. But next on my list is shortening the barrel. Dultimatpredator, have you cronied your loads in the 600? Curious at to what kind of speeds your getting with the shorter barrel. Doubt I go 16" but maybe 18-20".

Not yet. All I did was shoot my “first” load i ever worked up when I started reloading 22 years ago in the 600 that I loaded for one of my other 243 rifles. Never tried anything else in it or shot it again. Bought it and it’s been sitting after the accuracy modifications and group test. Bought it a good 10 plus years ago off GB for $479 if I remember. My buddy just bought one for under $300 out in AZ for his LGS chambered in 243 that he just finished restoring. Mine looked like new when I bought it and his was missing the rib and sights. My load is a little overbook load if I remember. The load shoots ridiculously accurate in both guns. The 26” VLS with a HS stock will print them in a little cloverleaf and the 600 did the same two times in a row but with a little bigger cloverleaf looking groups. I’ll have to take both my 26” and 16” barreled guns out and chrony both with the same load for comparison. I do have 20” and 22” BCA uppers but IMO the load is probably a little hot for them and loaded to long to try in their actions. I might load up a random load and try in the 22”,20”, and the 16” 600 to test velocities as well. I’ll report back when I do.

Here is a test on rifle shooter that basically did the same type of test…

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/04/243-winchester-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity/

From the test above it seems like the lighter the bullet, the less the velocity change. I’m sure using a faster burning powder will help as well. My plan always was (just like the 243 chambered uppers) to find something under the 70 grain bullet weight to try and get the flattest trajectory out of the shorter barrels. It seems like there is always a give and take with weight and barrel length. The 20” and 22” ARs do not shoot as tight of groups as my bolt guns and weigh ALOT more than the bolt guns. The light 16” 600 won’t shoot as flat, kicks more, and is loud…but is so light you don’t even know your slinging it on your back. To be honest the 20” upper with the muzzle brake is louder than the 16” 600. My 700 heavy barrel isn’t much lighter than the ARs either.

Last edited:
I took note of Acronins post last November and bought Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings for the 243. I think I'm at 16 coyotes with them. Stay off bone and most of them look like they were killed by lightening. Lots of bang flops. Easy on fur. Great bullet, great advice!

Originally Posted By: AcroninGreat topic. I don't want to ever consider myself an expert, but my favorite cartridge of all time is the .243 and before I could afford to buy other rifles that are supposedly more effective on coyotes and deer I used the .243 for everything. Turns out, I still do despite a plethora of other rifles in different chamberings.

I've tried no less than 8 bullets in my .243 1:10" for coyotes. The best hands down no fur damage and 100% kills is the 55gr Sierra Blitzking. I've tried the Nosler BT's and they are fine, but left exits most the time. I haven't tried the 55gr Nosler Varms on coyotes, but have on Praire Dogs. I think they'd be fine, but I'd go with the HP's rather than the BT's because they don't fragment as much in my experience. But I could be wrong. The 58gr Vmaxes are great, but quartering shots they are awful on fur. Sierra 60gr HP's are fine and probably my second best choice, but i haven't tried the 62 gr Barnes VG's. Nosler 70 BT's shoot awesome and people have good luck with those, but again, can get messy on coyotes. A healthy dose of H380 is what I use with my 55gr SBK's.

No, without a doubt, my experiementation ended when I shot 5 coyotes with the 55 SBK's on one stand ranging from 30 yds to 250 and not an exit in any of them and they were all dead. My skinner couldn't believe that I used a .243 on them.

Also, in terms of big game the 1:10. Don't let the 100 gr discourage you. there are plenty of 100 gr bullets that shoot really well out of it. Hornady 100 BTSP and SPFB both work great, 95gr SST's are awesome, but my new favorite is the 100gr SPEER BTSP. they accounted for an antelope at 420yds, and two deer this past year. If you want to go less than 100gr, the 85gr Sierra Game King is a lot of peoples favorite.

The .243 is an amazing cross-over caliber that hasn't met its match, in my opinion, in versatility. With the vast amount of bullet selection and construction its my top choice from prairie dogs to Mule deer. And do the job very well for all of them.

Last edited:
If coyotes only, I prefer the 22-250. If you want to shoot deer and other larger game, then the .243. As for weight, there are lots of ways to lighten up an AR-10 such as going with a carbon barrel. I have used .17 Rem, .204, .223, 22-250, 6WOA, .243, and 25-06 and more for coyotes. For the combination of keeping pelts, flat shooting, and great % DRTs, I still prefer the 22-250, but love the .243 as well. Both calibers have stood the test of time.

AR10s are heavy unless you throw a lot of money at them.
As far as 22-250 vs. .243, I have both but prefer my .243 just because I can load 55 gr all the way up to 100gr bullets. My 22-250 I can probably go to 60 or maybe 65gr at the most.

Like others on this forum I have both the 22-250 and 243 (actually I have a couple of 243s).

The 22-250 - Love it. I have a 1/10 twist and it handles a 60g bullet but I normally load the 55g Nosler BT. I have had the 55g up over 3600 FPS with no signs of pressure but have backed it off down to around 3480 to make it easier on the brass.

The 243 - Probably my favorite overall cartridge to reload for. I have about 400 70g Nosler BTs to use with it but usually prefer the heavier 85-90g class. The season on mountain lion is open year round in my state and if a cat decides to come into the call... The heavy bullets also do a great job on coyotes.

Which one I take out in the field is largely a matter of whatever I ate the night before (my wife is a great cook). They both work great. Hey, sometimes I have even give in to temptation and taken a little 222 that I have that has a 20" bbl and weighs less than 6 lbs including the scope. I also have a 260 Rem that throws a 100g Nosler out the barrel a 3260 FPS. It works too. My advice is not one over the other. I say buy both the 243 and 22-250 when good deals pop up. They both do the job and both are worthy of a spot in your gun safe.

Last edited:
If you're dead set on the AR platform, take a look at the 6 ARC. Very similar to a .243 but out of the AR 15 platform instead of the AR 10.

I have a couple in both calibers . No 22-250 AR , but added a 22nosler in AR .
Great cartridge in the lighter platform .
The 243AR is a dpms , I don’t think it’s too heavy for carry .
If weight was an issue , I guess I should drop some extra pounds before worrying about 1-2 # on my weapon of the day .
Buy and try them all !

I shoot 243, if you save fur you will need to do some serious load work and shot consideration with the 243. If you ever want to hunt large game, most states are 240+ cal so that is a consideration also.

Back