22-250 Fur Friendly???

What he said. 52 gr Speer HP (NOT the "match" hp) just the regular HP. 3650 ish FPS and that is gold in a 22-250 for fur...on coyotes. Bobcat and fox...to much gun most times, unless you just have to.

Classic pelt load for a 250. You will have runners and spinners with ANY caliber/load, but for a 250 this is as good as it gets for balancing killing power with fur-friendliness.

IMO, FMJ;S, lead tip, plastic tip, high end long range bullets, etc. are not that great and do not do as well as the standard Speer HP for fur. Just my opinion after shooting tons of coyotes, with a lot of different bullets and calibers, in a lot of different scenerios.
Mark

Sorry to be adding a question of my own, but does anyone use the 53 gr. Hornady V-Max for coyotes? It has a great BC of .290 so you don't get much wind deflection and if you push it to 3,800+ fps the trajectory is really quite flat. I haven't used it on coyotes, just paper so far.

Fur Friendly means different things to different people.

What is your definition of fur friendly..?

1. Bullet does not pass through

2. Bullet passes through...BUT... only makes a small exit hole...a stitch able hole.

3. Bullet blows a large hole on the exit side.

4. Bullet splashes on the entrance side...tearing up the hide.

I'm a number 1 Man...if it stays inside... I call that fur friendly big time.

Originally Posted By: Sask trapperIm a fan of handloaded 52grain sierra matchking. Its been my go to bullet in my 22-250 for almost 10 years now

This^^^.

Back