1st year and still trying, but smiling

Magnum 22

I'm still working on taking my first yote or red calling. I'm not complaining, it is just fun to keep trying!! I'm not worried about instant success, I don't think I would be having this much fun!! It will be just that much sweeter when I do connect!!

Anyone else feel this way??

If you are hooked on calling and haven't connected yet, you'll be a real fanatic when you get your first one. You may be prone to giving up your job/school, family, friends, etc. and devote your entire life to calling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You be sure to let us know when you connect with that first one.

Say,
You should sell eveything now and get out!!! saturday I got my first kill and it was a double using a mouth call (on coyotes). This morning I used my new prey master for the first time and called in a coyote within 3 minutes. I don't know where he came from but he tottally surprised me. He was ten yards away when I saw him and he saw me. Surprised me so bad I forgot to shoot him. I'll hook him up next time. Any way stay with it and read this sight these ol' boys know there business.

magnum, i also feel the same way...ive always wanted to hunt predators and when i got a fox while pheasant hunting it turned on a switch that made me buy 3 cassettes and a couple hand calls...although ive only called in one owl, im still looking forward for the next oppurtunity to go out and hunt....i am definatley a novice and would like to hook up with someone who knows what theyre doing for once...i have the land to hunt on but no predator knowledge.

Just stick with bud!
I know how you feel, I average one yote per fifteen stands. When it happens, it's a TOTAL RUSH!!!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Bake.

No worries I have shot my share of yotes but only called in one. That was last year, now I have a new bushmaster. And a new hobby. One is all it took

Keep at it in 4 years of calling I can I can still count the coyote that I ve called in and killed on one hand.The best advice I can give you is to keep it simple and have fun. grayfox

I know what you guys are say'in!!! In the past I ve only been with someone who used an e-caller, killed 1 or 2 a year. So this year I set out on my own, bought a primos raspy coaxed and a flextone dying rabbit. Went out for the first time last sat.am 1st stand 20min later I shot my first dog at 100 yards, felt just like it did when I shot my first big deer, after watching the pair come from about 1/2 mile away, its all I could do to remember how to shoot my gun!!! ended up killing 3 that day had more fun than I ve had in for ever,.. I'd trade my house for more places to hunt and the time to hunt them...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey you newbies from Minnesota. Where are you from? Fill me in a bit and I may be able to help you out. I'm in Minnesota too. Parkers Prairie just north of Alexandria.

Let me know.

Randy

I think it took me about 25 stands to get my first song dog--not for sure, but I know it was a bunch. The more a person predator hunts, the better he/she gets at it. This is not only being able to call better, read the wind better; it is also a matter of being more in touch with this type of hunting. You'll be able to spot good calling places from bad calling places if you stick with it. Have fun whether a yote appears or not.

I'm with Silverfox. If your having that much fun now, wait until you call one in. Then when you get one as well. You've probably seen on the board this year it's been tough going all over. Last year was my first year. Called in 3 coyote, shot at two and got two. So this year I thought I'd get at least that many and a few more. unfortunately I havn't gotten one. I think I saw a pair come in the other day for the first time. But they were so far away I could'nt confirm for sure. Hang in there and they will come. This board is the best. Without it I would have given up. Now I'm hooked!! Let's see, 2 guns, some hand calls, foxpro, & JS Preymaster all over the last year our so. Yeah, I'm hooked. Good luck! Funny thing is. If you stay on your stand long enough. THe first one called in will be an absolute surprise. My first last year suddeenly appeard from nowhere a little over 100 yards in front of me. Ahhh, the heart was pounding so hard I was afraid the coyote would hear me in my hidy spot. See you around.

I hear ya! Last year was the first I tried calling yotes. After about a dozen or more stands I finally got one to come in about 75 yds. over the crest of a hill. He was moving to get down wind of me so I "barked" at him and he stopped (just like I seen Randy Andersen do on his video)! Only problem was he stopped right behind the only clump of grass that stuck up above the crest of the hill. When he started to move again he was getting further over the crest so that when I stopped him again all I could see was the top of his head and ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I couldn't get a shot at him, but man was it exiting to finally get one to come in!
So, this year I got my own rifle, more calls, etc. and planned on doing a lot more calling. But alas, we haven't had any snow or real winter weather yet and the calling has produced absolutely zero this year. Last Friday evening I was coming back from my deer stand (late muzzleloader season) and as I get to the truck I hear a coyote start howling. Then another, then another. There were coyotes howling from 4 or 5 different locations in the area. So Saturday morning I get into this area and make a couple stands right at sun up. My howling and dying rabbit calls produced zip. I don't think were going to see much in this area until we get some snow. Hope you all have better luck where you are! I need to start getting some yotes or my wife is REALLY going to start wondering why I bought that new rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hey grizz
do you have a brother named ray?
if so i may have hunted duck with you before.
just wondering.

natuboy

I'm a newbie too with only about a half dozen serious stands under my belt.
Yesterday afternoon late I had yet another eye opening and interesting experience!
I set up in an old hay barn filled with round bales. The first "funny" thing that happened was when I peeped at my decoy around the corner of the barn, it was surrounded by 3 calves and a big ol' Charlais (sp?) cow! They were all bug-eyed staring at it from about 2 inches away! It was just a-swaying and they were mesmerized by it!
They finally left and a 2000 lb bull set up camp next to it!
After all the bovine activity passed I got a real sinking feeling in my gut. Hmmmm, all these round bales would make a great place for a 'yote to not only hunt but den as well and there I was in the middle of them!
I think I'll let the barn rest a while and set-up opposite from it and see if I can call anything OUT of it.

Hey, i'm with you buddy. I'm new to the sport this year, have tried numerous stands with zero success. Although I too am having a blast with this i'm afraid I don't have as good of an attitude as you. I am getting a bit frustrated with this and wonder each and every time what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the encouragement! !

I am also a newbie from southern MN with no luck. I shot a coyote deer hunting last year and missed a couple trapping, so the only thing left to do was hunt them. So I bought a rifle, some hand calls, and an electronic caller, i am hooked and haven't seen one yet. just an avid hunter with a new game to play. I've found lots of sign, but no luck yet. I hope it snows here to make things a little easier.

Firepower>> anytime ! always up to new story's, anything to do with shoot'in count me in !!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Originally posted by sneekeehunter:
[qb]Hey, i'm with you buddy. I'm new to the sport this year, have tried numerous stands with zero success. Although I too am having a blast with this i'm afraid I don't have as good of an attitude as you. I am getting a bit frustrated with this and wonder each and every time what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the encouragement! ![/qb]
That is what is so crazy about hunting coyotes.
You may not be doing anything wrong, even if you are doing everything right you may not get any to come in. It may not be about you it may be about the coyotes. When the coyotes are in the frame of mind to come in you can be doing it "wrong" and they might still come in.
Keep at it and when you finally do call one in take good notes on every aspect of that successful stand and try to copy that successful formula on future stands. That will increase your confidence.
In my opinion the very best time to hunt is immediately in front of a storm hitting the area. You may increase your odds by trying to get out at those times.
It is not reasonable to expect the kind of success you see from some of these folks who post pictures of 5 or 10 animals shot in a night.
These guys are the Michael Jordans of the coyote hunting world. For most of us any day you can call in a coyote, whether you shoot it or not, is considered a successful day.
Keep at it, remember it is a game of numbers, the more quality stands you make the more opportunities you have to get a coyote to come in.
Good Luck!

Back