17hmr for yotes

s_xander

i tryed posting this once i dont think i did it right so here we go again
i got a buddy that has been using a 17hmr and says he has killed out to 200yrds with it ive seen the yotes he has shot
with just pen holes in the pelt so i know he was useing his 17 but 200yrds ? i use a 223 or the trusty ol 835 what do you guys think. will a 17hmr do the job at 200yrds ? im kinda skeptical myself they were body shots in the vitals by the way he said they fell right where they were standing

Welcome to the board,

With that said, you have opened a can of worms with a 17hmr gun as a coyote gun post.

Man, I like the 17hmr, I have one and your friend may have gotten really lucky. But 200yds is either embellishing or just plain lying. Maybe he miss judged the distance, who knows. The coyote deserves more respect than that. Under 100yds it is still an iffy caliber.

You are about to hear people say you are better off hitting them with the stock of the HMR instead of shooting them with it. Some like the HMR, others like the HMR and loathe the people that use them for Coyotes. Then there are others that like them and hunt with them for particular reasons.

Just telling you to put your thick skin on right now, it is about to get brutal with this post.

If you hit them good yes it will do the job. But if you don't thats another story. Have a buddy that hasn't had any trouble with the cartridge on coyotes. Hasn't lost one all season.

4.gif

Quote:

Works every time. Shove the barrel 10" into it's rectum and blow the crap out of it.

A man of many words /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Everyone's has an opinion. There are two ways that you can look at this. One keep your shots under 75-100 yards, hit your sweet spot at that range. Or, use a bigger gun. Me I have personally harvested 6 or 8 coyotes with a .17 HMR but I have areas that are rim fire only. And every one that I have taken has taken two steps and DRT. Its not something that I take to every stand. And on the other hand whats the difference between that and a shot gun at 60+ yards. Not everyone has a choke that keeps a real tight pattern at those distances. I have seen coyotes taken with a shot gun that only had a couple pellets in it. And I know that the .17 hmr is a h-ll of a lot faster than a shot gun load. Almost twice as fast. So the penetration will be a lot more. And the energy is a lot more also. But the whole key to it is shot placement. Now I'm too am going to sit back.

I'll take extra butter on mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

Hmm touchy subject! I had a 17 hmr a couple years ago,thinking I had the perfect Fox rifle. One night took it calling and had a nice Red show up at 40 yds. The shot I took was a head on in the chest using 17 Vmax. After the shot he just stood there for a second then fell down a twitch on the tail then nothing. I jump up and thinking to myself...How Cool this Rifle is. In the time it took me to get up and shine the lite back on it he was gone. Now is the time you get that Sick feeling. Looked every where,No Blood to track. Walked in Circles for 3 hours looking and nothing. Sold the Rifle and back to Shotgun. Im not going to call anyone a Lier,But please those who are getting Fox size and up where you are Hitting them? In the Eye or between them, Where? I would realy like to know Thanks Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It can be done within 100 yards but there are better choices.I've killed a coyote with my .17HMR with a 95 yard shot to the back of its head.It could have been luck though because about 2 months ago I shot one with a .204 three times and it didnt die.They arent unstoppable but their tougher than nails.I love my .17HMR but porcupines are about the biggest critter I would expect it to kill consistantly.
Two weeks ago a friend of mine was going to a shoot a big feral cat that has been hangin around his house.He dumped some cat food in a bowl and we waited for it to show up.He got his .17HMR out and loaded it with Hornady .17gr V-Maxes.The cat finally showed up and he shot the cat.The cat ran under a bunch of junk by my friends shed.He asked me where he had hit the cat and I told him that he missed but I never saw any dust fly up so I wasnt shure where he hit.A day later he calls me and tells me the tom cat just walked by his front door and had a huge hole in its shoulder.Apparently the V-Max couldnt make it through the muscle and the bone.If it does that to a cat then dont even try it on a yote.

Well, the naysayers have convinced me...the .17hmr is good on all the animals in North America, to a range of about 1000 yards. Happy hunting and I hope you kill a bunch of them!!!

From "Chuckhawks"

Just passing this along.

Quote:
Killing power

Assuming a proper hit in the animal's vitals, killing power is determined by a complex of factors including (but not entirely limited to) the width and depth of the wound channel. This, in turn, is influenced by bullet energy, frontal area, sectional density, and expansion characteristics. In other words, it is a complicated matter that is still not entirely understood.

There have been many systems devised to compare the killing power of rifle cartridges, most of them by people with a pre-existing bias of one sort or another. The best and least biased of such systems of which I am aware is the Optimum Game Weight (OGW) formula devised by Edward A. Matunas and published in the Lyman 47th Reloading Handbook. Matunas tried to account for a variety of factors, not just caliber or kinetic energy or momentum, the major failing of most killing power formulas.

Like all such systems, OGW is not perfect. I find that it seems to be most reliable when dealing with mainstream centerfire rifle cartridges on the order of the .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .30-06, and .338 Win. Mag. Since we are dealing with much less powerful small bore cartridges in this comparison, I suggest that we view the following OGW information as a comparative tool, not as an absolute guide. That, in any case, is usually the best approach when dealing with killing power formulas.

The OGW figure estimates the optimum live weight of the animal for which the cartridge is best suited at any given range. Note that the OGW weight is not the biggest animal the cartridge will kill, merely the optimum size animal for that range. Also note that individual bullet performance is not a factor in calculating optimum game weight; it is assumed that the hunter will choose an appropriate bullet for the job at hand. And it is also assumed that the bullet will hit the heart/lung area of the animal; brain or spine shots would obviously result in much higher OGW numbers, but they are not considered. Here are our two best long range loads for OGW comparison:

.17 HMR, 17 grain = 7 pounds at muzzle, 5 pounds at 50 yards, 3 pounds at 100 yards, 2 pounds at 150 yards, 1 pound at 200 yards.
.22 WMR, 40 grain = 17 pounds at muzzle, 9 lbs. at 50 yards, 5 pounds at 100 yards, 3 pounds at 150 yards, 2 pounds at 200 yards.
The OGW figures indicate that the .22 WMR has superior potential killing power at all ranges. We could summarize by saying that the .22 WMR has about as much killing power at 100 yards as the .17 HMR does at 50 yards. Since its MPBR is limited to about 125 yards, the .22 WMR is probably the better choice for large varmints and small predators within the limit of its MPBR. Beyond the MPBR, accurate bullet placement becomes increasingly difficult as the range increases, and bullet placement is the most important factor in actual killing power.

One more thing Okrattler hit it on the head.

Quote:
I love my .17HMR but porcupines are about the biggest critter I would expect it to kill consistantly.

Constistantly means alot to me. I have killed a few yotes with a 22lr in my time out of opputunity, but I wouldn't go out to "hunt coyotes" with it or a 17hmr. Use the right tool for the job. Anthing less is not fair to you or the prey that you seek to harvest. IMHO The argument that a 17hmr is an appropriate tool to HUNT coyote with is laughable at best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Would you hunt geese with 6 shot in 20GA? Same thing if ya ask me, nonsense.

wow i see some of you need to learn to open up and exspress your true feelings all that rage is not good for you so let it go guys let it go lol
anyways thanks for your responces guys i havent yote hunted in about 6 yrs and i was getting back in to it i set up a hunt with my buddy just cuz i wanna see for myself we will be hitting his spots not mine lol
i had to ask cuz i dont know anything about the 17hmr to hear him talk its the ultament yote killer i just had ahard time beleaving it cuz it is such a small rnd agin thanks for your replys

Back