2007 Spring Turkey Photo contest pictures..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Dont need much of a story with that pic, the smile tells all !

Congrats !!!

My thoughts exactly!

Hunter: My 9 year old daughter, with her first Turkey

Tale of the tape: 24 1/2 pounds, 1 1/4 inch spurs, and 9 beard.

After 4 & 1/2 hours in a ground blind Hannah shot the turkey at 18 yards with a .410 loaded with a 3" load of #6's.

I was hoping that if I could take her out 6-8 times we might get a jake in close enough for a shot, but this was my first hunt out of a blind. The only way to go with kids in my book now.

We had a cooler with snacks and drinks, chairs, We actully just kind played around with turkeys in the field, because they were henned up so bad. But at 11:00 the hens went to the nest and the Gobblers strolled on over to check us out.
Hannah did the rest.

[image][/image]

The little girl holding the gun is my other daughter Allee, she is 5 and counting the days until her first turkey hunt. I'll be taking her fishing for now though.

Man if I had the job of deciding on this years winner, it would be a tough call. The pictures with getting the kids involved with the hunt, & seeing the look on their faces is outstanding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I guess you could say it's not your Grandpa's standard .410 when it has a Holosight. I didn't have it on any of my other guns at the time and Hannah had trouble shooting with one eye closed, so the Holosight worked out nicely.

I had originally posted this in Predator hunting as I did not realize this post was going. Here it is, Hope you all enjoy as much as I have enjoyed all of the previous posts!

I traveled to Sweetwater Tx for a combo Predator and Turkey hunt on Wed March 28. The plan was to call predators for two nights and shoot some pigs before Turkey season opened on Saturday 3/31. However, you know what they say about the best laid plans... Our first two days were almost a total wash as high winds, storms, rain and hail moved through the area. I have to hand it to you guys that live on the plains of TX, I live in the path of Hurricane Katrina and that storm scared the mess out of me. A storm shelter would have been a most welcome sight, but there were none on the property.

While the predator portion of our hunt was almost a total loss, things begin to look up as turkey season neared. Our outfitter, who I will only say lacked the level of professionalism that we were looking for, did have some grounds that held a good number of turkey. Friday evening was spent overlooking some creek bottom fields and roosting areas. I was able to locate a good flock of birds that held 8 strutting gobblers. I formulated a plan to set up on this flock in the morning long before daylight.

First light on Saturday saw me set up 150 yards from the roost with my Pretty Boy decoy and 3 hens in a small field along the creek. Just as if it were it were scripted, at first light gobblers started sounding off all the way around me. Now, I'm not the world's best turkey hunter, but I thought I just might be able to make this work!

Our hunt allowed us to take 4 gobblers each, this was most welcome as I could see 8 strutters approaching from the distance toward my decoys. Every time I would call, they would all answer along with 3 others behind me. I felt like I was under attack! When they were in range, I took 2 mature gobblers with the first shot. Birds went everywhere and one gobbler ran straight at me, I took him too in self defense. 25 min into my hunt it was 3/4 over. Here is a pic of the Sat morning Results:

David3-1.jpg

Due to the fact that the turkeys were severely henned up and not coming to the call extremely well, I chose to set up for the afternoon hunt with some decoys and stay put and call once in a while. As it got near 6:00, I heard a gobble over my left shoulder. A few soft yelps and an answer! As he got closer I could hear his hens leading the way. I saw the hens pass by at 80 yards and the gobbler was about 75 yards behind them following. I began to cut up and try to imitate a flock of hens. While I knew that I could not call him off of his hens, I thought I might be able to alter his course 30 or 40 yards. It worked to perfection. He strutted up to 30 yards and as he topped the rise, the setting sun was shinning through his fan. It was a sight worth the entire trip. The first day of my trip and I had filled all four tags! Here is a pic of the afternoon bird:

David4.jpg

I spent Sunday doing a little predator calling with limited success. I did call a yote to into a wheat field at about 400 yards and miss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I was on a high hillside and overlooking about a 600 acre field. She came out on the far side at about 700 yards and right through the middle of the wheat field. It was tall enough that I could just see the top of her back and her head. She got to about 400 yards and locked up for some reason. I had the wind and she could not possibly see me, but as they do, she started the other way. I decided to give her a try and set the Dtech up and let fly. I must have shot right under her, as she jumped about 5 feet high and ran like her tail was on fire. Here are a few pics of the countryside:

SweetwaterTxLandscape4-3.jpg

SweetwaterTxLandscape4-2.jpg

SweetwaterTxLandscape4-1.jpg

SweetwaterTxLandscape4.jpg

On Monday we made the long trek home to Mississippi, rested Tuesday and on Wed. I made a short hunt before work on my local lease. Like a script once again, 30 min I called one up strutting and gobbling. 5 birds in one week! What a great week of memories! Hope you all enjoy this, I sure did. Next week it is off to my home state of Missouri for 4 days of hunting with some old friends from high school. Maybe there is more to come? Even if there are no more, it has been a great spring! Here is a pic of the Mississippi Bird:

4.jpg

Here's one from opening day in Colorado.

My partner and I left town at 4:00 and were set up well before shooting light. Things were slow and we hadn't seen or heard anything by 8:30 so we decided to "run-n-gun" until we heard a gobble. It was a bad move because 150 yards from our set up we ran into a silent flock of 15 birds with at least 3 toms that had been heading our way. They scattered into the sage and pinyons so we went to the truck to check a few more places for sign.

We found some, but still no gobbling so we set up over an appearant strutting area in a small opening in the pinyon-juniper forest hoping to ambush something. Nothing happened, so we had lunch and went looking for antlers until early evening, and managed to find a four point and a funny looking 3 point antler.

Once we decided to go after the birds again we set up on a hill that gave us a view of where we had seen the birds in the morning. Immediately we spotted a nice gobbler with 3 hens so we made a big circle to get around them as they fed up the ditch toward the roost. We set up so one of us could watch the ditchbank, and the other could watch a fire break about 20 yards up the hill. I had only made one set of yelps when I heard the gobbler drumming--he had to be close. A split second lader I saw movement through the woods. It took him about 10 seconds to close the distance from 25 yards to only 3 yards, at full strut the whole time. Neither of us could shoot--Sam was on one side of the tree and the turkey on the other, and Sam was between me and the bird. After a few seconds the turkey moved to the right and gave me an 11 yard shot, which I mananged to miss! We were searching for any evidence that I had drawn blood when another gobbler started going about 200 yards up the canyon. We looked for a few more minutes and found nothing, then moved on the second gobbler.

15 minutes of calling and one change in set-up and the second bird was 35 yards out and in the wide open. Sam told me he'd back me up so I shot, almost knocking the bird over. The gobbler jumped and managed to get airborn and Sam promptly knocked him down. So, there should be 2 birds in the pic but after a day like that who can complain?

Good luck to everyone,

Nick

488542.JPG

Last edited:
Had a serious dilemma last Friday. I was itching to go after another bird after last weekends success and decided early on I would cut out early and go Friday afternoon and hunt the weekend. Mother Nature had another idea. A sever storm was blowing through, moving West to East, and I had to drive right through the middle of hell to get out to the lease. After a little bit of debate, I remembered the success I have had hunting after a storm passed and took off. Luckily I missed all the tornadoes but did manage to find a little bit of hail and a lot of heavy rain (visibility was cut to 30 yards in some area).
I arrived at the lease at 6:00pm, changed clothes and off I went. The wind was still pretty stiff at 20mph and the first set up got zero responses. I moved to the other side of this pasture and set up. As soon as I started calling 3 gobblers answered and came in. Unfortunately they hung up on the other side of the fence and would not come over. 1 of these birds was huge and must have had an 11 inch beard.
Next morning I took off for another pasture, got parked, and set up before day light. I had 3 birds gobbling 250 yards behind me across a creek and on top of a bluff. This was going to be a challenge. After about 45 minutes of calling I started to give up on those birds and low and behold 1 cut loose just on the other side of the creek. I changed positions and put myself in between the decoys and the bird. I was standing up making some soft purrs trying to figure out where the bird was going to pop out at when it rounded a cedar tree 35 yards away and busted me. Well, that was done….then I hear a gobble 30 yards behind me!
I slowly turn around to see a Gobbler in full strut 2 feet from the decoys. There is too much brush in the way and I am slowly trying to bend around, under, over tree limbs. No shot and the bird takes off.
I change locations to the other side of this pasture (it’s about 8:30 am). Standing in the wide open I let loose with a cut or two. Damned if one didn’t cut loose about 75 yards away. I rush to plant the decoys and get between the bird and the decoys. Not 5 minutes later he shows up at 25 yards. The old Rem. 820 does it again. 8 ½ inch beard and 7/8” spurs. No scales, sorry.
Thanks for reading and have a safe and fun Turkey season everyone.
DSC00809.jpg

Pic's arent the greatest as usual with my cheap camera and location of pic, but I filmed the entire hunt which is priceless !!!!

DylanSpringGobbler2007007.jpg

Edited: Forgot to add this is my son, DylanD.

Last edited:
I had the absolute best day of turkey hunting I have ever had yesterday morning. My main goal was to get my cousin's husband and hunting partner on his first turkey. We had a bird roosted and we put our game plan to work at day break. This old bird that has been eluding us for 3 years finally met his match yesterday morning at 6:30. He responded to my calling and came to my decoy as about as perfect as you could ask for. The only problem was that Luke had a limb in his way and he was afraid to take the shot. I was a few yards to Luke's right with the old gobbler putting a show on right in front of me. When he figured out something just wasn't right and he was about to exit the scene, I pulled the trigger. This is the best gobbler I have taken. He was 23lbs with a 12" beard and 1 3/8" spurs. This was an old bird. I hunted with and am advertising my Predator Masters.com hat in the picture.

It was still early and we decided to go up the road on some more of the family farm and see if we could locate another nice gobbler we have been seeing. Luck was in our favor and we found him. We got set up and I slid my trusty old decoy into place and I began calling. This had to be the hottest bird I have ever called to. Once he saw the decoy and I purred to him that sweet hen melody, he came in on a string. I was sitting right behind Luke and gave him the "take him" when he cleared some limbs. My goal for the morning was accomplished, Luke had just harvested his first gobbler at 8:15. He was 19lbs with an 8 1/2" beard and 1" spurs. It was a perfect hunt and to top it off, I gave him my slate call and told him to return the favor by learning to use the call and to call in a gobbler for another new turkey hunter some day. Just trying to keep the spirit and friendships of hunting alive.

To say the least, this is a morning I will never forget. I had called in and harvested quite possibly the biggest bird I will ever take and had called in a very nice gobbler for a good friend.

DSC_0286.jpg

Last edited:
Our story is detailed below, called "Jr's Redemption". In honor of the two birds/two tags - and one of them having a double beard, I am taking the liberty of posting two photos.

Jr. and birds in front of the old farmhouse.

Turkey07001.jpg

Jr. and birds in front of the tree that the second one crashed into after the shot.

100_0728.jpg

Here's a picture of my good friend from work, Howard, who bagged his first turkey this spring.
IMG_0059.jpg

Howard grew up hunting squirrels, and running coon dogs, and still does, at my guess, nearly 70 years old. His father ran quite a trapline in the 30's and 40's, and Howard helped out from the time he was young. For anyone who loves the outdoors, he's got some fascinating stories of what hunting, fishing, trapping, etc. was like in times gone by.

Howard had never hunted turkeys before, and we had quite a hunt. The first two days were miserable with rain and high winds, but the third day was classic. Gobblers sounding off before flydown, we set up close and had quite a time convincing the two jakes to come investigate. After an hour, they finally caved in, and Howard made a great shot with his single shot 12 gauge. I don't know who was more excited, me or Howard!

Hey,
Today is the 27th and there is only one week of turkey season to go here in california.

Here is the turkey my dad shot this morning it has a 9 inch beard and 1 inch spurs on him.

zack153.jpg

We have been hunting this turkey for 3 weeks and have finally caught up with him.

Yesterday we sat on a fence line that they had been running and found out that we were 60 yards from his roost tree.

When they all flew down there was a total of 5 hens,3 jakes and 3 big toms we were sitting were they could not see are decoys and would not respond to any of are calls and they played with us all morning long and then they finally left.

This turkey was 38 yards away and was shot at 6:30 right off the roost.
He had 3 jakes,1 lonbeard,and 2 hens with him.
It was a good morning even that I did not get a turkey it was nice seeing my dad shoot one.

Thanks,
Zach House

A couple of Colorado Merriams. Hunting partner and I both took birds this morning. Both birds are 2 yr olds, his had a 9" beard and mine was 8 1/2". First time we have managed to take two birds within minutes of each other. Me on the left.
JimGuyturkey4-28-07001.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those rare opportunities to hunt alone this morning. Both my girls had friends over, my oldest son was at a sleepover and Mrs. Dawg was with my youngest who feeling a bit under the weather. All my regular buddies had made other plans. So, at 5:15 I slipped into 500 acres of Delmarva turkey heaven. At 5:40 as I was setting up my blind on the edge of a field, the first gobbles rang out. We've gotten to know this trio of longbeards real well in the last two weeks including a friend's miss on one at 37 yards at 11:20 a.m. on the 19th. It would have been his first turkey. I was set up shortly before six and gave a few light yelps and all three immediately hammered back at me. At 6:05 they were on the ground and heading my way. At 6:15 they were 25 yards behind me in the woods and shaking the tent, but would not commit to coming out in the field to check out the decoys 15 yards away. Eventually, a hen came a yelping and lead them away where they gobbled nonstop until 7:30. Around 8:30 I heard a gobble in the distance which I answered and got no reply. I spotted a turkey about 200 yards out in the field in front of me heading in my direction where it walked into the woods. Ten minutes later after a few quiet series of yelps I spotted him in the field out front about 75 yards. He then walked right into my decoy spread and stood between the fake jake and hen giving me a perfect frontal 17 yard shot. I normally pass up jakes, but with a bow any legal turkey is a trophy in my book. What a morning!

Turkey_Photo_Winner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back