20 Practical twist and groove?

DiRTY DOG

I'm looking at a 20 Practical barrel from X Caliber. What twist should I get? Also 3-groove or 6- groove?

I will shoot Hornady 24gr NXT (longer than lead bullets) and 32gr Vmax. And a few 31gr Hammers. I do not plan to shoot super heavy bullets, this is for sub-300 yard varminting.

I want a 20"-22" maybe #5 heavy sporter contour for a walking varminter. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I just finished up a 20 Practical with a 24", 10 twist, Wilson barrel, .88 at the muzzle. I wanted the 10 twist for 40 gr Vmaxs. It also shoots the 32 gr Vmax very well. The weight runs around 11 lbs. Using a Slogan 1.5" wide sling makes it very easy to carry.

If you're absolutely certain you'll never shoot anything heavier then the 32 grainers a 12tw is all you'll need but even saying that I'd recommend using a 11tw or even a 10tw just in case you ever decide to try the 40gr Vmax. An 11tw would be my first choice followed closely by a 10tw.

Thompson Center used 10 twist barrels for the 204R. I have a TC Dimension 204R barrel that is a 10 twist, very accurate. When I ordered my Black Hole Weapons 20p AR barrel, I went 1/10. I still have several boxes of the Hornady 45 gr sp, going to use them out of the Dimension sometime.

I have a 20" 10 twist, 3 groove from X-caliber that clover leafs everything I feed it. I'm very happy with it and ended up ordering a couple more barrels from them. I highly recommend them.
Just to add that I would definitely get at least a 10 twist for any lead free bullets.

Back