2017 Ground hog kills. How many so far???

Originally Posted By: marcoWahoowad, been shooting your Ruger 77/22 mag lately?

Hello my friend! All the old crowd is disappearing, just like the groundhogs
crazy.gif

I have not shot it this season...yet. I need to take it to the range and check my zero. Too many guns, running out of time...

How about you?

Yes! Arkansas squirrel season opened yesterday, do all the rim fires are sighted in and ready to go! My Ruger 77/22 magnum VMBZ is always ready to go because I use it year round!!

If the weather looks good, it will be Ruger VMBZ 22 magnum leupold EFR and 34gr Supremes on fox squirrels after work today!

Marco - how did your squirrel hunting go?
confused.gif

I was motivated by your post to break out my VMBZ and take it on quick evening hunt. It hasn't had the zero checked for several years but I figure I'm only gonna shoot it around 100 yards so safe bet it's still going to get the job done.

Only one groundhog showed itself, down in this ravine with the blowdown tree. I had to use my tall bipod and a sitting position to get above the tall grass. But the 22 mag Remington Accutip drilled it in the head and stopped it in it's tracks.

jm661OY.jpg

FSiIWTI.jpg

Originally Posted By: wahoowadI was motivated by your post to break out my VMBZ and take it on quick evening hunt. It hasn't had the zero checked for several years but I figure I'm only gonna shoot it around 100 yards so safe bet it's still going to get the job done.

Only one groundhog showed itself, down in this ravine with the blowdown tree. I had to use my tall bipod and a sitting position to get above the tall grass. But the 22 mag Remington Accutip drilled it in the head and stopped it in it's tracks.

Nice to see you put the VMBZ to work again. It's still up to the task.

I don't have a pic of the chuck as the beans are popping through and didn't feel like walking almost 250yards. Savage axis HB 223rem, 55gr v max reloads, shot prone. started to shoot a blonde chuck at about 230yards and he spooked so we noticed another one and it took me awhile to get setup correctly and i fired and missed. He came back out about 5min later and began staring at the hillside and tall weeds i was hiding in and once he gave me a shot i let it rip. #1 for me this year. Probably heading out Monday for some more.

4 at 420yards with kimber 6.5 creedmore
1 at 135yards with rra 223.
Then we moved in on a Rocky fenceline with our 17hmrs. Ranges from 40 thru 140yards. We lost count at 25 kills. Lol
Very target rich environment you might say..
Not a bad days shoot..

Originally Posted By: whyShot 21 Fri And Sat with the 20 vt out to 367 yds. Puts me at 105 for the year.

I have driven through there and wondered how the groundhog action was with the sandy soil

Well I got a reminder of why I shoot these little buggers. Baling hay yesterday we ran over a hole dumping about 15 bales. Then taking that same wagon down the road we lost 50 going around a turn, that hole in the field really loosened the load up. So it looks like I have some shooting to do at my house.

I went out Saturday night and got number 5 and 6.

Well got 4 more tonight bringing me to 10. Longest was at 340 yards and another at 325. Missed one at 400. My goal is to break 400 yards this summer

Last edited:
Back