.17hmr vs .22 Mag

Quote:
I want a Red FOX Gun, specifically a spot and stalk Red Fox gun, nothing more, nothing less.....
I already have a .17 Rem Centerfire.

There's your answer right there....

I have a 17 hmr and have killed fox with it. In my opinion get the flatter shooting of the 2 (17hmr). A missed shot is just that. The 22 is a good cal, and I have no doubt it hits harder. My thing is that foxes are not as tough as coyotes and typically if they get hit they don't go very far if any where. Having said that we only have kit and grays here no reds. One big down side to the HMR is it loses accuracy if not cleaned around every 15 shots or so. I keep a (gasp) bore snake around and run it through every once in awhile.

The red fox I shot with my HMR was right at 100yds. a dead center shot to the chest with a v-max killed him dead. I think the HMR is the perfect crow rifle and not a bad fox gun I mean when you have a gun that you can put the bullet in there eye at 125yds. what else do you want?

Just my two cents: I shoot a .17HMR, but have shot with a guy shooting a .22 mag. We were killing animals right next to each other. The heavier bullets and larger diameter of the .22 makes for more spectacular kills. I killed mine just at dead (these were nutria), but that .22 mag hit them hard. If you were shooting rabbits and what-not, I'd say .17, as it's a flat, flat cartidge. But I think I'd go with the .22 for foxes.

I'm partial to the Hornet and would whole heartedly recommend it.But since your choices are the 17HMR or the 22WMR,I would choose the 22WMR.I've used this round for 40 years and it never has let me down.I use it for fox in counties that don't allow centerfires or in populated areas where low noise level is important.As an old timer who owned the sporting goods store the next town over once said "I'd rather get shot by a .38 special point blank than get shot by the .22WMR at 100 yards." I took his statement to heart and have used the 22WMR ever since.Good luck.

to me coons are a lot harder to kill then fox.that being said is the reason i dont own a 22 mag any more.i was having to shoot them 2-3 times to kill them.with the 17hmr its a one shot drt.all the guys that have gone coon hunting with me that used 22mag now use 17hmr.i am not trying to start anything i am just telling the truth.a 35-40 lb boar coon is about the meanest thing you can ever call in.trust me you want a one shot drt because the next thing his coming after is you.

Back