22.250 bullet

Originally Posted By: K9 Stalker
Scan_Pic0001.jpg

howa22-250.jpg

Howa 22-250 M1500 action - Win Brass, Fed gold primer, Varget 35.1, V-Max 55gr - 250 yrds -I couldn't be more pleased with 6 round group!

Not too shabby
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

That is some of the best shooting I have seen. I consider myself a pretty good shot. I can hit clays out to 400yds 9 out of 10 times but to shoot sub MOA @ 250yds....wow. I know McKayla (USA Gymnest) would not be impressed but I am.

very nice indeed.

I shot 1/4 moa 5 shots groups @ 500 yds twice, in 2 different matches.

I believe Superseal110 witnessed one of them
cool.gif

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

howa22-250.jpg

Howa 22-250 M1500 action - Win Brass, Fed gold primer, Varget 35.1, V-Max 55gr - 250 yrds -I couldn't be more pleased with 6 round group!

That group is fine, and I am sure that you are happy with it. Question is, what about that dam flier. I hate those little bastards! What of it?

Scan_Pic0001.jpg

howa22-250.jpg

Addressing the flyer that you got.
For myself I find that I get one of these usually on the last shot
cursing.gif
For some dang reason
blushing.gif
. I know what it is I do not follow through after the shot.
cursing.gif

That is a fine 6 shot group. Still within a Minute of coyote at 300 YDS on the flyer.

DAB

Thanks guys on the compliments - I didn't mean to hijack this by any means.

For the flier - two things.
1. It was the 4th or 5th shot. I'm pretty sure that I leaned into the back of my sled when I fired. Very confident I saw a lift and I take human error to blame on this one.

2. tolerances on every step we do in reloading. I seperate my brass by plinking rounds & hunting rounds. My hunting rounds all spec out together perfectly. My plinking rounds have the minor errors like a couple thousand on the trim, bullet seating .002 deeper,....... I could NEVER get a group like this out of my plinking rounds. Close, but not quite.

My 1-12" Savage shoots bug holes with Sierra 55 gr, #1365 over Varget. For factory rounds it shoots very well with Hornady 55 gr V-Max.

My friend runs a 55gr SBT over varget in his coyote rig and it gets the job done well. I use the 60gr HP Sierra in my 223 and it's proven medicine out to 350yds for Indiana Song dogs. I cant see why it wouldnt be just as good if not better in the 22-250.

I've killed alot of coyotes with a stout dose of H4895 or W760 behind a 52gr Speer HP. Don't know why, but these bullets have shot very good in every .22-250 I've put em through.
I also like the 50 & 55gr BT over a good bit of W760 or H380. I have a Kimber Pro Varmint at the moment that only seems to like the 50gr Sierra Blitz Kings, guess I'll find out how they work on coyotes this winter.

Originally Posted By: Varmintnv

"I've killed alot of coyotes with a stout dose of H4895 or W760 behind a 52gr Speer HP. Don't know why, but these bullets have shot very good in every .22-250 I've put em through."

That bullet (the 52gr Speer hollow point) was once considered the most accurate .224" bullet available. Speer even sold a silver plated version that was hand inspected - you young pups won't know this, but Speer was once the top bullet company in Benchrest stuff, and hosted the Super Shoot every year.

It has a low BC, but for ranges under 300yds, it is death on wheels.

Lions are not hard to kill, but poly tips bullets would not be my first choice with an exception being a 22 caliber 75g V Max.

IN the 14 twists, the toughest 55g bullet is the 55g Hornady Sp with the cannalure, accuate also. Then the Sierra line of 55's all penetrate well with the 55g BTHP being the toughest of them all in the sierra line. We shot coyotes for years in Mexico with all the sierra 55's. I have killed two does with the 55g Sierra's in a 223 with a load of 26.5g of 748, they both dropped in their tracks.

The 63g Sierra is a very accurate bullet that is dependable for coyotes, deer, and cats. I shot the "Accuracy" load in the nosler manual with IMR 4350 with a Win primer. This bullet and load is especially good as the throats get shot out in your 22/250 as the longer bullet can still reach the lands.

I tried the 60g Sierra HP on coyotes in the mid 80's and it just shot holes through them, they may have changed the jacket since then, this was a VERY tough bullet.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterThat bullet (the 52gr Speer hollow point) was once considered the most accurate .224" bullet available. Speer even sold a silver plated version that was hand inspected - you young pups won't know this, but Speer was once the top bullet company in Benchrest stuff, and hosted the Super Shoot every year.

One of the most interesting things I've heard in a long time. I've wondered about Speer, they seem to just exist and no one uses their bullets. I have looked at their bullets and they don't seem to have a high BC.

Originally Posted By: joedOriginally Posted By: CatShooterThat bullet (the 52gr Speer hollow point) was once considered the most accurate .224" bullet available. Speer even sold a silver plated version that was hand inspected - you young pups won't know this, but Speer was once the top bullet company in Benchrest stuff, and hosted the Super Shoot every year.

One of the most interesting things I've heard in a long time. I've wondered about Speer, they seem to just exist and no one uses their bullets. I have looked at their bullets and they don't seem to have a high BC.

I don't know why, but some 25-ish years ago, Speer almost abandoned the rifle bullet market - they still make a lot of good ones, but their list is stagnant and not outstanding. I think they decided to concentrate on pistol bullets - and they do an outstanding job there.

Back