17hmr to 17 WSM conversion

Originally Posted By: huntsman22Not to pick nits, but hornady partnered with savage on the 17 Hornet. Hornady and ruger were together on the 17 HMR and 204 though.....

Yeah, hm22, ya got me there! I stand corected. I actually thought they partnered with more than one on the HMR. Marlin was biggie in the beginning. I would think they'd be in touch with several before anyhting near production happens. Kinda wondering where Winchester Ammo is going with the 17 WSM???

I don't know about converting anything to this round, but I suspect that there could soon be some rifles made ready for it by the manufacturers themselves. Rifles such as Ruger 77/xx, Weihrauch HW66 and Anschutz 17xx are all being made in both rimfire and centre fire now (any others?). It would take very little work on their part to quickly produce rifles in this calibre. Looking forward to it . . . though the .17 Hornet is looking very appealing right now!

With pressures of 33,000psi they maybe using some type of closed bolt system like on the Rem 591 592 5mm rifles. Id be carful!

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererWait til you see the cost of ammo...then it might be more clear.

Midway has it, starts at $13.99-$15.99 Not Bad!!

I think it's a nice idea and like somebody else stated, in rimfire only areas or places that only allow the use of centerfires for night hunting this is great. We'll just have to wait and see how it does. I personally will never purchase one as I'm a handloader and if I wanted a .17, I'd pick up one of the centerfire versions and "download" it. This would probably be cheaper for myself, especially if I could fireform brass.

I think if somebody wanted to use this for coyotes, the industries going to have to come up with a stronger bullet for the .17. I think that's where the .17 comes up short right now. If Barnes offered a bullet or there was even a bonded bullet out there, that would help. No matter how much a .17 expands, it's still not going to leave a gaping exit hole.

I'm thinking if they came out with a .22 WSM rimfire, that would sell great. Then you'd have basically a .22 Hornet in a rimfire.

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700

I'm thinking if they came out with a .22 WSM rimfire, that would sell great. Then you'd have basically a .22 Hornet in a rimfire.

Not even close.

Originally Posted By: Furhunter Originally Posted By: jasonprox700

Not even close.

I know it wouldn't be a Hornet, but a higher power 22 Rimfire would be nice.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.

The 20 WSM has been done. 1/2 a century ago! But it was called a 5mm Rem Rimfire Magnum

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererWait til you see the cost of ammo...then it might be more clear.

Midway has it, starts at $13.99-$15.99 Not Bad!!

I thought the release on Winchesters site said ammo out by May 2013 or somewhere around there? If the ammo is out you would think a gun has to be close behind. I want one, I don't care if it costs what a centerfire does. When you have to hunt bobcat and fox with a rimfire, besides when the odd coyote comes in it'd be nice to have a bit more power.

According to the warden at the divisional offices I talked to. The fox and bobcat calibers are written to exclude any deer calibers to avoid deer hunters from taking those animals while deer hunting. Don't know, but I guess it sounds plausible. At least they could give us centerfires after the deer season ends.

I will sit back for a few months and let everybody else wring out which gun is the most accurate for the money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.

The 20 WSM has been done. 1/2 a century ago! But it was called a 5mm Rem Rimfire Magnum
Remington has made several metric designated rounds over the years that have become sales flops ( 8mm Rem Mag, 5 mm Rem mag, 6 mm Rem, I'm sure there's more). Doesn't make them bad cartridges, but if someone else makes it and adds a few FPS in velocity it will probably sell if history is any indicator.

Wasn't there a 6.5 Remington Mag too? Remington seems to suffer in the marketing department sometimes when it comes to metric designated rounds. Just saying...

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.

Remington has made several metric designated rounds over the years that have become sales flops ( 8mm Rem Mag, 5 mm Rem mag, 6 mm Rem, I'm sure there's more). Doesn't make them bad cartridges, but if someone else makes it and adds a few FPS in velocity it will probably sell if history is any indicator.

There was also the 7mm Express - a great cartridge that died at the starting gate.

Re-introduces as the Remington 280, it has done very well, though I don't understand why?

Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneOriginally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: DowneastWayneIf the new case is commercially successful, we could see a whole new series on rim fires. I'm thinking a 22 WSM, 20 WSM, maybe even a .243 diameter? It could be the start of something revolutionary in rim fire performance.

I've no problems with the 5 mm rem mag. I own one!
smile.gif

The deal with the 7mm Express was that people were confusing them with the 7mm Mag. with bad results. Like putting a 223 in a 222Mag.they will fire but you will not like the results,so Rem changed the cartridge designation to the 280 Remington.

Back