17 Remington reloading

I'm getting super accuracy with many 25 and 30 grain bullets using H414 and WW760 powders and CCI450 primers. Berger's, Kindler Gold's, Nagel's, Hornady's, all have been well under an inch with the Berger's and Nagel's under 1/2". Shot two groups last night with the Berger 30 grain and the Nagel 30 grain T-000 that went 1/4" and 3/8" respectively.

Rem 700 LVS arrived friday. I loading new rem brass and hornady 25gr hp over WW760. I may try other also. Just want to get an idea what to expect from rifle/cartidge combo. Very pleased with rifle. X-MARK PRO trigger easily adjustable but will not go as light as stated, of course.
I plan to shoot today will post results later. Bob

First group with 25gr Hornady HP shot 3 shot groups under 1/2" over 26gr WW760. 1 1/2" to 2" groups wit 20 gr Dogtown over 23gr AA2520. Very pleased with 25gr accuracy will make them tighter!

One thing i'd like to add. I got my .17 Remington in the early 80's and the main thing on my mind was velocity.
When I got to 4,025(Oehler) I found the cases were growing 2-.003 each firing. I backed it down to 3,750 and everything got better, accuracy in the .04's, much less copper fouling,etc.
RL 7/25 gr. Hornady/Remington 7 1/2 primers works well in my rifle.

Stepchild

i was wondering if anyone could tell me the break in procedure of a 17 centerfire? everyone i talk to says to clean them thoroughly after every 7-10 shots. That would be hard to do considering the normaal break in alotta people use. Such as, shoot, clean. shoot twice, clean. shoot three times, clean, and so on and so on. thats how I was taught, not sure if thats right but, any break in advice would help out alot. thanks!

you might want to try n-133 and h322 as well they seem to shoot very well, i run a rem 7 1/2 primer you will like the 17 alot as stated above they are addicting Ron

Originally Posted By: stepchildOne thing i'd like to add. I got my .17 Remington in the early 80's and the main thing on my mind was velocity.
When I got to 4,025(Oehler) I found the cases were growing 2-.003 each firing. I backed it down to 3,750 and everything got better, accuracy in the .04's, much less copper fouling,etc.
RL 7/25 gr. Hornady/Remington 7 1/2 primers works well in my rifle.

Stepchild I also like to back off in the speed dept. to save wear and tear on the cases and gun....speed is great, but the old Mr. coyote can't tell if he been hit with a 25 gram hp at 3750 fps or one at 4100 fps...dead is dead.

My best load in a .17 Rem AR with 24 inch barrel and 1-10 twist has been 21.6gn H322 behind a 25gn Berger match moly. They are relatively slow (in the 3700 fps range, but a dime covers the group at 100 shot off a lead sled.

Back