22-250 or .223 for Coyotes?????

Tbone801

still have money ready to burn and am looking into what caliber i want to buy. I posted earlier this week about a kimber pro varmint .223 but am maybe having second thoughts on the caliber now. I really want to get into dog hunting and want to see your opionions. thanks

Also i already have 1500 rounds of .223 but i could just sell it.

Thanks

I get along fine with a .223, but I use it for everything as far as varmints go. If I were to use it strictly for coyotes I would prolly opt fot the 22-250, just for the added velocity/energy/range. It may not be a big issue if you're not going to be taking a lot of long shots, but I'd rather have too much horsepower vs. not enough horsepower.

22-250 hands down!!! I have both calibers, but just got the 22-250 a year ago. It's a lot more accurate out to the 300 yard range. So much more knock down power too. I have a buddy who shoots a .204, it does well but he has had some coyotes run off this year, (2). I have killed 15 coyotes this year with my 22-250 and all have dropped in their tracks. The ammo may be a little more expensive but for a hunting rifle they don't make a better one.

I love my 22-250 bolt rifle, but it's also really nice having that DPMS in .223 for "quick" shots. It's really a personal preference. The 250 is going to increase your range, but if that's the case, just call them in closer!!

I have both, but if I had to pick just one it would definetly be the .22-250. It's a awesome caliber with amazing capabilities.

As for the comment above that it is "much more accurate out to 300 yards"??? Please explain this statement for me if you can. I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

Id think a 22-250 would be a little much for a calling rifle. After all, If we are calling, Why are we shooting at 300 yds?
grin.gif

They are both good but most of the time I take a .22-250. It has more authority with the same bullets. Less spinners or runners. Calling or not we are in open country with wind.

My personal list
100 yds....22 hornet, .22 mag
200 yds....22FB
300 yds....223 Rem
400 yds....22-250 Rem, .243 Win
500 yds....17 hmr or keep calling

These are just my personal guidelines. All these calibers will kill farther and even elk to 500 yds.

Originally Posted By: beaglerAnother vote for the 22-250.
Me too. I think either will do but I like the extra power of the 250. It just seems to anchor things better.

223 all the way. The difference in drop at 300 yards is about 2 inches and the 223 doesn't give you a big blown up mess on things that are closer. Load the right bullet in the 223 and it will be rare that you have an exit hole the size of your fist.

I recently faced the same question myself. Upon asking the guys that hunt a lot in my area, the answer was "if you are only going to have one rifle for coyotes, the 22-250 is the way to go". If you plan to get more then there are others that will work better in different situations, but the 250 is the best "all around" caliber for coyotes.

I have both, the .223 in a Bushmaster/1:8 twist will handle the longer bullets that could stretch to 600yds on paper. The 22-250 is a smi-custom built with a 1:14 twist, I have it at 100-200yds with 55g bullets. I did not build it for long range, more for accuracy. I also have a Savage model 10 tact. in .223/1:9 twist this is used with lighter bullets in the 100-200 range. At this time of the year the coyotes will be hanging out on the sunny side of the slopes and it will take a heavy bullet to get there. If the ever present wind is really blowing I have used my 7mm mag. This is a one shot chance to anchor one, hence the Bushy with 60g or heavier bullets.
Jim

out west on coyotes...the 250...or a 243 shooting 58 gr. vmax...in the east a 223....22 hornet...22 mag..just incase mr fox comes trottin in to 50 yards...

jmo

Quote:
are you saying that a 17 hmr will kill a coyote or an elk at 500+ yard, Just a little confused on that consept

Me too. I have never really warmed up to the idea of the little .17, but in light of recent threads, it has been said that energy doesn't kill-shot placement does.
blush.gif

I have both, 22-250 is second best 2 .224 weatherby imo.and a .17 remington is a bad mo fo, and i don't know about the recent threads, but energy does kill, shot placement will alway be key , just commom sence.

223 if you wanna save fur 22-250 if ya don't care about holes :p I use a swift and 204 swift makes holes stops em dead at long range 204 is my fur gun/calling gun

thanks for all the info i think that i will stay with the .223 but would love to change to a 22-250 one of these days i just wish the ammo was cheaper. Thanks for all your comments and making this a great forum.

I have both. I like the feel of my 22-250 better, but end up grabbing my 223 most and use the 22-250 as a backup. The 22-250 adds 100 yards of range to the 223. Keep'em at 300 yards and under and no problem for the 223.

Back