.22-250 for deer?

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I personally don't like small caliber guns for kids where a bad shot could lead to a cripple never found and sour a youngster to hunting. I feel this way about 243s and down as a first deer gun. Remington makes the Managed Recoil loads in many calibers now even your 7mm Mag. And yes, I've killed many deer with a 223, but we're not talking about adults here.

I'll take a 53gr TSX through the ribs over a 160gr whatever in the guts or in the @$$ any day of the week! Quickest way to sour a youngster is to put them behind a rifle that scares them and causes them to develop a flinch.

Woops I ment 60 grain. My friend has a custom cz and it has a 1/12 twist and dosnt like anything over 60 grains. I never shot tsx bullets and didn't mean to type 62.

2nd

Buster Go find something else to do than bash on me. I got 4 deer this year and my spike was with my .22-250

~Bryan

Sounds like the perfect gun for the little guy. I love shooting mine - both deer the past 2 years have been shot with my Savage Model 11. The buck in this thread was shot with a 55gr Sierra Softpoint, at 100 yards with a straight on shot. Not a long shot by any means but he didn't take one step, plunked right over, and he wasn't a lightweight deer either.

2009 Nebraska Muley

As for legal, yeah they are legal on deer.
laugh.gif
We take 3-4 deer a year, and the close shots that aren't wall-hangers, get a .223 head shot. Wastes less meat that way. And those are legal too, as long as you have a certain fps at so many yards, if I remember correctly. I think a .22-250 is a great starter for the future hunter. Doesn't do any good for him to be scared of a rifle from the get go. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: BusterOriginally Posted By: brdeanoOriginally Posted By: Bryan8Originally Posted By: EasternNChunterAlso, my new rifle will have a 1 Pin 12" twist.

mine has a 1/14 twist and I can stablelize up to 55's. 1/12 should do up to 62's

Bryan, No it won't stabilize the 62TSX. That bullet is LOOOOOOONG, and it's bullet length, not weight, that dictates that. In general terms the longer the bullet the heavier it is, but that's not the case with monometal bullets. They're longer than comparable weight cup and core bullets of like weight.

This pic I snapped shows the length/weight relationship fairly well, you can see how long the Barnes 62TSX really is. It's longer than the 69gr SMK and is almost as long as the 77gr SMK. That is why it takes a faster twist to stabilize that particular bullet compared to other 60'ish grain offerings. Barnes recommends a 1-7" to 1-9"twist to stabilize them and I've only ever ran them 1-8"twist 223AI's and a 1-8"twist 22-250. But you can see how that bullet is in the same length range as the 69 and 77gr SMK and why it takes a comparable twist to run them, even though they are lighter.

In order:

50Vmax, 52SMK, 53TSX, 55FMJ, 62TSX, 69SMK, 77SMK, 75Amax

100_1554.jpg

My guess is, he's never fired a TSX (of any shape or size) in his lifetime, nor has he ever killed a deer with a .22-250, and more than likely has never killed a deer period.
yep actually he has killed one with a 22-250. i have seen a picture of it. in fact i think he has killed quiet a few, unless you know it better than me.
i wouldnt make a .22-250 my first choice, and yea i would take a deer with it, and it will kill one.

Originally Posted By: EasternNChunter I am wondering how the .22-250 would do on deer (thinking 100 LB doe).

On a 100 lb doe, you should be fine. We have shot several pronghorns with .22-250 and 55 gr SP, no problem, and they are basically a 100 lb animal. I'd prefer a .243 as a more serious deer round, but I'd rather have the .22-250 for coyotes and since I personally shoot many more coyotes than I do deer, I'd be happy with the .22-250. Knowing that you're carrying a "light" gun should be extra incentive to choose shots carefully and I think that's a good mindset to develop.

And like you say, you can always get a deer gun later. I hate re-sighting rifles and tend to use one bullet per gun, so we basically have a different rifle for every intended use, thus duplicates in the same caliber sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Bryan8..... and I had the tags for a doe or buck so it didn't matter

Nice edit.... ^^^^^^^

Still, its a good thing to know exactly what it is you're shooting at before the shot and not after...

-BCB

i have shot 1 and seen 3 more shot w/ 22-250 ay various yrds. bang flop, mine was 370 yrds, know what your rifle can do and what you can do w/ your rifle, make educated shots and you will be fine w/ that cal.

That's what ya' call making a complete circle....

Originally Posted By: Bryan8..... Wouldn't of shoten it if I knew it was a spike.......

To:

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Haha yea but it was like the last weekend and I was under the if it's brown it's down phase lol. It's spikes were small so I didn't see them while it was running

~Bryan

-BCB

Originally Posted By: Bryan8Haha yea but if I knew before hand that it was a small spike I wouldn't of shot it, but I thought it was a doe when it was running. I was looking to fill a doe tag so I was refering to if of it's brown it's down for a doe.

~Bryan

Keep shoveling... The hole is getting deeper and deeper...

The internet is indeed a funny place. In the past 48 hours it's been a short trip from folks who think landowners (whiners, no less) have no right to restrict hunting rights on our own land to this...

What's next..?? Maybe a thread titled, " Describe Your Most Successful Sound Shot"..??

JMO - BCB

Originally Posted By: BusterOriginally Posted By: mad okiethe 30-30 is a low recoil option for kids that wont jar their teeth.

In what rifle? I have a Winchester Model 94 and it ain't real fun to shoot!

+1!I bought one on sale at a good price years back but can't say I was sorry to see it go.I was very surprised how hard it kicked.

Sorry I was wrong. In my extensive research I found that deer are predators on gardens,flowers, small trees and other dangerous plants. So I guess they fit well on this Forum called Predator Masters.

Back