17 Remington barrel length?

HighCountry66

I know the standard rule that an inch of barrel equals 100 fps approximately in velocity. I have also heard this does not apply to certain cartridges, maybe that have fast burning powder. Does this apply in the 17 Remington.

Remington BDL 24" Like the aesthetics of wood stock
Remington LV SF 22" Really like the idea of a 6-7 lb gun
Remington VS 26" Like the long barrel, don't know if I like the 9lbs.
CZ USA 25" (I think)Like the price

I have finally decided to get the 17 over the 204. At least till I can afford to get the 204 next. HA HA!

I have really been researching the 17 Remington and am planning on buying one. But before I make this purchase I want to find all the info that I can.

Also, what kind of velocity are guys getting with the 30 grain bullets. 28gr. 25gr. etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really think you should choose the barrel based on how you intend to use the rifle. I don't think the little difference in velocity it will make will be very noticeable in field use but a 26" heavy barrel will get old pretty quick toteing it around in the brush. Shooting PD's from a bench a heavy long barrel is a pleasure.
Handle each different rifle to see how it fits and feels and imagine using it in your hunting situation and buy the one that fills the bill best.
We often get bogged down in the wrong details and and end up with something that really doesn't do the job we need it for.
REM

Personally, I have a 26" barrel on my .17 Remington. The barrel is a fluted Lilja #6 contour, so it isn't a real heavy, heavy barrel, but it isn't a sporter barrel either. Like one poster said, try to find samples of rifles you are interested in and heft them, mount them to your shoulder, etc. to see what works and fits you best. It will be yours for a long time to come unless you trade it off or sell it.

My coyote load with the 30 gr. Starkes is getting 3,900 fps muzzle velocity. My 20 gr. V-Max load is moving at about 4,100 fps and my 25 gr. Hornady load leaves the muzzle at about 3,800+ fps. I have never shot any 28 gr. bullets in my rifle. You should work up loads that give you the absolute best accuracy and not worry a great deal about velocity.

Back